Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
IH8PVMT
AF Newbie

Question No Oil Pressure

Ok i have a 99 Dodge Ram Sport 1500. I recently was just in an accident where i got smooshed on the freeway. No real damage except to the body and some suspension parts. All Good, so i thought. I picked up my truck from the collision shop and first made it about a mile down the road from the shop and boom NO GAS! after being rescued with a gas can i made it less then a quarter of a mile and NO OIL PRESSURE! The guage was at flat 0. When i checked the oil (it was hot) it read low, i added 1 quart and let it sit now it reads full. I started it, let it idol all seemed fine. As soon as i engaged it into drive and hit the gas, NO OIL PRESSURE! And it boggs way down, like it has a vaccuum leak. Is this the oil pump? Anyone have any suggestions? And does anyone have any idea how hard this is to fix?
IH8PVMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: No Oil Pressure

You might check to see if the oil pan is smashed up on the bottom.

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Mika75
AF Newbie

I've got a 2002 4x4 with the 4.7. It just turned 100,000 miles. Although mine has not been in a wreck, I have experienced a sudden drop in oil pressure. Never, though while I was driving. It seems to occur when I am at a stop. In drive with my foot on the brake or in park at an idle. It dosen't seem to matter. It has happened about 10 times or so. The pressure falls, the "ding" sounds, the "check guages" light comes on and then all goes back to normal. I can detect a slight rough idle when this happens. Any insight would be appreciated.
Mika75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
wayneo69
AF Regular

maybe the pickup tube to the oil pump broke off maybe a bad oil pump or bad bearings
wayneo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #5
Mika75
AF Newbie

I suppose all you have listed could very well be the cause of what I am experienceing. However, this occurrs intermittingly with no regularity. I would think if the tube had broken off; or was cracked and if the berrings were worn, the drop in oil pressure would be pretty constant. Now, one of the heads was cracked and replaced (while under warranty) I wonder if the dealer might have allowed a drop of gasket cement or something to fall into the engine. Perhaps that piece of something gets cycled through the oil path and restricts the flow of oil from time to time. There would be no way, I suppose to find out outside of a tear down. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced such a thing. I appreciate your reply wayneo69. I just hope against hope what you suggested is not the case.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
wayneo69
AF Regular

i would put an oil pressure gauge an it to see what the acual pressure is under those conditions you discribed when you tke out the sending unit and put the guage on it check the wiring and the conector if the pressure is good and the wiring and the connector is good put a sending unit in it
wayneo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #7
Mika75
AF Newbie

That is probably what I need to do. The guage will give me a more accurate reading. I will try to get to that this week. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

Mike
Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Mika75
AF Newbie

Well, I was checking around some Dodge sites and cabe across this one:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/18-029-01.htm

It reads, in part:

Some 2002 (DR) Ram Trucks equipped with the 3.7L, 4.7L or 5.9L engines may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:
1. Any of the trucks shown above may exhibit a condition wherein the oil pressure gauge intermittently drops to zero.

NOTE: THERE IS NO RISK OF DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE WHEN THIS OCCURS.

2. Any of the trucks shown above may exhibit a fuel gauge error that leads the customer to believe the fuel level is lower than it actually is. This condition is most often noticed when the customer is filling a fuel tank that is less than half full.

and it goes on. The link should answer any questions with respect to the modles listed. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I really do appreciate them.

Mike

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10