Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight
Eighty Eight Includes the '97-'98 Regency and '96-'99 LSS Models
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
joeyrossmiller12
AF Newbie

Question 1994 88 royale LS jerking and dying on me

It started out small with the car just stuttering right around 52 mph when i was accellerating. it continually has gotten much worse. its not horrible, it doesnt jerk whenever i accelerate. also, it started dying on me. this has also gotten much worse over the past couple months. the rpm's just drop so low that it dies whenever im coming to a stop or slowing down. I have changed the air filter, fuel filter, plugs, wires, and iv had the fuel injectors flushed. nothing seems to be helping. what could it be? thanks guys i appreciate it
joeyrossmiller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: 1994 88 royale LS jerking and dying on me

If you put the car in neutral before coming to a stop, will the engine die? Try this & post back.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
joeyrossmiller12
AF Newbie

im gonna try that. thanks. ill post back again.
but i thought id add that im getting horrible gas milage. around 12 mpg. and it doesnt matter what the temperature is outside. weather its below 0 or 60 degrees. it does the same thing. im just trying to slim down the possibilities. thanks tho
Old 01-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
joeyrossmiller12
AF Newbie

on a trip where i made 14 stops, it died 3 times when i tried stopping normally with the car in neutral. which is the same as when it was in drive and i tried to stop.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrossmiller12
on a trip where i made 14 stops, it died 3 times when i tried stopping normally with the car in neutral. which is the same as when it was in drive and i tried to stop.
Good, now that eliminates the torque converter lock-up as the culprit! This sounds like you may have a bad coil(s)! Have you checked fuel pressure, or changed the fuel filter? Any codes? Try this; hold the brake on while the car is not moving & in drive, then bring engine RPM up to about 1500 and see if it is missing (stuttering).

Old 01-15-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
joeyrossmiller12
AF Newbie

ill try that. but yes, i have changed the fuel filter, checked the fuel pressure when i had the injector flushed. and we couldnt get the car to communicate with the machine so therefore no codes.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
joeyrossmiller12
AF Newbie

i had it at about 1500 rpms for about a minute straight and it didnt seem to miss at all. but as soon as i let off the gas it did die
Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyrossmiller12
i had it at about 1500 rpms for about a minute straight and it didnt seem to miss at all. but as soon as i let off the gas it did die
Well, this sounds like you may have eliminated the secondary ignition components. i.e. coils, wires & plugs. Have ever noticed the check engine light coming on during any of this "sputtering & dying"? You could have EGR, MAP, or MAF problems! This is hard to diagnose without a scanner. Call some of your local shops and ask if they have a full function capable scanner that can communicate with the 94 OBD 1.5 (OBD I with OBD II ALDL). Your 1994 is an OBD2 hybrid. It is part ODB1 and part OBD2; hence, the term “OBD1.5”. Your 16-pin connector is OBDII and you cannot get flash codes like on the OBDI 12-pin.

Most scanners will not work here, however the GM "Tech-I & II, Snap-On MT2400, (with correct key) Actron CP9140 & CP9150 will work. Try your local Advanced Auto Parts, they sell Actron scanners and some of them use the CP9140 to test customer cars. I use a Matco Tools 9640B professional enhanced scan tool on the 94-95. It has the 16 pin OBD11 connector and reads the OBD1 model specific codes, as well as Global OBDII codes.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #9
joeyrossmiller12
AF Newbie

well that might explain why i couldnt get it to read my car. ill have to check what kind of scanner they used. but thanks alot. this sends me in a much better direction
Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 AM   #10
RemyPulse
AF Newbie

Hello, I know this post was from years back...but in case anyone else needs help:

My olds 88 had a (somewhat) similar problem..only I could not get it out of my yard without dying when I let off the gas. Check your battery cable ends for to see if they are dirty and/or corroded. We cleaned mine and my car is back to his normal self and no longer dies.
RemyPulse is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Eighty Eight