Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
tsgray69
AF Newbie

98 Ford Contour 2.0L 4 cyl

I have a 98 Ford Contour 2.0L 4 cyl. I'm changing the timing belt, which broke, so I have to start from scratch. I can find the alignment for the top back cam gear and the lower crank, but how do I align the front cam gear, do I base it on the back, make sure the cam shafts are in the correct position under the V.C., using the slots at the driver side end of the cams or what?? If anyone could help, it would be very appreciated!!! And if I'll need any special tools?

Thanks in advance, Scott
tsgray69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
hobco
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to hobco
Re: 98 Ford Contour 2.0L 4 cyl

you are correct. get a piece of steel that is the same size of the slots andslide it in. it is off set so it will only go one way and rest on the valve cover surface of the head. and by the way i think that is an interferance engine. most likely bent some valves
hobco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
pre98zetec
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to pre98zetec Send a message via MSN to pre98zetec Send a message via Yahoo to pre98zetec
Re: Re: 98 Ford Contour 2.0L 4 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobco
you are correct. get a piece of steel that is the same size of the slots andslide it in. it is off set so it will only go one way and rest on the valve cover surface of the head. and by the way i think that is an interferance engine. most likely bent some valves
Wrong.

Zetec is a non-interference motor. Belt breaks- replace it.

I know mine is a pre-98 (non VCT) but heres how I do it

First make sure piston 1 and 4 are TDC, (top dead center). You can check this by taking the valve cover off, and spark plugs. and sticking a screw driver in the #1 piston to see if it is TDC, if its not you can either crank the car till it is or you can take a rachet are turn the crank pulley to rotate the pistons, ONLY DO THIS CLOCKWISE.

Next, since the belts off you can adjust the cams. This seems hard and tricky- but its truley easy. One you have them lined up put the peice of metal in the cams to lock them and put the belt on.

your best bet is look at a manual for the car, it will tell you how to replace it step by step. I can't help you much because changing my timing belt and changing your timing belt are two different things, they are totally different.

EDIT: heres a how to I found, should prove to be very useful to you

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/sh...rue#Post746298

96' Integra GSR / ITR cams/valvetrain. Skunk2 IM, Greddy evo2, AEM CAI, RMF Header, Megan testpipe, Hasport mounts, Eibach coilovers, Beaks tie bar, Megan H brace, Rota Attacks, F/R strut bar, Kirk 6 point cage, Bride Cugas, Takata 4 Point, ITR Steering wheel
98' SVT Contour, 3L Port-Matched swap with SVT cams/full bolt ons; 224fwhp.
01' Chevy Blazer, DD.
pre98zetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
knockerccd
AF Newbie

If you have the Zetec engine...the one with the VCT(Variable Camshaft Timing) system, it's almost mandatory that you will have to read the Ford TSB(technical service bulletin) number 98-9-8 thoroughly! It is very thorough concerning proper timing belt replacement procedure while it's explaining replacing the VCT Solenoid. Other Ford TSB's related to the issue are 00-3-7, 99-25-4 and 03-15-14.

For those new to what TSB's are-they are simply pieces of information released from the manufacturer concerning proper replacement procedures and unique and helpful pieces of information specific to a particular make and model...even engine size of a vehicle. You can learn alot from them. I have.

Regarding any special tools...you will need an e-20(reverse torx) socket to loosen the exhaust camshaft sprocket from the camshaft after the oil plug cover is removed from the exhaust camshaft sprocket(this is an special oil & spring filled sprocket!). I don't have the e-20(reverse torx) socket, so I sufficed by using the snuggest fitting 12pt. socket(use standard not metric...standard fits ever so slightly better)-I forget the exact standard 12pt. size...so you'll have to test fit over the e-20 torx camshaft sprocket bolt head to get the best fit.
Also purchase an 24mm open end wrench to hold the lugs ground onto
both of the camshafts to keep them from turning while you loosen the
sprocket bolts one at a time. Ford TSB 98-9-8 shows where these lugs are located or you can see them yourself once you get the valve cover off.

I'm subscribed to this thread so if anyone needs any more help just post! And I'll get back asap.

p.s. Sk8tr is right it's an non-interferance engine...no bent valves! sorry Hobco
knockerccd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
zx2srdotnet
Banned

Send a message via AIM to zx2srdotnet

why read it?
i know many of people that have done the belt and not read it
zx2srdotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 03:39 AM   #6
~manuel~
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockerccd
If you have the Zetec engine...the one with the VCT(Variable Camshaft Timing) system, it's almost mandatory that you will have to read the Ford TSB(technical service bulletin) number 98-9-8 thoroughly! It is very thorough concerning proper timing belt replacement procedure while it's explaining replacing the VCT Solenoid. Other Ford TSB's related to the issue are 00-3-7, 99-25-4 and 03-15-14.

