Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #1
Duramax Dually
AF Newbie

04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Anybody had on and off issues with their Nav system where as it states 'Disc" error" or takes forever to boot up? I have tried cleaning the disc. I also inspected the disc for chips and such. I really do not want to have to take it back to the dealer. It would mean being without a ride all day only to pick it up to find that they could not reproduce what I brought it in for?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. If anything it would help me narrow down the problem.

Thanks
Duramax Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:11 PM   #2
Vroom2
AF Enthusiast

Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Can you repeat the problem with another disc - CD or DVD? My first guess is that the laser needs to be realigned, which would potentially be confirmed if you encounter the problem with other media. Good luck - please keep us posted.

Take care,
Jerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------
'03 GMC Yukon Denali; www.suvworld.com/vroomvroom
'04 GMC Yukon Denali XL; www.suvworld.com/mrsvroom
'04 Toyota Tacoma XtraCab V6 4x4; www.toyotatruckworld.com/vroomvroom
Vroom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:43 PM   #3
zutoo
AF Newbie

I had the same problem... Took it to the dealer and they had to send the unit out. After being without a radio for a week, they ended up just putting a new one in. It worked out ok for me though. I have an '03 and they put an '04 unit in. Not that big of a deal, but the '04 has a couple extra features... Hey maybe you'll get real lucky get the '05 touchscreen unit! Good luck...
zutoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #4
copout221
AF Regular

My touch screen navigation is doing the same thing and the truck has less than a thousand miles on it. It seems to be doing it more now since I upgraded to version map disc version 4.1 . I am waiting to get a new 3.0 disc to find out if it is the disc or the unit. I hope the unit does not have to be pulled. It has already been modified to display DVD video.
copout221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by copout221
My touch screen navigation is doing the same thing and the truck has less than a thousand miles on it. It seems to be doing it more now since I upgraded to version map disc version 4.1 . I am waiting to get a new 3.0 disc to find out if it is the disc or the unit. I hope the unit does not have to be pulled. It has already been modified to display DVD video.
There's a 4.1 nav disc out already? And what's with the ".1"? I didn't even hear anything about a 4.0 version and there's a 4.1?
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
copout221
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytone
There's a 4.1 nav disc out already? And what's with the ".1"? I didn't even hear anything about a 4.0 version and there's a 4.1?

Yep, brand new but doesn't work properly in my unit. I would hold off before trying this version. It is buggy !!!
Old 07-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
wmccreight
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
Yep, brand new but doesn't work properly in my unit. I would hold off before trying this version. It is buggy !!!

What probs are you having with it? I have a 4.1 too and are not seeing any probs, yet!
wmccreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
copout221
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmccreight
What probs are you having with it? I have a 4.1 too and are not seeing any probs, yet!

I was getting a constant "disc error" message whenever I started the vehicle with the 4.1 ver disc. Now that I have switched back to 3.0 it has worked flawlessly. Maybe my 4.1 disc was bad. I am going to try a new one in a few weeks to see if the problem continues.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
Denalix5
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
I was getting a constant "disc error" message whenever I started the vehicle with the 4.1 ver disc. Now that I have switched back to 3.0 it has worked flawlessly. Maybe my 4.1 disc was bad. I am going to try a new one in a few weeks to see if the problem continues.

I have a 04 and had the same problem with the nav earlier. Took it into the dealer and they supposedly fixed it. Now I'm having the same problem again.

Is there really a 4.1 Nav map disc out? The dealerships in my area don't seem to know anything about it. I was looking to upgrade to the 3.0 version, but if there is a 4.1 I would like to get the most up to date version.
Denalix5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
copout221
AF Regular

4.1 Navigation Disc part # 15792651

3.0 Navigation Disc part # 10390370

www.gmpartsdirect.com has the 4.1 disc cheaper than the 3.0 version. $149.00 for the 4.1 vs. $201.59 for the 3.0. I currently have both versions and the 4.1 is causing a constant "disc error" message everytime I start the vehicle or insert the disc. It only works 10% of the time. The 3.0 works perfectly with no errors.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #11
Denalix5
AF Regular

Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
4.1 Navigation Disc part # 15792651

3.0 Navigation Disc part # 10390370

www.gmpartsdirect.com has the 4.1 disc cheaper than the 3.0 version. $149.00 for the 4.1 vs. $201.59 for the 3.0. I currently have both versions and the 4.1 is causing a constant "disc error" message everytime I start the vehicle or insert the disc. It only works 10% of the time. The 3.0 works perfectly with no errors.

Are you sure the 4.1 version is for the Denali nav. The parts guy at the dealership is telling me that its for the Cadillac Car Nav systems and it isn't supposed to be for the Escalade, Denali, Chevy, nav systems. He's saying that the Cadillac cars have a different Nav system than the SUV's. He may just be blowing smoke I don't know.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
wmccreight
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalix5
Are you sure the 4.1 version is for the Denali nav. The parts guy at the dealership is telling me that its for the Cadillac Car Nav systems and it isn't supposed to be for the Escalade, Denali, Chevy, nav systems. He's saying that the Cadillac cars have a different Nav system than the SUV's. He may just be blowing smoke I don't know.
The 4.1 disc (part #15792651) I have updated the firmware when it was 1st put in and has been working perfectly for the past 2 weeks in my '03 Denali. And I use it every day. I don't think it's for a caddy, if it was, it shouldn't have update the system. On the other hand, I could be wrong and very lucky it's working!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
Denalix5
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
The 4.1 disc (part #15792651) I have updated the firmware when it was 1st put in and has been working perfectly for the past 2 weeks in my '03 Denali. And I use it every day. I don't think it's for a caddy, if it was, it shouldn't have update the system. On the other hand, I could be wrong and very lucky it's working!

How did you update the 'firmware'? Did the dealership do the update for you, or is there another CD we need to get to do the update? I have version 1.0 that came with my 04 Denali. Do I need to update it to version 3.0 first then 4.1 or can I just go directly to 4.1 after the 'firmware' update?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #14
wmccreight
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalix5
How did you update the 'firmware'? Did the dealership do the update for you, or is there another CD we need to get to do the update? I have version 1.0 that came with my 04 Denali. Do I need to update it to version 3.0 first then 4.1 or can I just go directly to 4.1 after the 'firmware' update?
When you put the new dvd for the very first time, whatever version, 3 or 4.1, it will update your nav. It takes about 5-10 minutes and then loads the new dvd. I was told this was updating the firmware on the nav by a local GMC tech. It took mine about 7 minutes.
Before I got the 4.1, I was using a friends 3.0 from his '05 (he never used the nav) and it did the same thing, updated first, then loaded the dvd.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
Denalix5
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 04 Denali Nav/Prob/question

Quote:
When you put the new dvd for the very first time, whatever version, 3 or 4.1, it will update your nav. It takes about 5-10 minutes and then loads the new dvd. I was told this was updating the firmware on the nav by a local GMC tech. It took mine about 7 minutes.
Before I got the 4.1, I was using a friends 3.0 from his '05 (he never used the nav) and it did the same thing, updated first, then loaded the dvd.

So again do you need to update the Nav to the 3.0 software first before going to the 4.1 version? On my wife's BMW if you skipped an update you missed some of the improvements to the Nav system. Usually in each update they remove some of the glitches from the previous version. I'm wondering if the other person on the board having so much trouble with the 4.1 update went straight from the 2.0 version without installing the 3.0 version first. Any thoughts?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon