Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
Kevster324
AF Newbie

Unhappy 99 Ram 1500 Tranny Problem

On the interstate today, when trying to pass another vehicle, engine revved high, but I seemed to lose power. Tach went up to about 2500-3000 RPM's, but speedomoter actually dropped from 65-45 quickly. It did this all the way home from a 100-mile trip. Check Engine light flashed several times also. Some mechanic buddies tell me the tranny is going bad. Could this be the case? I thought about having fluid/filter changed, but I heard that this often can actually make tranny problems worsen. Can anyone help?
Kevster324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
wafrederick
Banned

Re: 99 Ram 1500 Tranny Problem

Get the codes read,It might be electrical or inside the transmission.There is another thing to check,the bottom transmission line towards the radatior and it is inside the rubber hose part.You need a special line tool to remove from the radatior.There is a nylon checkball inside and you want to get rid of that checkball.The problem with that checkball is that it melts and will plug the line right up.It will burn up the transmission too.All you do is take a long #2 phillips screwdriver and tap it out or drill it out.It is white in color if you want to know.Flushing a transmission is the worst thing to an automatic transmission.During a flush,the dirt is pushed right back in and that is bad(done by the machine).A flush uses more fluid if being done by the machine.If you want a flush this is what you do,remove the bottom line and point that into a bucket or a pan.Start the vehicle up and start pouring fluid in until it is clear,red.You are removing the dirt and crud this way and using less transmission fluid.Check the fluid level after doing this.Changing the fluid and filter is the best thing do to an automatic transmission.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
89ltd
AF Enthusiast

it sounds like a speed sensor has gone bad, have the codes checked or replace the sensor/sensors.
89ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Kevster324
AF Newbie

Replaced speed sensor. Scanned with an OBDII scanner, and came up with multiple misfires (#1 and #4 cylinders.) Then I had a tune-up done with OEM parts. No change. I am at my wit's end on this. Is it possible the cat is clogged? By the way, no codes when I scan it now. All sensors check out fine.
Kevster324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
edbrycem
AF Regular

my experience w/ a plugged cat was similar and when i was parked i could rev it up and it wouldn't go pass, i think it was 4000 rpms and then it would start doggin' out. below that rpm it was fine, but i couldn't get it to go pass 4000 rpms. my cat was actually busted in pieces. maybe try reving it in park and see what it does....just a thought.
edbrycem is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10