Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 08:34 AM   #1
Eagle88
AF Newbie

4 wheel not working on 96 tracker

Ok went to check 4 wheel yesterday, front wheels don't turn. What is the most like;ly thing to check. I have manual lock outs, and that was going to be my first guess. I will not bring it in and pay someone 70 bucks an hour to tell me what is wrong.

Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Eagle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:54 PM   #2
chigger_ns
AF Newbie

Talking

Check your manual hubs. Youll have to take them apart. The bolts are alan head and they are metric. You will have to take your front wheels off to do this! Once you have ypur hubs turning cap off you will see a big spring attached to it and a cog on the other end. If the spring is broken you will need a new one.( they rust if not greased since factory)
The spline in which the cog moves may be rusty too, not letting the cog slide in and out (locked or un locked) this is fairly easy to do and take your time. But if you want to check to see if this is the problem first, just jack the front end up , try to lock the hubs, and spin one front wheel. If the other one moves in the oposite direction, your hubs should be fine. But I would still grease them!!!

The other thing that could be wrong is in your transfer case. But trust me, check the hubs!
chigger_ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:35 PM   #3
cskarnes
AF Newbie

I would check the hubs. A quick check before even pulling them apart is to turn them from freewheel to locked. They should move fairly easy and not bind. They should also feel the same on both sides. The other thing is are you sure that the wheels didn't have power?
cskarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:37 AM   #4
Rivernet1
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Rivernet1 Send a message via AIM to Rivernet1 Send a message via MSN to Rivernet1 Send a message via Yahoo to Rivernet1
Re: 4 wheel not working on 96 tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cskarnes
I would check the hubs. A quick check before even pulling them apart is to turn them from freewheel to locked. They should move fairly easy and not bind. They should also feel the same on both sides. The other thing is are you sure that the wheels didn't have power?
Hi all... I'm a noob when it comes to anything other than computing, so I'll ask now...

I have a 1991 Tracker, same problem as posted above. Now if I check the spin on the wheels this means it should work right?

2nd Q: Since I've never owned a 4WD vehicle and I got this car w/o a manual - what's the best way to operate the 4L/4H/2L w/o killing the tranny?

Put it in park, neutral... Told you I was a noob.

And from what I found out, I'm the only Tracker owner in my town.
(Is that a good thing? heh heh...)
Rivernet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
mluvstools
AF Newbie

with the hubs "locked" (turned fully clockwise) you can switch between 2h and 4h at anytime, moving or still, with the front wheels pointed straight ahead(Not turning). for 4L, you must be stopped. Hubs should be unlocked for best fuel mileage in good weather. 4h or l should not be used on dry pavement at all, this is very bad for the system.
mluvstools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
Eagle88
AF Newbie

Re: 4 wheel not working on 96 tracker

the problem has been solved. the lockouts were just not engageing properly. I knew they weren't engageing I was trying to go up a grassy hill, and just the rear wheels would spin.

Thanks for the replys.
Eagle88 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker