Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:35 PM   #16
wmccreight
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalix5
So again do you need to update the Nav to the 3.0 software first before going to the 4.1 version? On my wife's BMW if you skipped an update you missed some of the improvements to the Nav system. Usually in each update they remove some of the glitches from the previous version. I'm wondering if the other person on the board having so much trouble with the 4.1 update went straight from the 2.0 version without installing the 3.0 version first. Any thoughts?

I can say for sure if it made a diff, but that's what I did and my 4.1 works. So, if you can get your hands on a 3.0 for 15 minutes, then I would do it first.
wmccreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:05 PM   #17
rombeiro
AF Newbie

Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

So what are the improvements in 4.1 versus 3.0?

Do you notice any differences other than more current map data?
rombeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #18
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

The question that begs to be asked, is...why wasn't there a 4.0? I mean, it's kind of strange to go from 3.0 to 4.1 w/o hitting 4.0 first...or did GM release 4.0 and found out right away that it was buggy and thus released 4.1 soon afterward?
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #19
copout221
AF Regular

I think the 4.0 version map disc is only for the Cadillac passenger car navigation systems. The 4.1 is for the truck line. My guess is they did not want the same version number for both discs because it could become confusing and dealers would be selling the wrong discs for the wrong nav systems. I did not notice any difference between 3.0 and 4.1 other than the guidance voice is a little different. The map data for my area is the same, no difference.
copout221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:08 PM   #20
merlin1128
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Can you tell me how you modofoed it to display dvd video or where to get information on this
merlin1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #21
copout221
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin1128
Can you tell me how you modofoed it to display dvd video or where to get information on this

You can order the module and ribbon cable needed for the radio from here >> http://www.tvandnav2go.com/index.html . If you call and ask for Dominick he can walk you thru the instructions on connecting the module, ribbon cable, and tapping into the rear dvd unit for signal which allows you to watch a movie on the navigation radio screen.
copout221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:58 AM   #22
the blur
AF Enthusiast

I just got an 06 nav installed in my 03 Denali. after the dealer replaced the 03 unit 5 times, I went to the zone rep and put up a big stink. so he got me a brand new unit. Now I'm just waiting for a new nav CD. The morons figured out they couldn't use my ver 1.0 cd in a new 06 nav.

and did you see... Delphi filed for bankruptcey.. good because their nav unit's suck !
the blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:38 PM   #23
the blur
AF Enthusiast

I have an 06 nav unit in my 03 denali. The 06 has NO scroll !!!!!!!!!
after the dealer replace the 03 nav 5 times, they finally gave me an 06 unit. Now I have NO scroll !!!!!!!!!!!!

touch screen, Big F in deal. the scroll was great !!!

unless someone can tell me how to scroll with an 06 nav unit ??
Old 10-17-2005, 05:27 PM   #24
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blur
after the dealer replace the 03 nav 5 times, they finally gave me an 06 unit. Now I have NO scroll !!!!!!!!!!!!

You can sorta scroll--the catch is that you can't do a one-touch scroll like you can w/ the joystick-control nav. You "scroll" by touching any of the edges of the screen in order to scroll in that particular direction; the problem with this is that you have to repetitively touch the screen edge in order to continuously scroll the map display. That's the price to pay for replacing joystick functionality w/ a touchscreen.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #25
the blur
AF Enthusiast

ah yes...
the units are DIFFERENT indeed. I have to relearn my NAV skills.

Now I'm using the ver 1 CD in my 06 nav.
is there any benifit of upgrading to the 4.1 ver CD ??
Old 10-18-2005, 01:53 PM   #26
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
ah yes...
the units are DIFFERENT indeed. I have to relearn my NAV skills.

Now I'm using the ver 1 CD in my 06 nav.
is there any benifit of upgrading to the 4.1 ver CD ??
From version 1? I would imagine that quite a few streets have been added to the map database during the three years that have elapsed from v1 to v4.x; that alone should make it worthwhile to upgrade.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #27
Denalix5
AF Regular

How did you get them to give you a new NAV? I've had mine replaced twice and I'm still having problems. The dealer told me they would keep replacing until I was happy but they won't give me the new touchscreen version.

Quote:

Denalix5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:03 AM   #28
the blur
AF Enthusiast

after they replaced my nav 5 times, I went baserk. I was sick and fed up with them. the service manager manager was USELESS. I want higher. Ask for the ZONE REP. They give you excuses why you can't see the zone rep. but keep on hounding them.

after 5 replacements, and a 2" thick folder of receipts, and 3 years later, I finally got a touch screen. I didn't ask for the touch screen. I told them the refurbished units are garbage. I told them I want NEW, no more refurbs. They lied and told me it was new.

so they put another REFURB unit in there, and it was DOA !!!!! this happened right in front of the zone rep!!! so he ordered me an 06 radio.
but it took 2 additional months of nagging to get him to keep his promise. Then it took another 2 weeks to get my disk back !!!

after 3 years, I finally got a working nav. and the 06 unit can't find my street name. if I'm on the street it can find it. but if I enter it in as a destination, can't be found. The system has many flaws.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #29
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
if I'm on the street it can find it. but if I enter it in as a destination, can't be found. The system has many flaws.
Interesting...could be a firmware-type issue due to the v1 disc you have in your nav unit. I assume that you set the region number (there are 8, IIRC) to where you're currently located--e.g., say I'm in California, which is region #1 IIRC...the nav will correctly identify on the map display the street name that I'm on (verified by pressing the "NAV" button, assuming of course that your street is indeed indexed on the nav disc); however, if I try to search for the street name via Address search and the region on my nav unit is set to a different region (e.g., some East Coast region), the address lookup may indeed find my street name (if it happens to be a common one like "Main") but it won't necessarily be the exact one I'm looking for in my region.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #30
the blur
AF Enthusiast

I have heard other complaints about the same thing. I will buy the 4.1 DVD and try again. it should be interesting....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon