Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 02:57 PM   #1
porsche911
AF Newbie

These two are VERY close. Even in the JGTC, most of the time one of these gets 1st place. They completely dominate the Japan Racing. But I think GT-R is better in that it costs less. I like its styling more too
The acceleration is exactly the same or 0.1 sec difference. GT-R is 4.7, I think NSX is 4.7 too. But think if the "chip" is taken off of gt-r and it has 350 hp instantly. NSX still olny has 290hp.
I can't wait for the next generation of these cars to come out!
Again, I think both of them will be close.
What do yall think?
porsche911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2000, 06:52 PM   #2
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Hmmm...

Well, both are obivously magnificent pieces of machinery. The inline six used in the Skyline has proved to be a very versatile and coveted engine in the automobile world. It can be boosted to throw lots of power to the flywheel, and in the Skyline it makes one of the most dominating sports cars produced in Japan (especially those tuned by Tommy Kaira!).

However, I am heavily biased towards Honda, so I like the NSX. Yes, it does cost quite a bit more, but its mid-engined layout provides exceptional handling prowess, keeping the powerplant close to the power wheels. And it is a much more exclusive, exotic-looking car.

I will admit that I wanted one of the two just to take to performance exrtremes, heighten the boost levels, and drive to the limit, I would prefer to have a Skyline.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 10:22 PM   #3
HXMan
AF Newbie

I would have to agree.

Although I love honda I would have to choose a skyline over a NSX.....they both are great cars, but having driven a fast(13.9 1/4 mile) turbo car I must say I am pretty much hooked on turbo power. It is just so easy to make a ton of power out of a small package. Although if TOO does ever come out with the SC he and his team have in development I will be quick to get one of those and a b16a.
HXMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2000, 10:27 PM   #4
JD@af
Missing in action

Quote:
Quote: HXMan ( 11:22 pm on Dec. 13, 2000 )
...if TOO does ever come out with the SC he and his team have in development I will be quick to get one of those and a b16a.
No argument from me...
Old 12-14-2000, 01:05 AM   #5
EMV
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to EMV
The NSX is what might be called a more traditional supercar, being mid engined and rear wheel drive. The GT-R has the awesome ATESSA 4WD system and the engine's up front. I would probably choose the NSX for myself, since the NSX are just as user friendly when you drive them around town as a Civic or something, while I heard the GTR's don't really feel at home on low speeds and tend to go all over the place. But in a race the GTR is more preferable, especially if the track has lots of bends in it and the road is wet
EMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2000, 10:47 PM   #6
DropGXL
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to DropGXL
They seem to be fairly evenly matched. But I am a sucker for boost, so it's the Skyline for me

----------
Anthony
88 RX-7 GXL 88 RX-7 GS
DropGXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 10:56 PM   #7
Racer 20
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Racer 20
Skyline for me. I would have bought a used NSX (from a mag) but I didn't because I am also a fan of turbos that come with the car of the bat. But I'm talking about the R33. If it were the R34 against the NSX I would get the R34 also. It is more modern and feels like a light sporty Bimmer with out all of the luxuries and a more powerful engine.
Racer 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2000, 08:52 AM   #8
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
BTW, R34 GT-R broke the Nurburgring record at 7'52. The closest car is Porsche GT3 or 996 or whichever one it is at 7'56
You know, I would take GT-R for sure. NSX is a very good car, but I think it's one of the weakest mid-engined super cars I know!
igor@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 05:07 PM   #9
JD@af
Missing in action

igor-

True. It is weak, relatively speaking (I mean in real world numbers, 290 horsepower in a body around 3,000 lbs is not weak!), but its performance granted it makes 10 hp shy of 300 is pretty damn good. And we'll see what Honda pulls out when the V8 NSX rolls onto showroom floors in a couple years. And the direct comparisons are difficult since the GT-R is a tuner's dream car, while the NSX is a high-priced exotic that is not really intended for tinkering. It is intended to put heat from the far east on Ferrari and other supercar manufacturers (and who really goes out and tries to turbocharge a naturally-aspirated Ferrari?).

Bottom line is you're absolutely right. No argument from me! But I would still get the NSX given the choice
Old 12-26-2000, 05:17 PM   #10
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

But actually, the GT-R and the NSX are in the same class. Want to know which 2 models dominate JGTC championships? I'll tell ya- GT-R and NSX. Other's that are in the same class hardly ever get 1st place. It's usually a fight between GT-Rs and NSXs.
Supra, RX-7, and McLaren F1 do stick their head in sometimes- just luck though.

Edited by: igor@af
Old 12-28-2000, 04:56 AM   #11
BlaxicanYIIK
AF Regular

[quote] I heard GTR's don't really feel at home on low speeds and tend to go all over the place

Dude, I have heard that is entirely not true. The Skyline has been praised as one of the most controllable cars under all coditions (even normal day to day driving). However, the suspension may not be as smooth as your normal sedan obviously. Also, it was said to be very mild at normal speeds and driven like any other daily commuter...but hit the gas and the BEAST is unleashed. As mentioned, no car can quite compete with it's tunablility (most of them if not almost all). I agree the NSX has the skyline witht he looks department when sen from the front and from above. the sides are pretty much a close call (but the NSX has the advantage a little). However, I don't care if YOU don't like it, the rear of the skyline is killer (R33 and R34). I'm peaking only on stock bodies of course, when we speak of veilside(and other skyline aftermarket kits)....as far as I am concerned, it's like ...NSX? What's that? Also, the NSX is pretty dominant in the interior department. I wouldn't mind having both, but if I had to choose..I'd choose the Skyline (no question whatsoever if the R35 comes out - What could be better as far as looks and performance?- For the money atleast).Well, I'm out of things to say...I await both the NSX and Skyline..to see which (if either) really does come with a V8 (in the R35 case - if it makes it to the US at all).
BlaxicanYIIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 09:17 AM   #12
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Hey everybody!
Blexican is my homie gee now!
You know, we coule probably convince everyone in the world about the GT-R - there are so many guys that love it here on the forum.
I don't care what others say, but I want GT-R and ONLY GT-R, I don't really care about owning other cars...... except for maybe couple others...hehehehe
Old 12-29-2000, 02:27 PM   #13
BlaxicanYIIK
AF Regular

Thanks Igor... Hey, some of my faces don't work or I am doing them wrong, is there a "facey" legend on AF (that shows how to do them) like at FA?
BlaxicanYIIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2000, 02:29 PM   #14
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

yeah! the FAQ.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/cgi-...ables/faq.html

where you see this thing on top of every page-
login ¦ profile ¦ faq ¦ search
register

Edited by: igor@af