Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #61
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Chopper 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roca46 View Post
I forgot to mention, of course you will have to sand it with sandpaper, under water, with special paper to work with water and with a very smooth movement like doing circles.

Roca.
Ok, perhaps this is where I do wrong. I never sand under water. Dry sanding might be too rough.

On the progress level there isn't much to report. A lot of sanding and filling mostly. I started reworking the seat. I have this bike in mind when it comes to seat/fender:

And this is the original kit seat, with some basic lines painted out:

I just cut it with a modeling knife and I'm going to will the underside up with epoxy putty.

/Joel
Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #62
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Some input needed:

Starting this bike I decided that it should get a "jockey shift" a stick instead of a pedal for shifting through the gears. That could then mean a clutch lever on the shift or a clutch pedal where the pedal usually is. When thinking about it now I think the jockey shift is more of a bobber bike feature and perhaps would look weird on my bike. You haven't really seen where I'm heading yet but take a look at the bike in the last post and you'll get some idea. What do you think?

Same struck me about the forks. Found a spring shock fork setup in resin on ebay but perhaps that is also too bobberish?

I had to waste the idea about a housing for the secondary drive front pulley as it wrecked as soon as I came near with abrasive paper, I would never get it to look ok.

Today I'm working on the rear wheel axle. As it is too hard to drill all the way through the 25 mm resin rim it is going to be two pieces of metal tubing, one for each side that is also holding the brake disc and the rear pulley. Right now I just can't find any good metal sawing blades...
/J

Last edited by joelwideqvist; 11-05-2009 at 08:16 AM.
joelwideqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #63
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist View Post
Today I'm working on the rear wheel axle. As it is too hard to drill all the way through the 25 mm resin rim it is going to be two pieces of metal tubing, one for each side that is also holding the brake disc and the rear pulley. Right now I just can't find any good metal sawing blades...
/J
This turned out to be a really bad idea, really unstable. I went about drilling through the whole shabang and it came out good. Will be easier to assemble later on. First I got to fix the swing ends as the glue joint wrecked when I drilled for the axle...

/J
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #64
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hi Joel,

It seems that this project is turning a little bit difficult, well I'm not an expert on that type of bikes but If I were you I would make the forks with styrene tube, like the ones of evergreen... playing with the different diameters you can get a good result.

But, with projects like this I found the PC and drawing programs very helpful and I say that after the failures of the Rs Cube... Kr... I learned now that the PC is almost a must to make scratchbuildings.
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #65
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

You are right Roca, but difficult is fun isn't it?

I've never been to good at drawing programs and 3D rendering so I think I skip that part and do my best without it.
/J
Old 12-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #66
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Well, well, well, look what stumbled out of the closet and onto my work bench. A build not touched since november 2009.
Have a few gp-builds started as well but this seemed more fun to complete. Cya ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to joelwideqvist For This Useful Post:
cinqster (01-02-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #67
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Picked box out today together with my notes from when I put the kit on the shelf.dry fitted the parts to get back on track. Some ideas are coming back, others have to be redesigned. Right side belt drive looks like a hard one to accomplish but I'll have to fix it somehow.

Exhaust system has to be reworked. There are two choices in the kit, straight pipes and these

I find them a bit too much alongside the fact that they will not fit together with the secondary drive. I cut the parts in an attempt to shorten the pipes and still use the trumpets but they look oversized on a short pipe. Something has to be scratched. Then I can make the front cylinder pipe go above the clutch which in my opinion looks meaner.

Something like this
Old 01-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #68
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

My god, AF's gone slow. I'll keep posting til there is no one left ;-)

After 1000009099000 layers of putty the tank finally comes to an end.

Mock-up with tank and start of rear fender. Can't really decide if I'll go with the narrow one or a short wide one...

Old 01-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #69
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

I need to fill up and shape the top area of the swing/fender. It's quite fragile and need to be sanded easily. The basic putty isn't good for filling/shaping and my milliput dries very hard. Any suggestions for a suitable putty to use?
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #70
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist View Post
I need to fill up and shape the top area of the swing/fender. It's quite fragile and need to be sanded easily. The basic putty isn't good for filling/shaping and my milliput dries very hard. Any suggestions for a suitable putty to use?
Hey Joël,

maybe you can try Tamiya 2 component putty. Before it is hardened, you can smooth this with the use of some water. Afterwards it will be very strong.
Great to see you back in the sadle for this one.

I'm still trying to find some more time for modelling, so at this moment it's a bit of a problem.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:10 AM   #71
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Thanks Ketje! I can't allow the many hours per week I invested in modelling 6-8 years ago but I'll try and do something one evening a week. Unfortunately I don't have the painting space anymore but I've invested in a paint booth, problem is to pick everything out each time...

I've ordered some epoxy putty and will try it out. Think it was the Tamiya kind I found hard, not Milliput, so I'll have a go with the latter.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #72
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Working on the swing/fender setup. Some putty work to do then I think I can start to paint this one.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #73
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Tedious work with the rims is coming to an end.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #74
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

A GP-builder looks for references. A chopper builder looks for inspiration :-)

Last edited by joelwideqvist; 02-04-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #75
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Started shaping the seat using Tamiya epoxy putty and my Dreml. A bit left but you get the idea right?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chopper , scratchbuilding , wide rear wheel , zero paints
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes