Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Sidekick
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
John_Johnson82
AF Newbie

Unhappy Zuki Ignition Problems

I have a 95 Zuki Sidekick 16valve. I have just rebuilt the motor for a rock crawler and I am having ignition problems. After the motor was re assembled and put back into the chassis, I plugged everything back up and when I went to start it it did nothing but turn over. I traced the problem back to the coil where I was getting no spark. I figured the coil could be bad so I replaced it. After the new coil would not spark I thought maybe the ig. module could have burnt up, I had it tested and it was good. This is where things get complicated. After checking my fuses and checking for broken wires (I thought I might have unplugged something) I took a voltmeter and with the key in the on position checked the current going to the coil. THERE WAS POWER GOING TO THE COIL AND PLENTY OF IT!!! I cant figure it out!
I know there is power going to the coil but why wont the coil put out a spark? Ive tried 3 diffrent coils. Is theres something that causes power to die at the coil that I dont know about. Im really lost and any response would be greatly apppreciated. Ive never expirenced a problem like this before.
John_Johnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
mrzuk1
AF Newbie

Re: Zuki Ignition Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Johnson82
I have a 95 Zuki Sidekick 16valve. I have just rebuilt the motor for a rock crawler and I am having ignition problems. After the motor was re assembled and put back into the chassis, I plugged everything back up and when I went to start it it did nothing but turn over. I traced the problem back to the coil where I was getting no spark. I figured the coil could be bad so I replaced it. After the new coil would not spark I thought maybe the ig. module could have burnt up, I had it tested and it was good. This is where things get complicated. After checking my fuses and checking for broken wires (I thought I might have unplugged something) I took a voltmeter and with the key in the on position checked the current going to the coil. THERE WAS POWER GOING TO THE COIL AND PLENTY OF IT!!! I cant figure it out!
I know there is power going to the coil but why wont the coil put out a spark? Ive tried 3 diffrent coils. Is theres something that causes power to die at the coil that I dont know about. Im really lost and any response would be greatly apppreciated. Ive never expirenced a problem like this before.
contact sean at aftermarket industries he knows alot about this subject he does the conversions all the time

www.aftermarket4x4.com
aftermarket4x4@cox.net
mrzuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
choogo
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Zuki Ignition Problems

iam having the same problem you are having please give info on how you addressed problem iam pulling my hair out trying to figure why their is no current after coil .
choogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:24 AM   #4
BADZUKI90
AF Newbie

Unhappy

Anyone figured this one out yet? I'm having the same deal with my 90 kick. I replaced the distributer last month and it started working fine. Now this morning same deal, no spark @ coil or plugs engine turns over fine. I replaced the coil about an hour ago, still no joy. wanna buy a sidekick
BADZUKI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:14 AM   #5
cyndiestigger
AF Newbie

Re: Zuki Ignition Problems

I'm having the same problem with my 91. What I can say for sure is that though you think you have fire to the coil (Current), if you turn the switch to start and turn it over, you;ll find you don't really have it. It is only there when the switch is on but not engaging the starter. If you look at a schematic, you find a hall effect transistor in the distributor that tells the computer the position of the distributor rotor cap. If it isn't putting out a pulse from 1 to 15 volts, it won't tell the computer to fire the coil. You don't actually need the whole distributor, only the camshaft position sensor in it below the rotor cap. I suspect you're replacing with used distributors and that is the problem. They have a bad module as well. Don't ever replace the coil or igniter if they test good. you are wasting your money.
cyndiestigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
DM_Rok
AF Newbie

Angry

I am in the middle of solving a similar problem right now with a car in our shop. I have traced the problem down to the Main Relay not getting the command signal from the PCM to close the relay allowing voltage to be supplied to a number of curcuits. Since this circuit powers the Fuel Pump Relay as well as various Ignition components, the engine has no hope of starting. If I supply 12v to that that wire (effectivly bypassing the relay) the engine starts. I would be suspecting that this is a PCM, except that we are on the 3rd replacement PCM. At first the engine had spark but no injector pulse. After replacing the PCM, the engine started and ran, but stalled when I moved th PCM (upon inspection something inside the PCM case was loose). I ordered a second one and the engine ran like a champ. I took the car for a test drive and got about 1 mile away and it stalled. It would restart after cooling down but would die after a few minutes. Now, after getting the !@#%ing thing back into the shop it has no spark, no fuel (yes all fuses are good), and no clues as to why the PCM is not turning the MAin Relay on any longer. I am suspecting a third faulty PCM and ordered one, I'll have to wait to Monday to see if I was right. Any tips for me? If not, any prayers offered to the car gods on my behalf would be greatly appreciated
DM_Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
cyndiestigger
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Zuki Ignition Problems

Again check the distributor module. The coil can have the main 12 volt input from the ignition, but without the signal that it is time to fire a cylinder, the coil won't activate and increase the voltage to the level needed by the spark plugs. I finally found a 92 distributor and with a little engineering, it works great in my 91. To test the distributor module, disconnect the coil wire, the distributor wires and test the distributor output. I can't remember which two wires, but it is in the book. Then watching the voltmeter attached to the distributor wire out, manually rotate the cranckshaft through 360 degrees. You should see 1 to 15 volt pulses which feed the computer telling it when to fire, if they aren;'t there or are only occasionally there, the distributor module is bad.
Pat e-mail patrick00712@msn.com
cyndiestigger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Sidekick