Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Commodore/VS/VT/VX
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
-FliM-
AF Newbie

VT II Overheating problem - Strange

Hey guys, been reading up on here before I posted yet another VT overheating thread.

Under normal driving conditions, temp guage will shoot up and I'll get the 'hot' warning on the dash.

Happened 3 times in about 10 hours of driving (currently lost my license, only drive it around the block and idle it to turn it over).

Water pump was replaced about 50,000km's ago. Coolant was flushed and replaced about 3 months/5000km's ago. No leaks under the car anywhere it is parked, coolant levels ok.

The first time it happened I put about 2L of water in it, sat it in the shade for half an hour and drove it home. Temps were normal. Since then it has happened twice, both times I've pulled over immediately, popped the hood. Coolant levels fine, not dry. Radiator fans aren't going, engine is cool to touch.

First thing to check? I spent 3 months in the snow and have driven back to tropical summer but I think the radiator is fine...

Any help appreciated! Hopefully it's an inexpensive fix - bubbles in the coolant/faulty thermostat or something, not sure what to look for cos it's my first car.
-FliM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
sparkeykev
AF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to sparkeykev
Re: VT II Overheating problem - Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FliM-
Hey guys, been reading up on here before I posted yet another VT overheating thread.

Under normal driving conditions, temp guage will shoot up and I'll get the 'hot' warning on the dash.

Happened 3 times in about 10 hours of driving (currently lost my license, only drive it around the block and idle it to turn it over).

Water pump was replaced about 50,000km's ago. Coolant was flushed and replaced about 3 months/5000km's ago. No leaks under the car anywhere it is parked, coolant levels ok.

The first time it happened I put about 2L of water in it, sat it in the shade for half an hour and drove it home. Temps were normal. Since then it has happened twice, both times I've pulled over immediately, popped the hood. Coolant levels fine, not dry. Radiator fans aren't going, engine is cool to touch.

First thing to check? I spent 3 months in the snow and have driven back to tropical summer but I think the radiator is fine...

Any help appreciated! Hopefully it's an inexpensive fix - bubbles in the coolant/faulty thermostat or something, not sure what to look for cos it's my first car.
perhaps you have a faulty temp sensor or wiring may be shorting to engine block or body
the thermostat may be faulty and not opening
sparkeykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
driffter
AF Newbie

Re: VT II Overheating problem - Strange

is the cooling system bleed properly?
driffter is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Commodore/VS/VT/VX