Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
alkemist
AF Regular

Unhappy Car does not start after gas tank emptied and now wouldnt crank .What could it be?

My buick riviera 1996 was tipped up from right-rear for a long time. I had started the casr after 6 months with no problem, but gas ran out completely from the system and car shut down. Now, with gas inside it will not start,

Battery is good and smoke comes out of the rear when I try to start it up. I hear some cylinders banging for a second or two sometimes. If time is allowed between attempts, the car starts about 1/3 of the way and then dies.

What could have caused this problem? Fuel filter? if it is where could it be located in my car/replacing it a job I can do on driveway?

Thank you so much.

MORE DETAIL ON THE ISSUE AT ADDRESS: http://www.teambuick.com/forums/show...4822#post34822

Last edited by alkemist; 03-29-2006 at 10:59 PM.
alkemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
alkemist
AF Regular

Re: Car does not start completely after gas tank emptied completely. What could it be?

After another couple of attempts to start, the engine stopped rotating at all. Afdter the turn of the key, it would click and emit a sound like it wants to turn but something would not allow it.

I am thinking of first checking the spark plugs. O the other hand, since the car intially ran perfectly until it stalled.... the spark plugs should have burned off whatever oil was stuck on them'

Im confused... please please help.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
dave92cherokee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Car does not start completely after gas tank emptied completely. What could it be?

Take the battery out and take it to be tested. You probably have a dead maybe bad battery. I used to have a 93 voyager minivan and had trouble starting it and when it would start it blew white smoke like crazy (because of cracked block) but it got to where it eventually would not start at all and took the battery to be tested and there were 2 dead cells in it. If it's just clicking then that points to battery, corosion on wires coming from battery, or bad starter.
dave92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #4
jdlsbabygirl
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Car does not start completely after gas tank emptied completely. What could it be?

check battery also timing could be off change fuel filter it's real easy also check spark plugs to see if they are gas fowled. good Luck
jdlsbabygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

i'd say that it's the battery, it's trying to crank over but doesn't have the power so it clicks. if there is no sound at all it could either be the battery or the starter. first change the battery, if that dowesn't work, check your spark plugs and ignition(i doubt that's the problem though), then your starter. just work your way through the electrical system from there

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
alkemist
AF Regular

Lightbulb Re: Car does not start completely after gas tank emptied completely. What could it be?

THe vehicle is back to tryign to start. I am 99% sure the battery is OK. BEsides.... Riviera batteries are monsters. WHen I mentioned the car wouldnt start, starter ran. This time, engine cranks, puffs a little and dies. If I would try to start it again with little delay... it fould not even ignite the fuel. Time is given to charge the battery up, it would once again, start crankin, blows smoke and dies.

I AM CURRENTLY THINKING (AFTER CHECKING THE PLUGS) FILL IT UP NOT WITH A GALLON OF REGULAR I ADDED AFTER TANK EMPTIED, BUT FILL IT UP WITH SUPER. i SUSPECT AFTER CAR'S 6 MONTH SIT ON DRIVEWAY WITH ONLY ONE START AND TANK BEING EMPTIED, THERE IS NOW WATER AND DIRT IN THE IGNITION SYSTEM. REGULAR GAS IS SHIT.

Hopin plugs and some good fuel will resolve the issue

I thank all for replying !!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

super won't do anything, it's basicly the same as regular but with higher octane which makes itharder to ignite, if anything it'd be easier to start on regular. try the plugs, and definitly change the battery or have it tested, what you're explaining sounds like a dead battery.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
alkemist
AF Regular

Question Re: Car does not start completely after gas tank emptied completely. What could it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_bourito
..., what you're explaining sounds like a dead battery.
Question of interest. How can it be a dead battery if the engine is turned and spark is present at start?

Appreciate it
Old 03-31-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemist
After the turn of the key, it would click and emit a sound like it wants to turn but something would not allow it.
that sounds like a dead battery

Old 03-31-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
alkemist
AF Regular

Ok, I will work on this tomorrow and come back with an update.

Thanx for the support
Old 04-02-2006, 01:17 PM   #11
alkemist
AF Regular

Lightbulb An Update An Update Upda Upda On Situation!! Help Still Needed Thank You All

I had determined the problem with my car not starting up being: NO SPARK.

Here is what I have done so far in attempts to fix this issue:
I replaced all spark plugs
I replaced ignition coils and checked the connector to them.
I tested fuel pump and fuel line to make sure it reaches the engine.
I made sure the battery is OK
I changed the spark plug wires, bc 2 of them had rust on contacts.

After some research on AF, I came to a number of "resolutions" which may solve the problem:
Crank sensor (CPS?)
Ignition switch
ESC module
PCM fried
EGR sensor/valve
and ofcourse broken wires. (very unlikely)

I would like to stress once again: the car was left running until it shut down. Ever since I was unable to start it up.

When I do try to start it up:

motor turns with the starter
fuel in fuel lines is heard
black smoke comes out of exhaust (perhaps due to compression with no spark in ignition chambers

Out of the things I listed Id be willing to check, which ones need to be checked first and last. What is the possibility of them braking when the car is running. What other tests need to be done?

I will probably be calling a mech with scan to see if I get RPMS from the crank at statup. If not... I was told it could either be, CPS, IGN mod 2 or even PCM (whatever it is).

PS.
I will also check connectors at ICM and wiring to crank sensor. There is no rust under igntion module. I will laos find out what TPS and map sensors are and check them also.

I have 1996 BUICK RIVIERA V6.

Thank you!!!

Last edited by alkemist; 04-02-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
alkemist
AF Regular

Exclamation Re: Car does not start completely after gas tank emptied completely. What could it be?

The reason I am so determined to fix the car myself is because It is on the driveway and towing is not cheap at all around here. THerefore, ANY help is greatly appreciated. TX
Old 04-21-2006, 10:32 AM   #13
ibfast21
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: Car does not start completely after gas tank emptied completely. What could it be?

I read ur problem and i am haveing the same problem with my 2001 pontiac sunfire. I ran out of gas while driving. I put gas in and hooked up some jumper cables but all that happens when i turn the ignition is the engine turns over but it wont fire. I was told that there was a valve on the gas line going into the engine where u can bleed all the air out until there is gas coming out. Then it should start right up. I cant find the valve though. I can only find two air conditioner valves so i dont know if this is true or if it would help at all but my car still isnt running.
ibfast21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #14
alkemist
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibfast21
I read ur problem and i am haveing the same problem with my 2001 pontiac sunfire. I ran out of gas while driving. I put gas in and hooked up some jumper cables but all that happens when i turn the ignition is the engine turns over but it wont fire. I was told that there was a valve on the gas line going into the engine where u can bleed all the air out until there is gas coming out. Then it should start right up. I cant find the valve though. I can only find two air conditioner valves so i dont know if this is true or if it would help at all but my car still isnt running.

There is a valve on the engine block where the fuel lines go inside. You can press it with screw driver to test it for fuel pressure. Turn ignition on couple of time for pump to built presure up and then press the valve in with screw driver to see if fuel squirts out. If it squirts out with high pressure ure ok, but if not (what happened in my case) it may very well be fuel pump. I fixed the problem, but with a tag of 700 bills.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

yea, you might need to bleed the fuel lines, if there's air bubbles that could cause the car to run lean, causing knock, possibly the banging sound you heard. i dont know.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical