Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Solara
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
andrew_alfonso
AF Newbie

rattling noise problem

Hi everyone,

I own a '01 Solara 4-cylinder and would like to know anyone's opinion on my problem --- there is a annoying RATTLING sound from the rear right wheel / suspension of the car that I can't seem to know where it's coming from. The struts are fine, but when it runs in the smallest bumps on the road, even running over a little rock the rattling sound is there. Is it a word sway bar bushing or link? I appreciate any feedback so I can pinpoint the problem and replace the exact part, hopefully by myself. Thank you!

Andrew
andrew_alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
dead4ever
AF Newbie

Re: rattling noise problem

Our 2004 Solara has that noise too. Dealer cleaned and switched stuts and said that would take care of it -- but--still hear rattle noise or whatever when hitting even small bumbs. Sort of bottom out sound. Am living with it now. Let me know if you find out more.
dead4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
r.e.mckinley
AF Newbie

My 1999 Solara had a similar problem. Turns out it was the bump stop on the RR strut. I sounded like a thud against sheet metal. I looked over everything, took out the whole rear seat interior, drove around, etc. In desperation, I took the strut out. The bump stop was bottoming on the top of the strut (evidenced by wear/clean areas on the top of the strut tube, next to the strut rod). I cut off one segment of the bump stop, and now the noise is gone.
r.e.mckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
dead4ever
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.e.mckinley
My 1999 Solara had a similar problem. Turns out it was the bump stop on the RR strut. I sounded like a thud against sheet metal. I looked over everything, took out the whole rear seat interior, drove around, etc. In desperation, I took the strut out. The bump stop was bottoming on the top of the strut (evidenced by wear/clean areas on the top of the strut tube, next to the strut rod). I cut off one segment of the bump stop, and now the noise is gone.
Why will the dealer not mention the BUMP STOP? They act like there is no noise. Said it is sporty car and a different type compound tire. ???
dead4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
zeppman
AF Newbie

I have an '05 solora, and I have the same problem. The dealer thought I was crazy or something and said he didn't hear anything or was blaming it on the liscense plate. How can I fix this?
zeppman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
mahulchak
AF Newbie

Post Re: rattling noise problem

Check the sway bar link and the right arm bushing too. Take it to a good mechanic and they will tell you if that is the problem. My '99 Solara had the same problem and my mechanic immediately found out that the sway bar links needed to be changed. The sounds are gone.
mahulchak is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Solara