Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
zakk74
AF Newbie

Achieva having acceleration issues

its a 1994 olds achieva 2.3 L ,and it misses badly when hard acceleration is attempted. I looked under the car after pulling in driveway and it was glowing red right behind the catalytic converter(Im not sure,but their are two round things before the muffler,and its the one closer to the motor). could it be that the converter is clogging? Ive only had it for 2 weeks,bought from local dealer, Henry Oberling dealership in portsmouth ohio(just to let anyone know,since I feel as though i was taken!!!) Anyway the problem came on slowly,at first only missing a little then seemingly coming out of it. But the last time it acted up it just stayed that way.Only a small miss at idle,but very pronounced when accelerator is mashed to the floor. any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
zakk74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
Goetz57
AF Newbie

Re: Achieva having acceleration issues

Well from what you said, it sounds like the converter...had one do a similar act...I looked under car from drivers seat at stoplight at night and talk about glow!!! And the place you got if from may not have known it was getting ready to take a dump. And side note.....seeing as mine is a few yrs newer, it may not apply, but on my 97 if you slam the gas down it will start cutting out at about 3 grand...lets call it a safety feature ! Hope this helped
Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
razr_88
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razr_88
Re: Achieva having acceleration issues

check the simple things first... plugs, wires, distributor/coils, check fluid levels for fullness(ie antifreeze). sounds like an emmissions thing to me.

also see if theres any codes in the computer that may aid in your search

let us know
razr_88 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva