Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 951
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
porsche4life
AF Newbie

951 plan?

Im 18 and i just purchased a 1987 944 turbo with 77k miles. Im going into the air force november 1st. I am leaving my car with a family friend who owns a shop. while i finish up basic training and tech school im gonna send most of the $1200 dollars a month i recieve to them inorder to have suspension and brake work as well as clutch. This should be over the course of about 6 months.when i return from my training i will take out a loan and send the car to have the motor built. my question is how much power can i actually make. id be willling to spend up to 30k on the motor. i know its excessive but i really dont mind. im in love with the car and i want to amke the most out of it i possibly can. the motor already has a low 8.0:1 compression with forged internals. but should i spend the extra money to use a 3.0 crank from a 968 or whatever and replace the internals. that should take me up to 2.7l or so and refresh the bottom end. ive even heard of a way to mod the motor to dry sump. i believe it was broad foot racing. its sposed to not only help protect the motor but allows it to be mounted even lower into the bay. i hear alot about 500hp 951s out there but everyonce in awhile i read about 700-800hp monsters. right now i am thinking about sending the car to protosport in new jersey to have the motor work done. my friends father has a 76 911 with a turbod 3.2 making 500hp on street gas. he says there good but if anyone has some other names that would be greatly appreciated.
porsche4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Re: 951 plan?

Talk to the fine folks on www.rennlist.com in the 944 Turbo/S forum. I don't like linking to other forums, but these guys know how to get you a 500hp 951.

I assume they'll refer you to either www.lindseyracing.com or www.vitesseracing.com

As for 700-800 hp monster, not yet, I've seen some close to 700, many around 400-500, but the stuff to get 700+ hasn't really been developed yet, be prepared to spend somewhere around 40K to get it to those numbers.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
porsche4life
AF Newbie

Re: 951 plan?

alright that makes sense. i knew for sure you could do 500. i read about 700hp cars on the net. i guess you cant believe everything you here some people are a little too optomistic as to what there cars can actually do. but i had to ask cause you never know. i know there are alot of japanese cars pushing numbers such as this with relatively small displacement motors but i doubt they have the power curve of common 951 setups. thanks for the info i will check it out.
porsche4life is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 951