Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Lightbulb Jetta Diesel in a 70' Charger?

Just got this idea one day watching a VW commercial,

what if you bought a new jetta diesel engine (and onther parts necissary to adapt it to he Charger of course) and modifyed it to fit a 1970 Dodge Charger? I don't know if this would be possible but it seems likeit could be.

post any comments on the idea of course but one thing I'm hoping to hear is some estimates on parts and total and parts cost.

Last edited by Shpuker; 07-26-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
BlueDjinn
AF Newbie

Re: Jetta Diesel in a 70' Charger?

Well... your imagination knows no bounds and I'll give you points for originality but do you realize that even the most up to date Jetta diesel
engine only develops about 140 horsepower and 235 ft/lbs torque. That is slant-six territory (145hp@215ft/lbs). I really don't know anyone that
wants 140 horsepower in a 1970 Dodge Charger and I can assure you that any kind of respectible horsepower from a Jetta diesel will cost serious
money. Just over 300 (318) horsepower at around 493 ft/lbs torque can be had from the Jetta diesel which puts you in the neighbourhood of having
a 383 B series gasoline V8. The man that you would want to talk to about doing anything like this is TOM CALVERT at Illinois Dyno Center, 1010 N.
High Street, Port Byron, Illinois 61275. (309) 523-9200 Fax (309) 523-9204.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tom-calvert/5/64/38 http://www.illinoisdynocenter.biz/main.sc
BlueDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Post Re: Jetta Diesel in a 70' Charger?

I can see where horsepower would be a problem there. Think it would be possible to run a turbo and other horsepower boosters to get it to run around 300?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
BlueDjinn
AF Newbie

Yes the Jetta diesel requires turbocharging. Pretty much all of the engine mechanical needs to be addressed to achieve respectable and reliable
horsepower output. Engine fasteners like capscrews need to be replaced with studs and nuts and not the counterfeit offshore crap either. I will
only use studs and nuts made in USA from American steel. They're the only ones that I trust in a big dollar engine and a Jetta diesel putting out
upwards of 300 to 350 horsepower is a big dollar engine.
Engine aside, have you given any consideration to what transmission would be mated to it. There are bell housing adapters available for joining
429-460 Ford engines onto GM Turbohydramatic transmissions for example. I rather have my doubts that there is a bell housing adapter in existence
for joining a Jetta diesel engine to a Chrysler Torqueflite transmission; so one would have to be created and a "one-off" certainly wouldn't be cheap.
If you are genuinely serious about proceeding with this little endeavour you might want to see if you can get yourself a nice case of diarrhea so
can start crapping out thousand dollar bills; and lots of them, cuz yer gonna need 'em.
Like I said in my previous post in which I provided links; the guy that you want to talk to about doing this is TOM CALVERT at Illinois Dyno.
BlueDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

I sent dyno an email a few hours ago. and this would be something I want to do eventualy, right now I cant afford it but I think it would be a nice setup. as far as transmission that would be one of the hard parts. and as you said theres probaly no existing adaptor for that. one thing im gona look at a little to is looking into a mercedes diesel. I overlooked it at first cause the origonal engine itself owuld cost quite a bit more
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Shpuker,
Please do not start multiple threads on the same subject.
It is annoying to other users.... like me, who just spent 15 minutes answering your other thread on this subject in Classic cars.... a posting that has been made largely redundant by the posts made here.

BTW I'm not really mad..........
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

yea I realized about a minute after posting them that the multiple posting deal was un-necissary won't happen again

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
cristian1985
AF Newbie

Good ideea but I don't think the body of jetta will support that . See more informations about that on autovit
cristian1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
sub006
AF Enthusiast

A local race mechanic made a very economical and roomy cruiser out of a '50s Studebaker Hawk body with a Nissan four cylinder and five speed.

When you lifted the hood and looked down, it seemed like there were about two feet of bare ground between the radiator and the fan on the front of the engine!
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
arock7musicx
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
Just got this idea one day watching a VW commercial,

what if you bought a new jetta diesel engine (and onther parts necissary to adapt it to he Charger of course) and modifyed it to fit a 1970 Dodge Charger? I don't know if this would be possible but it seems likeit could be.

post any comments on the idea of course but one thing I'm hoping to hear is some estimates on parts and total and parts cost.
bad idea
arock7musicx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1970 , charger , concept , diesel , jetta
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical