Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:53 AM   #16
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

The manual describes two ways to do it:

First method (not preferred if you have the DIC and steering wheel controls--see second method):
--Turn ignition key to RUN w/ engine off;
--Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds; if the OIL LIFE RESET message flashes for 10 seconds, the system is resetting;
--Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset; repeat above.

Second method:
--Press the "fuel" button on the steering wheel until you reach the ENGINE OIL LIFE screen on the DIC
--Once you reach this screen, press and hold the select button (the upper right button on the steering wheel) for five seconds while ENGINE OIL LIFE is displayed. OIL LIFE RESET will appear on the display for 10 seconds to let you know the system is reset. Note--IIRC I think the DIC may briefly display CHANGE ENGINE OIL right after you've completed the reset procedure (don't let this fool you), but will soon after correctly display ENGINE OIL LIFE 100% (or something like that).

As you can see, the second method is much simpler and easier than the first, so if you have the DIC and steering wheel controls, it makes more sense to use the second method.

HTH!
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:40 AM   #17
cashflow50
AF Newbie

Can you reset the built in oil life indicator even though I haven't changed the oil? I haven't been resetting the indicator lately after an oil change, so I just wanted to reset it. It won't do any damage just to reset it right?
cashflow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #18
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Re: oil change calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflow50
Can you reset the built in oil life indicator even though I haven't changed the oil? I haven't been resetting the indicator lately after an oil change, so I just wanted to reset it. It won't do any damage just to reset it right?
You can reset it anytime...as GM or anyone else will tell you, oil life indicators aren't meant to be an absolute substitute for personally knowing when you need to change the oil in your vehicle.
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:48 AM   #19
YukonGMC
AF Enthusiast

I use Mobil 1 now. This being my first go around with it. Do not drive 2001 Yukon XL much at all. At 4100 miles and 8 months since oil change the light comes on. Wonder why ? No dusty conditions. I thought to at least see 6000 + before light. Anyway I changed it. It's going to get expensive changing Mobil 1 every 4K.
YukonGMC is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon