Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
kvb78
AF Newbie

Question 1970 Restoration

My mother bought a 70 nova in 1969 and it has the straight 6 cyl engine. She wants to get it back on the road. That is my project... Any suggestions from any of you who have done this? Any great resources? Any info would help.
Thanks
kvb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Re: 1970 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvb78
My mother bought a 70 nova in 1969 and it has the straight 6 cyl engine. She wants to get it back on the road. That is my project... Any suggestions from any of you who have done this? Any great resources? Any info would help.
Thanks
Welcome to AF! Sounds like you got a good project on your hands to keep you busy. Some great resources for parts include getting the latest copy of Hemmings Motor News. It has private party classifieds as well as companies that deal in restoration parts. (Kind of like an "all in one book". ) You could also look into the possibility of any local clubs in your area that specialize in Novas, or cars of that era. The clubs have members that have a wealth of knowledge as well as the possibility of any needed parts. There are companies that deal solely in Nova resto parts, doing a quick Google search may yield some results. I know from past experience many of these companies advertise in the back of car hobbyist magazines such as Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc. Another good resource for parts could be your local car shows parts flea markets or parts corrals. I've found some parts for older cars that I've restored over the years. And last but not least keep active on this forum as there are a lot of good members here with many years of experience you can use to your benefit. Any issues or questions you may come across, don't hesitate to post them here. Good luck!

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
asknight
AF Newbie

Re: 1970 Restoration

Classic Industries and O'Reilly Auto Parts will have everything you're likely to need. CI has a downloadable PDF catalog specifically for the Chevy II/Nova. I've purchased parts from them for my '67 4 door and am satisfied with them enough to recommend them without reservation.

How long has the car been sitting? I would start my inspection by checking everything rubber on the car. Mine sat for 19 years in a barn before I rescued it.

I had to replace the following to get it running reliably:
Tires
Heater hoses and clamps
Radiator hoses and clamps
Generator belt
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug wires
Battery
Battery cables
Fuel pump diaphragm
Carburetor kit
Wheel cylinders
Vacuum lines
Front brake lines (short rubber section near drum assembly)
Engine oil change
Tranny (Powerglide) fluid change and fresh filter
Air filter element

I also had to pull the ignition switch and get it to a locksmith since I didn't have any keys to the car. For $15 he was able to pick the switch and remove the lock cylinder and make me a key for the ignition, doors, glove box, and trunk.

Right now I am into the car for about $500 worth of parts and consumables to get it in running condition. I'm now spending my time and effort defeating the mud daubers (black wasps) that built their homes in the car for almost 20 years. It's messy, but since it was stored in a barn it is relatively rust free.

I also highly recommend Sea Foam for use in the fuel tank and in the crankcase for the first couple of hundred miles, then a complete oil change.

Good luck, and don't forget to take a few before/after pictures. It will make for an interesting heirloom in your family!
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Nova