Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Anyone willing to do some resin-casting?

I need one part (rear wing from the Mercedes C9) resin-casted. I have a second kit of this car, so I can send the actual part I need copied. However, I'm not set up for this and have never done it before, so I thought I'd ask and see if anyone would be willing to do this? I'd be willing to pay for time and expense. I'm located in the US.

Thanks!

Daniel
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
kitbash
AF Newbie

Re: Anyone willing to do some resin-casting?

Dude, resin-casting isn't really all that tough and it's something every model builder should have in his (or her) arsenal of skills. Go to the Micro Mark website; they have everything you need to get started. Once you get into it, you'll find yourself using it constantly for lots of little jobs. It's easy and fun, too. Go for it!

Craig
kitbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitbash
Dude, resin-casting isn't really all that tough and it's something every model builder should have in his (or her) arsenal of skills. Go to the Micro Mark website; they have everything you need to get started. Once you get into it, you'll find yourself using it constantly for lots of little jobs. It's easy and fun, too. Go for it!

Craig
It certainly isn't difficult to do, but you need some resin and some silicon rubber.
Why buy lots of each (at least 1/2 liter from each) in order to cast 1 piece? It would be cheaper to buy a new kit.
I don't know how long you can use the resin and the silicone rubber once you opened it, but you need to replicate lots of parts to use it all.
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

If you have a Hobby Lobby store close to you, they sell the Alumilite casting kits. They sell a large kit, and they also have a smaller kit.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jano11
It certainly isn't difficult to do, but you need some resin and some silicon rubber.
Why buy lots of each (at least 1/2 liter from each) in order to cast 1 piece? It would be cheaper to buy a new kit.
I don't know how long you can use the resin and the silicone rubber once you opened it, but you need to replicate lots of parts to use it all.
This is very good advice.

Sure, basic resin casting isn't all that hard but the initial set-up costs are quite high - more so when you factor in the resin and silicone wasted in building up your learning curve.

Unless you are a scratch-building fanatic and mega prolific conversion master, the honest truth is that you won't reach for your resin supplies all that often and most resins have a shelf life of around 6 months after opening.

Your original idea of asking someone to cast the piece for you is much better but even better is if someone has a spare original kit wing

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
racer93
AF Enthusiast

I was trying to avoid the initial start-up costs of the whole deal, especially because I don't scratchbuild much or do resin-casting.

Sure, if anyone has an extra rear wing for the C9...I'll give $$ for it!!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

I'm not sure exactly what the C9's spoiler looks like, but generally speaking for a part like a spoiler it would be vastly easier and cheaper to either scratchbuild it or order spare parts than it would be to try casting it. Resin is fragile in long thin parts like this, and would be very likely break or warp (or both).
Old 10-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
TvD

Are you looking for rear-wing of the Tamiya C9 kit? If so, I might be able to help you out. I recently got a half-used kit (without the body-shell) for spares from a fellow modeller. I'll check if the wing is still in there and if so could send it out to you.

Tim
TvD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Sweet! That would be great if you could!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
DasWiesel
AF Enthusiast

Tamiya seems to reissue the Sauber C9 very soon, you can already place your order at HLJ. Why donīt you write them an email to get a replacement part?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #11
leokc_ng
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Anyone willing to do some resin-casting?

Hi all
Just want to share a cheap alternative way to cast small parts with everyone.

Been in this forum for a while and sure see lots of modeller struggling from casting their model. Guess the main concern are as follow
1. hight initial cost for silicon rubber and resin.
2. Most of the time we will only use the silicon mold for a few times only and it require quit alot of effort to make the mold

So "Oyumaru" is what you need. Oyumaru is a japanese Molding material. Which is is like rubber / hard silicon rubber when cool, and you can soften it in 80C water. The great thing about this is it is completely reuseable. All you need to do is to put it in the hot water again when you want to make another mold.

So once you made your oyumaru mold, you can cast your parts with 2 parts putty or resin. Will write a tutorial for everyone in the future when I have time. But at the mean time go and google Oyumaru. There quite a few japanese tutorial available in the internet.

PM me if you guys have further question. (Happy casting everyone )

leokc_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #12
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokc_ng
Hi all
Just want to share a cheap alternative way to cast small parts with everyone.

Been in this forum for a while and sure see lots of modeller struggling from casting their model. Guess the main concern are as follow
1. hight initial cost for silicon rubber and resin.
2. Most of the time we will only use the silicon mold for a few times only and it require quit alot of effort to make the mold

So "Oyumaru" is what you need. Oyumaru is a japanese Molding material. Which is is like rubber / hard silicon rubber when cool, and you can soften it in 80C water. The great thing about this is it is completely reuseable. All you need to do is to put it in the hot water again when you want to make another mold.

So once you made your oyumaru mold, you can cast your parts with 2 parts putty or resin. Will write a tutorial for everyone in the future when I have time. But at the mean time go and google Oyumaru. There quite a few japanese tutorial available in the internet.

PM me if you guys have further question. (Happy casting everyone )
Thanks for this excellent info!
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #13
ariel
AF Regular

It would be alot cheaper to just buy another kit. Its going to at least cost you $30 to get a starter kit of resin.
ariel
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
leokc_ng
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
It would be alot cheaper to just buy another kit. Its going to at least cost you $30 to get a starter kit of resin.
ariel
It will cost you less than $10 to get a small box of oyumaru, and I am pretty sure most of the moduller in here had their 2 party putty

leokc_ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
TvD

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer93
Sweet! That would be great if you could!
Part A9, right? got it! Send me a PB with your address and it'll be on your way!
TvD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling