Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:10 PM   #31
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Presley348 Send a message via AIM to Presley348 Send a message via Yahoo to Presley348
Re: Re: extended maintenance program

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyb4me
HELLO 'EDDIE' ! !

HELLO ‘Eddie’ ! ! !

No question on Jags sex appeal, once angina they’re building beautiful cars.

Greeeat question on Tire Pressure! ! All should be more informed on the subject. I’ll try to be simple and concise.

NOTE: these are only my opinions but I think they’re generally accepted.

1] Your BMW tech. is CORRECT. Spend a few minutes getting familiar with the ‘Tire Pressure/Load’ label on the left ‘B’ pillar [drivers door post].
2] The key to handling is balance! !
3] Manufacturers have to compromise between handling and ride quality, BMW has always biased towards handling. The factors, in order are, overall weight, weight bias, suspension geometry [complexity], spring rates, shock valving, roll control [anti-sway bars] and lastly Tire Pressure.
4] In simplest terms Understeer is when the front doesn’t steer enough, ‘plows’, you turn the wheels and the cars wants to keep going straight. Oversteer is when the front steers too much, ‘fishtails’, you turn the wheels and the front turns so much the rear looses grip and slides out of the turn. The more an axle slips, the greater it’s ‘slip angle’.
5] All other parameters now being fixed, tire pressure bias gets to play an important roll. Almost all BMW’s run higher rear T/P [tire press.]. Performance cars tend towards oversteer because a ‘well balanced’ excellent handling car at its limits of adhesion is steerable with the throttle. Might sound strange but a moments thought clears this up, going ‘fast’ can only be done with the right foot, the last input is the right foot, the last steering input should be the right foot.
6] Pressure corrections [since that’s all you have to work with]:
IF your car oversteers, Increase Rear T/P or Decrease Front T/P.
IF your car understeers, Increase Front T/P or Decrease Rear T/P.
Increasing ‘stagger’, using T/P in our case increases the tire’s footprint, contact and
traction, decreasing the slip angle, better ‘sticking’ one end of the car.
7] MAX. PRESS. stampings on the tire sidewall MUST be adheared to.
8] The vehicle manufacturer’s labels are the BEST starting point for adjustments.

I left a great deal out of this for simplicity but if you can find the time and place some weekend with an accurate gauge and a portable compressor, try playing with these numbers to feel the changes for yourself. Begin with extremes [15 psi bias] one way then the other, then ‘stock’, then maybe fine tuning to your liking. It’s a lot of fun and truly enlightening…………………….BEST TO YOU, hope to chat again soon…….jeff b.
================================================
Hi Jeff:

Well, I finally "bit the bullet", broke down and purchased the 7 years/100,000 miles warranty from my BMW dealership today.

I hope I will never need it, but just in case, besides it got to help the resale values when I get ready to trade cars one of these years, (what a Bimmer sales pitch huh? LOL).

Eddie Presley
Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 PM   #32
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Re: extended maintenance program

Hello Eddie, I don't think you've chipped any teeth on that 'bullet' and still believe it's a wise choice on a brand new model like yours. I to hope you'll never need to use it, but just one [or two] control modules and will have paid for itself. Best to you and Stay In Touch.......jeff b.
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 10:17 PM   #33
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Presley348 Send a message via AIM to Presley348 Send a message via Yahoo to Presley348

Quote:
Hello Eddie, I don't think you've chipped any teeth on that 'bullet' and still believe it's a wise choice on a brand new model like yours. I to hope you'll never need to use it, but just one [or two] control modules and will have paid for itself. Best to you and Stay In Touch.......jeff b.
================================================== =========

Hello Jeff b:

Like most Bimmer owners, I am all for saving money $$$ without reducing BMW quality or BMW performance. Anytime I hear of something that sounds too good to be true, I think to myself well it probably is, and I tend to stay away from such, that's is until the proper research is completed by BMW professionals & Tech's, such as yourself.

But this one new thing on the market for most cars and BMW that supposed to get better gas mileage; their ad states: "a MPG gains as high as 31%", and better performance, and their ad states: "the Turbonator will add up to 35 horsepower to your vehicle." for: $69.95?

Anyway it is called the "turbonator" and I am sending you a hyperlink to look at it and tell me you expert thoughts on it, is it any good and does what they say it does, or is it junk? (I am thinking Junk, but what do you think or possible already know about that product?).

Click on: http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsBMW

Thanks,

R. Eddie Presley aka Presley348

PS,
Yea, I bit the bullet and bought the extended warranty for my Bimmer, and so far my teeth are not chipped, yet, (LOL) so I guess I got a pretty good price on my extended warranty plan for my 04, 530i. I do appreciate the advice you gave me on it, because it not only prompted me to do more extensive www research, but got me to shop around, and to ask the right questions to these extended warranty companies, which enabled me to save over $1,200.00 from my BMW dealer last week, once again: THANKS!
Old 09-12-2004, 12:01 AM   #34
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Hello again Eddie ! !

Answer IS, yes and no OR no and yes, OR ......NO, it [they] are not new and YES they are junk....junk is in the eye of the beholder [if a person purchases one], and then takes the time to 'install' one [one size fits all ? ?, amazing], then takes more time to convince self "This wasn't a waste of money ! ?", then takes more time to attempt some refund..... Sorry but silly s__t like this makes me giggle 'til I realize how many folks have been flammed by these things. Then "why didn't I have the balls to pull a con like that?" sometimes crosses my assumed [and fickled] mind.
YES, your right, of it sounds too good..........there are many such 'devises' out there, and someone must be buying them [ same folks that'll be voting for..........?] New phrase....."Carrisms"??
Wish I had a wiity analogy here but it's past my bed time.
Best to you.................stay in touch.................jeff b..................
Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #35
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hello again Eddie ! !

Answer IS, yes and no OR no and yes, OR ......NO, it [they] are not new and YES they are junk....junk is in the eye of the beholder [if a person purchases one], and then takes the time to 'install' one [one size fits all ? ?, amazing], then takes more time to convince self "This wasn't a waste of money ! ?", then takes more time to attempt some refund..... Sorry but silly s__t like this makes me giggle 'til I realize how many folks have been flammed by these things. Then "why didn't I have the balls to pull a con like that?" sometimes crosses my assumed [and fickled] mind.
YES, your right, of it sounds too good..........there are many such 'devises' out there, and someone must be buying them [ same folks that'll be voting for..........?] New phrase....."Carrisms"??
Wish I had a wiity analogy here but it's past my bed time.
Best to you.................stay in touch.................jeff b..................
================================================== ========

Hi Jeff:

I hate to bother you, again, but I need some of your expert BMW advice, before I take the plunge this week, and buy a set of 18 or 19inch rims and run flat tires for my new 04 BMW 530i.

A little history: When I purchased my new 04 Bimmer I did not order the $3000.00+ Sport package option, because I read here at the forum where some of the owners were advising against it, because they said the new BMW five series sport packages are difficult to keep it properly aligned with the sport package, and if I bought that option that my tires would be dishing/curbing out, and I would be then replacing tires about every 10,000 to 15,000miles!

I am not a Rockefeller with $$$, so I did not purchased the sport package with active steering on my 04 530i, and I have made it this far, but I still want those larger BMW rims and tires!

So to make sure they were telling me right, I checked it out for myself, and they were right! I test drove a couple of pre owned 03's 525 and 530i's and sure enough they did not drive right at all, they both made a road grinding type noise in the front end tires area (like a wore out wheel bearing or "metel to metal" brake pads to rotor scrubing type of noise, but the BMW mechanic/tech told me after checking it out, that the wheel bearings and brake, rotors, etc. were just fine, and said it could need aligning, and something else that I never heard of before), but the larger BMW tires did show excessive tire edge wear, and they needed to be replaced, but just at 14,000miles. $$$$!!!!!!!!!! : (

But I did like the looks of the larger 18 and 19inch rims, and thought well I will buy my 530i with the premium package and xenon's, but with no sport package with the active steering thing, and one day, I will buy a set of larger rims and tires for my 530i. Well, I got the fever, and now is about that day! (LOL)

Three Questions:

1) Will the 18i or 19nch tires work ok on my 04 530i, and not scrub my fender wells?
2) Where can I purchase a set of BMW rims with a good price at here on the www?
3) Which larger rims would you recommend: BMW or RSS or ???.

And early thanks Jeff, and have a good day!

