Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 01:32 PM   #16
surfdog
AF Newbie

i just bought my 2001 yukonxl so i am still getting familar with its systems. the parking brake always felt weird but i thought it was just the way gmc did it. per owners manual, one does not just push down on the parking brake but first you must push down on the regular brake and then press down with the parking brake. the parking brake goes all the way to the floor without any resistance...which i am not used to. when i checked it on an incline in neutral the park was holding, it just feels weird having it go all the way to floor without any resistance. is this normal or do i have something wrong here?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:05 AM   #17
Red_F18
AF Newbie

In upgrading my 1991 C1500 truck to rear disc brakes, I used a complete 2001 Yucon assembly (with the intergrated e-brake drum in the rotor). Since I believe that the parking brake problem may not be addressed by GM, I have decided to do the following:

1. Remove the shoes,
2. Have Hi-performance material (Ceramic/Carbon, if possible) bonded/riveted on the stripped shoes from a brake rebuilder.
Note: The "Organic" OEM material can be removed with a big screw driver!
3. Drill a small hole in the bottom area of the backing plate to allow the brake matgerial to fall out as it come of the shoes (i.e., a dust hole).

Some may want to use rubber plugs for this and at given periods, blow air into the hole to clear the dust.

4. Shorten the e-brake cable to allow for min. engagement. This initial condition will change as the brakes wear and alert me to check/recheck the dust hole.

Steps 1,2 & 4 are the min that should be done or new $140 ea rear rotors (+ labor) are in your future budget. I hope this helps some and is at least informative for all.
Gary
Old 04-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #18
Hans Redder
AF Newbie

Re: Seperate Pads

Hi GMMerlin, I know I'm a little bit late but I just found out about this internet site. So, i also bought a 02 Suburban Z71 and wondered why the parking break goes all the way through down to the bottom. I replaced the shoes and read in the repair manual that the breake will adjust automatically. So I turned the adjustment screws all the way in (since the pads were new) and pushed the pedal multiple times. Unfortunately I never found a way to get the parking break working to hold the car at an incline. Can you help since it seems that you have a serious solution? Thanks, Hans
Old 04-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #19
yukonjack4149
AF Newbie

Re: Parking Brake

I'm trying to collapse my SSBC brand e-brake rear caliper and it won't move. I'v tried turning the piston clockwise and counter cw. No amount of pressure seems to move it. I've removed the cable and return spring from the caliper with no success. Help!!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #20
AnthonyNYC
AF Newbie

I have a 2001 GMC Denali and have the same problem as well. Unfortunately for me, I tow a 28ft travel trailer and when camping on a hill, i'm really concerned about not having an Ebrake. Right now I just chock the wheels.

I just came inside after changing the back brakes, both the disc and the parking brake. After putting on brand new pads, I thought to myself there has to be something I am doing wrong when it still did not work. Well after reading here I am not the only one that has this issue.

I looked all over for an adjustment for the ebrake but found nothing. I am going to take both wheels back off and adjust the dial as far as it can go without binding on the rotor and see how that goes. It's a shame you pay this much for a vehicle and it does not have an ebrake. No wonder everyone is going with an import now.

As you can see I'm pretty pissed about this whole thing since I depend on my ebrakes and it seems there is nothing you can do. I am also thinking about buying new rotors since the older ones may be too worn in now. We'll see.

If this does not work, I'll post up and try to start a class action lawsuit, I'm sure there are a lot more out there that have these same issues.

Anthony
Old 09-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #21
maxwedge
A990 racer

It will work, there actually is a measuring device used to set the e brake adjustment based in the drum width, I set mine for a slight drag. This thread is way to old, as of now it is closed.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon