Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 02:45 AM   #1
quiver
AF Newbie

Service engine soon light on

2000 GLE- Service engine soon light came on about 79700 miles, went off couple of days later. Came on again at about 80200 miles. Thought is was some type of schedule maintenance crap. I have searched forum on resetting the ecu but no luck. Any suggestions?
quiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:23 PM   #2
tdaily
AF Regular

Could be a maintenence thing but it could be some miscelaneous sensor that isn't performing just right. Something that you wouldn't notice in your everyday driving. Unfortunately the only way to know is to hook it up to a computer. There is a diagnostic plug (just under the interior fuse box on the 1995-99s, not sure where it is on the 2000+) that a small handheld computer can be plugged into. You can clear the light with one of thoes but their fairly expensive and most mom&pop service centers aren't going to have them. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to do it on your own either. Unless someone else here knows something I don't there isn't a fancy button-pushing combination that will help you out.

Tdaily

tdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:32 PM   #3
quiver
AF Newbie

Thanks tdaily for you input. The only thing I have noticed that don't seem right, is every morning, when I start car up, if I don't let it warm up 2-3 min. before I take off, I get some hesitation. After that everything seems normal.
quiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:59 PM   #4
osteridge
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to osteridge
my service engine soon light came on in my 99 max and a couple days later went off but just to be safe i have an uncle that works at the local nissan dealership so i took it to him he hooked it up to the scanner and it came back with some bs about a pcv valve and a nats malfunction which in turn wasnt shit too fix took a couple minutes and all was well
Old 09-08-2003, 03:07 PM   #5
k-man
AF Newbie

Question service engine soon light

I have a 2000 Maxima SE with 61K miles on it now. About 2 yrs back around 32K miles the service engine soon light came on. I had already done the serive and was worried what happened. I tool it to a dealer and they found a 'faulty oxygen sensor' caused the problem. Since it was within the 3yr/36k miles warranty, the dealer didn't chager me anything.
However again at 58k miles the light came on again. I called the dealer and now they want about $100 just to find out what's wrong ! So !wanted to wait till the 60K miles service which will include it for free. But then within 2 weeks the light disappeared by itself ! I did my 60K serive but forgot to mention the service light on problem and ofcourse they didn't check anyhitng.
Then about 2 weeks back the light came on again ! It stayed on and onece even blinked. I belive its the same faulty oxygen sensor again and I have read TSR about that in NHSTA. the light went off last week but came on again today.
I have no noticeable problem driving the car, but its a annoyance i have to fix. th edealer is asking $100 jus tto find out and then more.
Do anyone know if sensors related to 'emmissions' is under longer warranty like 7 yr/75 miles in CA ?
Also how can I fix this problem myself ? How to change oxygen sensors ? any idead ?
k-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:24 AM   #6
SkyTorch
AF Enthusiast

Exclamation Look 4 little things

Every damn thing is plugged into the computer. I had my service light come on when I lost my gas cap. I was then told if the cap isn't tight, I may get same the idiot light.
SkyTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:17 PM   #7
Caracicatriz
AF Enthusiast

If you ever need to check the codes for the check engine soon light just go to autozone and they do it for free.
Caracicatriz is offline   Reply With Quote