Your 04 530i friend,

R. Eddie Presley348 = GA
Old 09-22-2004, 10:50 PM   #36
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

HELLO Eddie ! ! I don't believe the actual suspension geometery [in fact I'm quite sure] is any different with the 'Sport Package' but damping control and wheel tire size ARE. The wheel/tires on the ones you drove account for the excessive road noise you noted and you will notice the change on your car when going +1 or +2. Not much can be done about this on any vehicle but tire choice does make a difference. And to some extent $ spent will. Personally, I'm very appy with the SO3's I put on my 320is and our Z3 2.8, grippy and not too noisy [much quieter than the RE730's we finally took off [they replaced the Pilot's it came with] after my wife kept complaining about the drop in 'turn-in' feel.
I'm rambling again but hell, I've got a couple of minutes for once.....
Do some research on line before you buy. You want a comprimise between grip, noise, wear and feel...pick your order, some are better at....you know what I mean.
The wear you noted, if on the outer edges was due to "enthusiastic driving" I suspect BUT the TOE SETTING IS CRITICAL on these larger wider tires ! ! !
The bigger footprint WILL mean less 'on center' feel but this is usually minimized by having the toe set as close to 0.0 the spec's will allow.
ALSO be sure the car is properly loaded to spec hieght during the alignment ! ! !
ONE LAST TIP Eddie, look on the pillar or your drivers door for the vehicle laod label. It shows all the factory optional sizes and I wouldn't go any bigger, but do keep in mind, the wider you go, the more noisy it gets.....alway's been that way, probably always will....and the more your going to 'feel' all of the road through your steering wheel.
Oh yeah, wheels.......again a personal choice as far as appearence but I do Recommend a factory option wheel first AND ACCEPT NO....NO WHEEL THAT REQUIRES ANY TYPE OF "CENTERING" RING ! ! ! You'll never be happy with them though they might look bitch'n.......BMW's were meant to be driven, not just look good parked and few owners of some of the cheap wheels you see on these cars are probably willing to admit how much vibration in the steering wheel and elsewhere they put up with.......after spending more cash then the wheels were worth....
BEST TO YOU ............stay in touch.............jeff b.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #37
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
HELLO Eddie ! ! I don't believe the actual suspension geometery [in fact I'm quite sure] is any different with the 'Sport Package' but damping control and wheel tire size ARE. The wheel/tires on the ones you drove account for the excessive road noise you noted and you will notice the change on your car when going +1 or +2. Not much can be done about this on any vehicle but tire choice does make a difference. And to some extent $ spent will. Personally, I'm very appy with the SO3's I put on my 320is and our Z3 2.8, grippy and not too noisy [much quieter than the RE730's we finally took off [they replaced the Pilot's it came with] after my wife kept complaining about the drop in 'turn-in' feel.
I'm rambling again but hell, I've got a couple of minutes for once.....
Do some research on line before you buy. You want a comprimise between grip, noise, wear and feel...pick your order, some are better at....you know what I mean.
The wear you noted, if on the outer edges was due to "enthusiastic driving" I suspect BUT the TOE SETTING IS CRITICAL on these larger wider tires ! ! !
The bigger footprint WILL mean less 'on center' feel but this is usually minimized by having the toe set as close to 0.0 the spec's will allow.
ALSO be sure the car is properly loaded to spec hieght during the alignment ! ! !
ONE LAST TIP Eddie, look on the pillar or your drivers door for the vehicle laod label. It shows all the factory optional sizes and I wouldn't go any bigger, but do keep in mind, the wider you go, the more noisy it gets.....alway's been that way, probably always will....and the more your going to 'feel' all of the road through your steering wheel.
Oh yeah, wheels.......again a personal choice as far as appearence but I do Recommend a factory option wheel first AND ACCEPT NO....NO WHEEL THAT REQUIRES ANY TYPE OF "CENTERING" RING ! ! ! You'll never be happy with them though they might look bitch'n.......BMW's were meant to be driven, not just look good parked and few owners of some of the cheap wheels you see on these cars are probably willing to admit how much vibration in the steering wheel and elsewhere they put up with.......after spending more cash then the wheels were worth....
BEST TO YOU ............stay in touch.............jeff b.
================================================== ===========

Hi Jeff ! ! !

I am looking to purchase a set of nice BMW wheels for my 04 530i:
Click on:http://bavauto.com/shop.asp

There are BMW 18inch, but I have notice that some of the nicer Bimmer's, (M series), have 19inch on the rear and 18inch on the front. They look awesome, but I suspect to much $$$!!! But if I can get me another loan $$$ from, and I will look to buy me a set, but before I get my mind set on the different sizes, (18front and 19rear), and I now wonder how does one rotate the radials?

In the way I was taught and trained "many moons" ago, this new different tire sizes issue present a tire rotation, and balancing issue.

See I am from the old school, and in my younger days, (23-28yrs old), I was a GA certified EMT, and I own my own private ambulance service with a fleet of eight Ford Diesel ALS "Wheeled Coach" or "Horton" VAN type Ambulances here in the Atlanta GA area, and I was then, and I am today, a big time believer in Preventative maintenance, i.e.oil and air filter changes ever 4000 to 5000miles, (I used then Lubrication engineers Synthetic oil of TEXAS), and tire rotation and balancing, ever 3000 to 4000 miles, etc.

I always tried to rotate my Ambulance tires every 3000miles, and never had a problem out of my "Bridgestone" (10 ply) and "Toyo" and sometimes "Goodyear" 16.5 radial tires on my ambulances.

I was always told by Goodyear and Bridgestone technicians when rotating radial tires, (Not Bias Tires), never to rotate on them on the same axle, but always rotate front to rear, or rear to front, but: (never "X" ((cross)) them), and NEVER rotate tires side to side either, because the radial belts would be going in an opposite direction than accustomed to, and you must to keep radial belts always going in the same direction. Because if you don't this could cause the radial belt to separate, etc., (I don't know if that is true or not, but that is what the Goodyear Rep.-tech told me).

Whewww enough of that history... but I realize this posting is a might wordy, (sorry), but can you got the picture (LOL), but I was wondering if I bought different sizes BMW tires from my 530i, 19 rear and 18 front, how would I rotate them by going by Goodyear radial tire rules? (Are the Radial tire rotation rules that same of the way I was taught in the old days by Goodyear about keeping the radial belts always rotating in the same direction, or has it changes now days?). The manager at Kaufman Tires now tells me they rotate ALL radials by either crossing them which changes the direction of the radial belt, or if I insist (and I did and do, LOL), rotate front to rear (I insist never to rotate my BMW tires by crossing (("X")) them), but when rotating my tires keep the radial belt going in the same direction, but Jeff I realize this is no longer the early and late 1980s, but 2004, and things do change!

The advice and help you have given me so far on my new 04 530i here at the BMW forum has save me tons of $$$, in my book you are the BMW expert, ((not the Kaufman tire manager)) and what do you advise about tire rotation? Or just stay with 18 or 19inch all away around my 04 530i Chris Bangle special? (LOL)) Sorry to bother you again, but I will be waiting on what you say before I buy anything, and thanks once again Jeff for all your time and your advice you give me for my 530i, and have a good day!

Your 04 530i GA friend,

Eddie Presley

Last edited by Presley348; 09-25-2004 at 09:29 PM.
Presley348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #38
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Hey there Eddie ! ! i thinks them wheels is beautiful!! I've been happy with 'bavauto' so far, thats where I bought the 15" Zenders for our '80 320is.......18" & 19" on the rears......I'm sure it looks great, takes me back to earlier days of a '64 Malibu I planted a built L-88 427 into [wheel size difference], ANYWAY, with the diferent aspect ratios they use roll-out should be very close [ it has to be due to the brake & dynamic suspension electronics ].....TIRE ROTATION, as you said isn't what it used to be. Take our Z3 2.8 with 225/45's on front, 245/40's rear AND most performance tires are ASYMETRICAL [they can only rotate one direction]...X pattern rotation [popular w/bias ply tires] isn't even an option, the fronts I've left alone [in place after an accurate alignment], the rears [due to the slight excess in neg. camber in many Z3's thats not adjustible] I have 'swapped' side to side every 5,000m to even out the wear. Balancing these larger O.D. wheels with very low profile tires has to be done by someone experienced and diligent to be done right and eliminate vibration.
The 18"/19" combo sounds off to me, though feasible AND YOU'VE seen it. I'd check this out a little further though. These wheels AND tires aren't exactly peanutbutter/jelly cheap as you know........but it sure would look 'cool'....is that too archaic a term?????...what year was I born....never mind....would look REALLY COOL....I'm an old man.......jeff b
Stay in thouch, EDDIE ! ! !
Old 10-11-2004, 07:40 PM   #39
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey there Eddie ! ! i thinks them wheels is beautiful!! I've been happy with 'bavauto' so far, thats where I bought the 15" Zenders for our '80 320is.......18" & 19" on the rears......I'm sure it looks great, takes me back to earlier days of a '64 Malibu I planted a built L-88 427 into [wheel size difference], ANYWAY, with the diferent aspect ratios they use roll-out should be very close [ it has to be due to the brake & dynamic suspension electronics ].....TIRE ROTATION, as you said isn't what it used to be. Take our Z3 2.8 with 225/45's on front, 245/40's rear AND most performance tires are ASYMETRICAL [they can only rotate one direction]...X pattern rotation [popular w/bias ply tires] isn't even an option, the fronts I've left alone [in place after an accurate alignment], the rears [due to the slight excess in neg. camber in many Z3's thats not adjustible] I have 'swapped' side to side every 5,000m to even out the wear. Balancing these larger O.D. wheels with very low profile tires has to be done by someone experienced and diligent to be done right and eliminate vibration.
The 18"/19" combo sounds off to me, though feasible AND YOU'VE seen it. I'd check this out a little further though. These wheels AND tires aren't exactly peanutbutter/jelly cheap as you know........but it sure would look 'cool'....is that too archaic a term?????...what year was I born....never mind....would look REALLY COOL....I'm an old man.......jeff b
Stay in thouch, EDDIE ! ! !
================================================== ========
MON: 10-11-04

Hi Jeff:

I am getting the fever again to try the tire and wheel thing once again, but I need your BMW expert opinion once again...on the 18 or 19inch wheels?

Do these BMW 18in or 19in wheels run smooth when balanced properly? I was told by some BMW owners they are a times difficult to keep balance and keep aligned on the 04 530i, properly compared to the stock 17in? Is this true, or ....???

Thanks in advance!

Your 04 530i Atlanta, Ga friend,

Eddie Presley
Old 10-11-2004, 10:47 PM   #40
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

HELLO Eddie ! ! !

Yes, the BMW wheels will run smootly when PROPERLY balanced AS LONG AS you've got QUALITY TIRES. Even then ,balancing these larger diameter wheels correctly can be time consuming but the finished product IS worth it!!
AFTERMARKET wheels, by and large, is another mater altogether and this may be where many of the sorry stories come from, fitment, run-out, poor constuction, etc.... I could tell you a few stories but am out of time tonight.
Wheel alignment, though accuracy is critical, once properly set really isn't an issue [ it won't change much ] but the difference in component loads can increase wear in the linkages to some extent and the dynamic geometery changes somewhat due to the decrease in sidewall flex, etc...
Hope this helped Eddie and please , KEEP IN TOUCH...............jeff b.....
Old 10-12-2004, 06:04 PM   #41
Presley348
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
HELLO Eddie ! ! !

Yes, the BMW wheels will run smootly when PROPERLY balanced AS LONG AS you've got QUALITY TIRES. Even then ,balancing these larger diameter wheels correctly can be time consuming but the finished product IS worth it!!
AFTERMARKET wheels, by and large, is another mater altogether and this may be where many of the sorry stories come from, fitment, run-out, poor constuction, etc.... I could tell you a few stories but am out of time tonight.
Wheel alignment, though accuracy is critical, once properly set really isn't an issue [ it won't change much ] but the difference in component loads can increase wear in the linkages to some extent and the dynamic geometery changes somewhat due to the decrease in sidewall flex, etc...
Hope this helped Eddie and please , KEEP IN TOUCH...............jeff b.....
================================================== ===========

Hi Jeff:

If you have time, click the hyperlink blow), and take a look at these new 2004 18inch M5 Replica BMW wheels, and give me you thoughts. (Yea you guessed it, I am price shopping, again...and the price of the BMW M5 Wheel replicas seems excellent.)

Like most BMW owners, I want the most bang for my buck, $$$$. but of course without reducing Mr. "Christopher Bangle's" and his BMW design Team Highest Quality,,,or should I "bite Another bullet", (LOL Like I did a month ago when I bought my 7yr 100,000 "Fidelity" extended warranty plan...LOL) and just go ahead and go to the bank for another loan and shall out over $4000.00 to my Local Nalley BMW dealer of Decatur GA, and buy the BMW M5 wheels aka the real BMW thing, but along with the REAL BMW PRICE $$$!!? LOL)

http://www.slickcar.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=3084

Thanks in advance for your valued BMW opinion!

Your 04 530i Friend,
Eddie Presley

Last edited by Presley348; 10-13-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Presley348 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 5 Series