For those new to what TSB's are-they are simply pieces of information released from the manufacturer concerning proper replacement procedures and unique and helpful pieces of information specific to a particular make and model...even engine size of a vehicle. You can learn alot from them. I have.

Regarding any special tools...you will need an e-20(reverse torx) socket to loosen the exhaust camshaft sprocket from the camshaft after the oil plug cover is removed from the exhaust camshaft sprocket(this is an special oil & spring filled sprocket!). I don't have the e-20(reverse torx) socket, so I sufficed by using the snuggest fitting 12pt. socket(use standard not metric...standard fits ever so slightly better)-I forget the exact standard 12pt. size...so you'll have to test fit over the e-20 torx camshaft sprocket bolt head to get the best fit.
sprocket bolts one at a time. Ford TSB 98-9-8 shows where these lugs are located or you can see them yourself once you get the valve cover off.

I'm subscribed to this thread so if anyone needs any more help just post! And I'll get back asap.

p.s. Sk8tr is right it's an non-interferance engine...no bent valves! sorry Hobco
i believe he is trying to replace the timing belt only.so he will not have to loosen any cam sprocket from the cam.i suggest purchasing a manual such as haynes as they tend to have pretty good illustrations. there are indeed special tools that are necessary to align the the cams.and there is also a special crank alignment tool which basically looks like a special bolt which threads into the side of the block near the exhaust and acts as a "stop" in order to get #1 at true TDC compression.although this is not a necessary tool, you do need some sort of cam alignment tool.and i just finished my training on "servicing OHC engines" for FORD. according to the service information the only belt driven ford engine that is an "interference" engine is the Zetec found in the SVT version.and all OHC chain driven engines are interference engines.but this info doesnt account for the belt driven SHO's and markets other than North America.
~manuel~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Swine70
AF Newbie

for some reason i can't make a new thread...

anyways.

mother inlaws car died, it's a 1999 (se model i believe) mechanic said timing belt/chain and that it caused 2 bent valves. it's the inline 4cyl. motor. is it worth the $750-$850 that he is wanting to charge her? she can't offered to get a new or even used car right now.
i thought this was a "non-interference" engine. are there 2 4 cyl. engines?
Swine70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
Jason43
AF Regular

Sounds like your mechanic is either raping you or is clueless. Either way, I'd get a second opinion.

1999 Ford Contour SVT
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Swine70
AF Newbie

indeed.
i'm gonna have to get over there and see what has been done i guess.

and it's an Lx model
Swine70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #10
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine70
i thought this was a "non-interference" engine. are there 2 4 cyl. engines?
only one 4 cylinder used in the contour. And yes, it is a non-interference engine. Id take it somewhere else.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #11
mh1205
AF Newbie

hi,
i am in the process of changing timing belt also on 1998 contour se 2.0 dohc vct. i had a tb go bad due to shredded worn guide pulley. i have replaced the cam positioner sensor, waterpump, 2 idler pulley's, tensioner pulley, and belt. set everything tdc and stalled, belt jumped before i got to the neighbors driveway. made tension adj. as told on the bracket and so on. compression is 100-110 on all 4. what is making this belt jump. and where can i find this vct silenoid it does not show it in the haynes. thx for any help.

mh1205
1998 contour se 2.0 vct dohc
1998 contour se 2.0 ztec dohc
mh1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
4thmessenger
AF Newbie

I just changed out a shredded timing belt on 99 contour due to bottom idler siezed up. Got it back together and started first time and idles good. Under load it runs erratically and logs 0340, 1380, 1381, 1383 - the whole show. TSB 03-15-14 suggests that the wrong oil or filter can cause this and I do not know how the car ran prior to the shredded belt. Going to change the oil and put on the FL 2005 filter. Any suggestions?
4thmessenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Rich Maupin
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockerccd

I am new to this site, could you please direct me to more information about the VCT unit specifically on how to eithor fix it or replace it. My e-mail is maupin.rc@pg.com. Thanks Car is a 99 contour with vct 2.o liter
Rich Maupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
hammerdn5
AF Newbie

does anyone know where to find technical service bulletin 98-9-8, online. I'm having this problem and am looking for some info on this..
hammerdn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #15
jwitte596
AF Newbie

I just got done tearing the motor down and I am now ready to reassemble the motor, but I have no torque specs for this motor. I got the 2.0 Zetec VCT motor, its in a 1997 contour but I am pretty sure after doing some research that the motor is a 1998. I also am clueless as how to time this motor??? Can someone help please?? Thanks!!!!
jwitte596 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour