Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

1995 Quest problems !

I have a 1995 Quest that is giving me fits ! It starting acting up two days ago and I've tried in my amateurish way to fix it with no success ! Help !! It starts and idles fine , problems begins when you try to accelerate on the road . The engine acts like it's hitting a rev limiter or something . It accelerates up to about 2500 rpms then drops to around 1500 rpms. Then it repeats this cycle over and over . While this is going on , the transmission is very slow to shift , probably as a result of this up and down engine cycling .It has been suggested to me that the problem is a plugged cat. converter and I think there's a good chance it may be the throttle position sensor but I don't have any way to check either and can't afford to just throw money at it till we figure out what the problem is . There is a " check engine " light on and since it's a 1995 model , it doesn't have the OBII scan capability .Either I fix it or I'll have to take it to the Nissan dealer or some similarly equipped garage . The cost will be more than the vans worth so if any one can help me , it will be greatly appreciated !!
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1995 Quest problems !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblu65
I have a 1995 Quest that is giving me fits ! It starting acting up two days ago and I've tried in my amateurish way to fix it with no success ! Help !! It starts and idles fine , problems begins when you try to accelerate on the road . The engine acts like it's hitting a rev limiter or something . It accelerates up to about 2500 rpms then drops to around 1500 rpms. Then it repeats this cycle over and over . While this is going on , the transmission is very slow to shift , probably as a result of this up and down engine cycling .It has been suggested to me that the problem is a plugged cat. converter and I think there's a good chance it may be the throttle position sensor but I don't have any way to check either and can't afford to just throw money at it till we figure out what the problem is . There is a " check engine " light on and since it's a 1995 model , it doesn't have the OBII scan capability .Either I fix it or I'll have to take it to the Nissan dealer or some similarly equipped garage . The cost will be more than the vans worth so if any one can help me , it will be greatly appreciated !!
Have you looked at the SERVICE MANUALS thread in the treads section of this forum? It is a link to Factory Service Maunal for the Quest.

There is a connector by the starter in the engine compartment that you can disconnect and use a jumper wire to retrieve codes. With engine off seperate the connector. Turn on ignition, apply wire to terminals for 2 seconds (no more no less) with ignition turned to run positon without engine running. The wire needs to be spplied at the bottom left terminal of the connector when the connector is seperated (movable connector) and the bottom left of bottom connector half that is stable. After 2 seconds reconnect connector and watch check engine light for flashes (long flash is for 1st number and shorter flashes are for 2nd digit in code--Example long flash= 1----2 shorter flashes = 2 meaning code 12.) Here is a link that may help you:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...or%20location/

The throttle position sensors do wear out (it is common wear part) To test disconnect connector for TPS. Using a multimeter (voltage reading) put a tester lead on the middle terminal in connector and bottom terminal. Engine off, slowly open throttle watching the voltage reading if at any time the voltage stops or does not slowly increase as you are opening throttle the TPS is malfunctioning.

Hope this helps

PS: Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you some information that will help you more.

Last edited by tempfixit; 05-02-2008 at 03:00 PM.
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: 1995 Quest problems !

Finally figured out the problem - was the throttle position sensor . Seems to run okay now . Thanks for your help !
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena