Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
01 Caravan
AF Newbie

01 Caravan, New Steering Gear Rack at 40,000 miles!

Hi all, We have a 2001 Dodge Caravan. Wife is the only driver on it. For awhile we have had a clunking noise from the front suspension that could be heard and felt through the steering wheel when on rough roads. Took it in to the dealer today. Service writer calls back and tells us that the front sway bar bushings are bad and that the steering gear rack inner joints are bad. This requires that a new steering gear rack be installed. He says that he has seen this on Caravan's anywhere from 30K to 80k miles. I think it is sad that the rack needs replaces at only 40K. Anybody been down this road on the new Caravans? And has anybody had any luck with Chrysler picking up part of the cost considering that there is only 40K on the vehicle? Thanks, Charles
01 Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:20 AM   #2
yale329
AF Regular

Question Re: 01 Caravan, New Steering Gear Rack at 40,000 miles!

Really sounds odd that both happened at once. I would take it in for a front end alignment at a reputable Tire shop. If it needs work, at least you will have a second opinion. Most all Shops this way will only charge you $20.00 if you choose not to let them repair and align your front end. At least you will have a second opinion and they will be hundreds cheaper than a dodge Dealer. Good luck, Wayne from Canada
yale329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #3
ivanwhite
AF Newbie

Re: 01 Caravan, New Steering Gear Rack at 40,000 miles!

Did replacing the rack solve the problem? I too have a "clunk" that occurs when hitting small potholes. Tie-rod ends, struts, ball joints and engine mopunts have been rulled out. But hate to replace the steering rack w/o knowing if that's it!
ivanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
int_53185
AF Newbie

Been down the clunk road before with my wifes 97 caravan...did the links...tie rod ends..rack and pinion...am now certain it is the inner sway bar bushings,,,can be had for a buck and some change at any napa store...LOL
int_53185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
homefree
AF Regular

I have a 2000 caravan sport that had a clunk in the front end and you could feel it in the steering wheel every time you would hit a bump, so when i brought it in they said that it was a common problem with this year of van and they replaced the lower part of the steering shaft ( it would be the lower part of the steering calum)
homefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
EVH5150
AF Enthusiast

Hey Ivan, just had my allignment done a few weeks ago and asked the guy about the clunking noise that I hear when hitting bumps. And told him I changed the struts and balljoints recently. He said the clinking is common from worn out swaybar bushings. real noticable in cold weather. Try changing these out before the gear rack. Good luck.
EVH5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
ivanwhite
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVH5150
.... He said the clinking is common from worn out swaybar bushings. real noticable in cold weather. Try changing these out before the gear rack. Good luck.
Will do. I have them in the garage. My alignment guy says that these cars are notorious for bad strut mounts (at the top of the strut). If changing the bushings doesn't do it, I'll go for the struts and mounts.

Thanks for the suggestion! Much cheaper this way!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 PM   #8
Anaudiophile
AF Regular

Put a set of sway bar bushes and links in it, and I can almost guarantee it'll be fixed!! Lots of problems with them!!
Haven't come across a faulty rack due to worn inner tie rods, but could be possible.
Nonetheless, replace the bushes/links first.
Anaudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
ivanwhite
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 01 Caravan, New Steering Gear Rack at 40,000 miles!

[quote=Anaudiophile]Put a set of sway bar bushes and links in it, and I can almost guarantee it'll be fixed!! Lots of problems with them!!/QUOTE]

I had previously replaced the sway bar links and it didn't help eliminate the clunking noise going ver bumps. With 94,000 miles, was expecting the worst. But when I replaced the sway bar bushings, the clunking was GONE! What a great forum. And it cost practically nothing!

Very surprised as the original bushings looked ok, but a little flattened on one side where it must have been rubbing or allowing play to rub somewhere else. Recommend replacing the bushings BEFORE anything else to eliminate clunking that doesn't appear to be tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar end links, struts, engine mounts, etc. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #10
EVH5150
AF Enthusiast

Glad to hear it. Now I just have to get at mine, caus the clunking's driving me nuts!!! lol
EVH5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:40 PM   #11
Lee W
AF Newbie

Clunking sway bar in 1990 Caravan

I had a front wheel shimmy in my 1990 Dodge Caravan, 136,000 miles. When everything I tried made no difference I took it down to my corner gas station mechanics for diagnosis. Their answer was the rack was bad, and gave me an estimate of $1300 to repair it. With the help of a friend I replaced the rack but it did nothing to fix the shimmy. I next tried a rebuilt half axle, ($50) and that did fix the shimmy. I had to lower the sway bar to replace the rack and again to replace the half axle. The sway bar was fine after replacing the rack, but I got unlucky the second time and it makes a clunking noise on corners and bumps. (I know it’s the sway bar because I temporarily removed it and did not get the clunking noise on a test drive. I’ve replaced the four rubber bushings, and I’ve reassembled it many times to make sure that there is equal free space at the ends of the sway bar. Any help would be much appreciated.

Lee W in San Jose.
Lee W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:48 PM   #12
Lee W
AF Newbie

1990 Dodge Caravan Clunking sound.

Follow up:

Here it is five months later and I finally fixed the clunking sound in my 1990 Dodge Caravan. I had convinced myself that it had something to do with the anti-sway bar, as it started when I lowered and reinstalled the anti-sway bar to replace the half axle. Nothing I did with the anti-sway bar made a difference so last week I removed the control arm and replaced the strut bushing, the pivot bushing, and the ball joint. For now at least, I no longer drive a "clunker". I suspect it was the strut bushing, but removal and installing the control arm was a big enough job that I changed all three while I had it out.

Lee W
San Jose, CA
Lee W is offline   Reply With Quote