Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 02:01 AM   #91
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Chopper 300

Will try and order some although I've never worked with larger diameter alloy piping. Don't even know how to cut a pipe of that diameter. But it would look pretty classy with metal pipes rather than plastic, and it will probably be more stable as well.
joelwideqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:48 AM   #92
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Chopper 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist View Post
Will try and order some although I've never worked with larger diameter alloy piping. Don't even know how to cut a pipe of that diameter. But it would look pretty classy with metal pipes rather than plastic, and it will probably be more stable as well.
I always cut these pipes using my scalpel. Just roll the piece a few times forward and backwards with the scalpel on the part where you want to cut it and use a bit of force. Then you can brake of the part and it should be straight. Just a bit of sanding afterwards to clean up and you're done.

David
Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 AM   #93
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketje View Post
I always cut these pipes using my scalpel. Just roll the piece a few times forward and backwards with the scalpel on the part where you want to cut it and use a bit of force. Then you can brake of the part and it should be straight. Just a bit of sanding afterwards to clean up and you're done.

David
Super, a bit easier than the brass rods I've used before... Thanks!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #94
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

As stated above I've begun to slightly rethink this project. It comes down to two reasons.
1. I've found some new inspiration.
2. Some of the MiniTuning stuff isn't too great (especially the front wheel and rear wheel spokes.

Modeling friend and AF member Ketje supported the build with a set of Yamaha M1 rims. Below I've tested a front tyre from a scrap Ducati 916 bu is fractions of an inch too big. Have to test some other one.

Plan is to grind the outer parts of the rear rim down so there will be a circle no wider than the spokes left. With a bit of luck this part is possible to swap with the center piece of the MiniTuning rear rim. Perhaps with a bit more than a little luck but it looks promising and is worth a try.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #95
utzelu
AF Newbie

I like the new breed of custom bikes which combines the sporty looks of wheels and forks with the long, low stance. Is this what you aim to replicate?
Keep up the good work.

http://scalemodelsadventures.blogspot.com
utzelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #96
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I saw this "Porsche Tribute" by Custom Wolf and got totally hooked. I'm not doing a repkica but a lot of their ideas are going into my build!

Last edited by joelwideqvist; 01-09-2015 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Lost link
Old 01-12-2015, 04:39 AM   #97
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Hmm, routing och the exhaust pipes where more trouble than I thought. There is very empty between the engine and the transmission. Routing the pipes over the tranny will leave a ugly looking gap. Perhaps I will have to do shorter pipes that exits in that gap.
A bit like this but behind the engine block.

http://www.santiagochopper.com/shop/...9.09engine.jpg
Old 01-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #98
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Started working on the rear wheel spoke swap tonight.
I eye meassured the spoke diameter and put the saw just flat onto the outer center piece that holds the Tamiya tyres in place. Cutting took a while but went ok.

The part will need some cleaning up, I'll probably fill the spokes too. On the good side the spoke part is exactly the same thickness as the MiniTuning part. I will try and mount the part on a rotor tool to take the outer diameter down.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #99
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Hmm, think I have to rework the fork angle to get the bike to look good with this smaller front wheel and fatter fork. Never done this sort of work before so bare with me. Have to make some sort of Lego jig so that I can measure the new angle. Just had a glance in the motorsports section and seeing what others do with styrene this can't be impossible :-)
Old 01-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #100
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Anyone that can part with a set of later era gp forks? Or just the calipers if that helps. I need the two point mounted radials from say 2004 and onwards. Preferrably Brembo.

Ps 100th post ;-)
Old 01-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #101
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

With the desk full of rod and tube in different dimensions I've started to work on the front fork. A 2003 Valencia RC211V kit was made donor kit for the fork bottoms, calipers and triclamps. The latter has to be modified to take care of the increased rake of the fork. Honestly I don't really know how to calculate that but that's another days concern :-) There will certainly be putty involved
Old 01-20-2015, 02:13 PM   #102
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

As I never tend to finish one step before I start another I left the wheel spokes and started on the fork. First I thought it had to be totally scratch built but I changed my mind. I still have to decide how to do the triclamps but the lower end fork parts were stolen from a -03 Honda as mentioned in the last post.

I cut the sliders away and removed the reservoir

Then I cut off the caliper mounts as they have to be adjusted in angle to still be radial as per the new fork rake

Sliders and outer tube will be made out of 4 and 5 mm aluminum tubing. The triclamps, whichever I decide to use will have to be heavily modified. But first I have to take a look on the tube where the triclamp mounts on the frame. Perhaps the angle has to be modified.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 AM   #103
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Well, the problem with the triclamps may not be that big after all.
The kit triclamps has a larger offset on the lower yoke making the rake increase. Using a set of modified gp triclamps the rake will automatically be straighter and more aggressive.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #104
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Good work so far. Waiting for the front fork to fit !!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #105
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketje View Post
Good work so far. Waiting for the front fork to fit !!
Some sort of test fit will probably be possibel to show during the weekend. I have to do that to see if the rake is alright or if the bike looks like it has bumped into a wall

My fear is that the fork mount in the frame is positioned a bit high and that the tank angle will be a problem when it comes to the handle bar. We'll see.
/Joel

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chopper , scratchbuilding , wide rear wheel , zero paints
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes