Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Solara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
margaretp
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2005 Solara SLE and seatbelts

Hi. I just purchased an 05 Solara and for the most part I am very happy with it. However, I find the seatbelts to be very uncomfortable and tight. I was wondering if anyone else has the same compliant and if they can be adjusted (I know they are not user adjustable). I was so excited to buy a new car, but because of the seatbelt, I am disappointed.

thank you
Margaret
margaretp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:57 AM   #2
dead4ever
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 Solara SLE and seatbelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretp
Hi. I just purchased an 05 Solara and for the most part I am very happy with it. However, I find the seatbelts to be very uncomfortable and tight. I was wondering if anyone else has the same compliant and if they can be adjusted (I know they are not user adjustable). I was so excited to buy a new car, but because of the seatbelt, I am disappointed.

thank you
Margaret
Know nothing about seatbelts BUT--what do you think of Solara ride? Feel bumps easy? Sound like something is not right in rear underside of car? Bottom out sound on some bumps? Ride is much worse than Camry. Much worse than I expected.
dead4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
elementrice
AF Newbie

My seatbelts are working out for me. They are not tight at all.
elementrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.

Bring it back to the dealer with your complaint. They will adjust them if they are in the mood.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Re: Re: 2005 Solara SLE and seatbelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead4ever
Know nothing about seatbelts BUT--what do you think of Solara ride? Feel bumps easy? Sound like something is not right in rear underside of car? Bottom out sound on some bumps? Ride is much worse than Camry. Much worse than I expected.
The general rule is you should take a car out for a significant drive before you buy it to listen and feel for characteristics you don't like.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretp

thank you
Margaret
Welcome to the AF margaretp and elementrice!

Yes, the tension is adjustable. Bring it back to the dealer and they should adjust the tension on the belt for you. Sit in all the seats of your car so that you can judge whether all the belts in your car need to be adjusted or just the driver's belt. You want your passengers to be comfortable also.

Try another Solara and see if the belts in another car feel the same as yours. If so, they may be normal tightness. You may have to talk long and hard to get the dealer to adjust them to a lower tension if they are normal. Also, there is probably a minimum seat belt tension required by law. They may use that as a reason to not adjust them.

Don't forget, belts loosen up as they get older and the spring tension in the tensioner decreases.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
margaretp
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2005 Solara SLE and seatbelts

[quote=Brian R.]

Yes, the tension is adjustable. Bring it back to the dealer and they should adjust the tension on the belt for you. Sit in all the seats of your car so that you can judge whether all the belts in your car need to be adjusted or just the driver's belt. You want your passengers to be comfortable also.

QUOTE]

HI Brian, thank you for the response and the welcome. I already had it in for service and they claim, "there is nothing wrong with it". I have a call into the corp. office to get a senior person's assistance, but if the belts are adjustable, I fail to see why they did not tell me this. Like I said, I am deeply disappointed with this dealer. Will I get in trouble for posting the name of the dealer with a negative comment??

Thank you
Margaret
margaretp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:02 PM   #8
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

I apologise for seeming so certain about that. I am only going by other cars and people's ability to modify the tension. It may not be a Toyota-approved procedure, so the dealer may not know about it. They may only be able to replace the tensioner mechanism totally. Unlike other parts of the car, seat belts and airbags have alot of procedures that are fixed by law since they are safety-related items.

If you want to post a negative comment about the dealer, then post it in the appropriate forum.
Automotive Forums .com > Cars in General > Dealer Experiences

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Solara