Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 03:27 PM   #1
NeoFreek
AF Regular

Is this bad?

Just today I was out warming up my car ('82 Chevy Caprice). I needed to get the snow off and recharge the battery. I didn't move it, I just left it where it was parked. It was on for a good 20 minutes while I was getting the snow off. When I turned the engine off and pulled the key out the eninge felt and faintly sounded like it was still running. I then started it up again and shut it off only to find out that the engine wouldn't shut off. I did that a few times before trying putting it into drive then park then shutting it off. That had finally worked.

Should I get my car looked at? Or is this normal?
Old 03-11-2002, 09:52 PM   #2
Seabass
AF Newbie

Yeah engine never shuts off....I leave it running 24/7....never have to worry about warming it up. I have a standby group of blondes in bikinis as on pitcrew that ensure the cars never runs out of gas.

Yes I would have it looked at....obviously (if your car is not turning off) something is wrong.

C
Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 11:30 AM   #3
higgimonster
AF Regular

First thing you should do is pull the plugs and check those out. If they are white then your problem is too much heat.
When you turn off the engine you are just turning off the spark plugs, more or less. But your cylinder walls, spark plug, and/or piston are all still very hot; hot enough to combust the fuel and keep the engine turning. I am assuming you have a mechanically (engine driven) fuel delivery system which is why it will continue to run. In essence, your spark ignition engine has turned into a compression ignition engine (like a diesel engine).

So, check your plugs and see if they are white (if you open up any of the Chilton's auto manuals there is a chart in the back cover with pictures of differnt spark plug conditions and what they mean, check Pep-Boys or Barnes and Noble for them).

If they are white go to an auto parts store and pick up a set with a higher heat rating (if you aren't sure what rating to get ask someone, they usually have databases of info like that on hand).

You should also get your coolant flushed and the system cleaned (it is easier to have it done then to do it yourself, especially if it is snowing out)

This should remedy the problem (leaveing a car that old running for 20min with out moving is not really a good idea )

Hope things work out
higgimonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 01:06 AM   #4
higgimonster
AF Regular

Quick revision to my previous post:
Through research of an exact answer as to whether detonation noise is from flame-front collision or the instant flame propogation hitting the cylinder walls I learned a little more info concerning your problem.
Basically, there are surfaces in your cylinders that are not smoth enough to disipate heat correctly so they begin to glow red hot. Usually it is carbon deposits on the piston and cylinder walls and the plug tip.
What was happening is a form of detonation termed "run-on" (fitting ).
So, when you pull the plugs also check for tiny specs of 'junk' on either of the electrodes. If you see any that usually means they are in the cylinder too. This is not a serious problem and definetly not worth an engine rebuild, just take care to keep coolant in the car and use a fuel injector cleaning solution (poured into a full tank of gas, usually found at a gas station) the next time you fill your tank.
higgimonster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical