Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Concorde
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
copcap96
AF Newbie

Water Pumps

I have a 2004 Concorde LX with a 2.7 liter engine. For a while now I have had an intermitent coolant leak. It would spit out some coolant at a fairly rapid rate, but then stop. I would fill the coolant back up, and then it will be fine for weeks or even months at a time.

The last week or so it has become more of a constant problem. I have been told that when water pumps on these cars start to fail, this is what happens. There is apparently coolant getting in where the bearing is, and being discharged through a "weep hole". Does any of this sound correct?

I am wondering how the water pump is assembled. I am assuming that the bearing in the pump is separated from the coolant by a seal, and when the seal wears out, this is the result. Is that correct?

Also, seeing as how the pump is driven by the timing chain, is there any way that a failed pump could knock the timing chain off and take the engine out with it?
copcap96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
countachqv
AF Newbie

Re: Water Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by copcap96 View Post
I have a 2004 Concorde LX with a 2.7 liter engine. For a while now I have had an intermitent coolant leak. It would spit out some coolant at a fairly rapid rate, but then stop. I would fill the coolant back up, and then it will be fine for weeks or even months at a time.

The last week or so it has become more of a constant problem. I have been told that when water pumps on these cars start to fail, this is what happens. There is apparently coolant getting in where the bearing is, and being discharged through a "weep hole". Does any of this sound correct?

I am wondering how the water pump is assembled. I am assuming that the bearing in the pump is separated from the coolant by a seal, and when the seal wears out, this is the result. Is that correct?

Also, seeing as how the pump is driven by the timing chain, is there any way that a failed pump could knock the timing chain off and take the engine out with it?
you miss to give the mileage. if you have a leak via weep hole, intermitent or not, its time for a new pump. I had the issue too on my 3.2. A failed pump could knock you timing belt over time I believe. Everyone said to also change the TB while in there. I did this myself. not that bad if you are methodical and follow the procedure. For me it was a week end deal
countachqv is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Concorde