Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
kave in
AF Newbie

Question help with fog lights

i have an 04 kc frontier and its not prewired. i really want some fog lights but the dealership wont even install them for me. so i went autozone and kragen to look for wire harnesses but they dont sell those. where should i take my truck to get lights installed? will i have to install them myself?
thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated.
kave in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Frontin'
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Frontin'
Re: help with fog lights

dude just install them ur self. if u want it done a super easy way. get a 5$ toggle switch. run the power wire, run the ground wire, and run the wires from the light to the switch. its not hard at all. if u want to wire it into ur lights so they turn on with them, well that gets harder, ull need a test light and ull have to check witch wire goes to ur lights, and splice it into that. still pretty damn simple.
Frontin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 02:54 AM   #3
kave in
AF Newbie

i looked under my hood to see if its something id be able to do on my own but it doesnt look as easy as you make it seem. i actually would prefer to have my fog lights turn on when my head lights turn on but i dont know where the + is on my head lights. and i havent seen the fog lights so im not even sure if its as easy as putting a + to the power and - the ground. i thought it would be as easy as installing accent lights but if you elaborate i might attempt to do it myself.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
Frontin'
AF Newbie

okay dude ill explain this the best i can, it really isnt that hard, and its a easy fix if it dont work. u can do it, have some faith. okay the main parts u are gonna need,
wire strippers/crimpers
wire crimps
a test light

im assuming the fog lights only have a positive and a grounde wire on them (black and red) so this is how u do it with only those 2 wires, if theres more hit me back i can probly still help.

okay im not sure which wire is positive either on the head lamps since theres 3, so what ur gonna do it take a test light and check the three wires untill one lights up. make sure the head lights are on when u do this other wise u wont know which is which, and make sure the light goes out when u turn the lights off. thats ur positive wire. okay...now right in the middle of that wire ur gonna cut it. make sure its in the middle!! okay so strip both ends of the wire so theres about 1/2 inch of wire sticking out. take one of ur crimpers, (i would suggest blue for the right size) and stick one end of the headlight wire in it and crimp it. next take the positive wire on the fog lights and the 2nd headlight wire and put them both in the other end of the crimper and crimp them down. now u can take the neg wire on the fog lights and bolt it down to a metal ground anywhere on the truck u like. make sure its a good ground!! easy way to do it, is loosen a bolt holding something inplace, and stick the wire under it and tighten it back down. then ur gonna do the same thing for the 2nd fog light on the other headlight. mount the lights and turn the head lights on. if the fog lights dont come on first i would check ur ground wire, it might not be a good chassie ground. so i hope that makes sence its kinda hard to explain on here, i would take pics and show u step by step but my digi cam got jacked a few weeks back and i havnt got a new one yet. so if u have ne more questions just leave em here ill get back to you. hope that helps dude. its very easy should only take u an hour at max. good luck!
Old 11-17-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
kave in
AF Newbie

hey cool, thanks alot. i decided to buy the lights and go try youre method out. i got them to work but i used parking lights instead of headlights. now im just working on cleaning up my wiring job.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
Frontin'
AF Newbie

hey park lights work great too. im glad they work, nice job, and it wasnt that hard now was it? okay well i hope ur happy and yes clean up ur wiring, have it all in one place, and close togeather and not hanging out in the middle of no where, i shoulda explain that sorry. and hiding the wire is even better, doesnt look as tacky and gives it more of a show look. if u were gonna show off ur engine.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:21 AM   #7
kcg795
AF Regular

Ok. You guys are forgetting the relay switch. Never EVER hook up a set of auxilery lights to the same circuit as your headlights or parking lights. You're raise the risk of frying your electrical system and fuses.

What you do is splice into the circuit you want to use to activate the lights. For example, if you want the parking lights to turn on your fog lamps, then you tap into that circuit. Then run the wire to the "switching means" on your relay switch. Then run a "fused" wire straight from the positive terminal of your battery and connect it to the battery terminal of your relay switch. Hook a ground wire to your relay switch to where it says Ground and screw it to the frame. Then you connect your lights to the "lamps" terminal of your relay switch.

This will provide power STRAIGHT from the battery when you flip on your lights. It'll take a lot less strain from your electrical system as well. But please. Do NOT connect your auxilery lights directly to the same circuit as your regular lights.
kcg795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #8
bhfdsta.1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: help with fog lights

Thanks for jumpin' in there "kcg", I was getting a bit nervous reading this thread. It seems as if "frontin" wanted to reduce "kave in" to ashes. Please guys, never wire anything without fuses and relays. I've extinguished too many that haven't.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Frontier | Navara