Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
dtownfb
AF Regular

2004 Quest S - Oil pressure light

I've noticed twice in the past month the oil pressure light (looks like an oil can with a drip of oil coming out) has flickered on as I am turning off the van in my driveway. My wife is the daily driver of this vehicle so i am not sure if it happening more often. It comes on so brief, you can easily miss it. I have 70k miles on the Quest and change the oil every 4000-5000 miles.

I know the manual says to have it checked out. I wanted to find out what are some potential issues. Also i did a search online for "oil pressure and Nissan" and this seems to be a common issue. As a safe guard, i plan to have the oil changed on Friday by Nissan just in case it was the oil filter causing an issue.

Thanks for any help.
dtownfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2004 Quest S - Oil pressure light

I would check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, to make sure of proper oil pressure. According to FSM idle should be believe 13PSI and @ 2000 RPM should be 43 PSI.

Could be a faulty oil pressure sending unit.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
ctwright
AF Enthusiast

From what you are describing it is perfectly normal, your oil pressure sending unit is working perfect. You said it happens as you are TURNING OFF your van in the driveway, it flickers. When you turn the car off the oil pressure drops. And seeing how you just cut the car off the indicator lights may only be visible for a split second if at all when one is getting a signal. Which is why it flickers when you cut the car off.
ctwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
dtownfb
AF Regular

Thanks for the replies. To be safe, I'll have my mechanic change the oil and check the oil pressure. My last oil change (about 3500 miles ago) was done at Monro Muffler (new management; really miss the old manager). I wonder if the oil filter they used could have something to do with this.

Thanks again. I'll report back.
dtownfb is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena