Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools
Machine Tools Learn about metal lathes, milling machines and CNC tools.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #16
lam90
AF Newbie

Re: Introduce yourself!

Hi, my name is Larry and live in New Jersey in the US. I am probably the oldest member of this board having just reached 64 and made tthe decision to retire this year.

About 5 years ago I picked up one of the Asian 7x10 Mini-Lathes and an Asian Mini-Mills from a local person who had bought them new and never unpacked them. Since the time I purchased them they sat in my workshop in that same state until January of this year when I retired and finally decided that it was time to set them up and start using them.

My skill level is currently at a point that I am able to make many different single parts, but have still not mastered the art of making two of anything the same.

Right now my lathe has been completely disassembled and I am in the act of fixing some of the basic design and quality problems that it came with, although very slowly.

My primary focus for using this equipment is in making parts for 1/18 diecast cars. To those of you who haven't worked in this scale let me say that there are not a lot of items in the marketplace to help you, but that is part of the fun.

Best regards,

Larry
lam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #17
nobuddie
AF Newbie

Hello
I'm 62. pretty much through except for fun projects. I worked in a power plant. I was a certified welder. All metals. Have this stuff at home. welders, 3' lathe, presses. I paint. Used to run a body shop. I have a vast knowledge of industrial and home projects. A lot of knowledge and nothing to use it for. Oh, yeah, have 2 valve grinding machines. Sand blaster. I'd be glad to help anyone. I have resources and enjoy sharing knowledge. No, I'm not a genius. Just worked all my life.
nobuddie. cdmiller@netride.net
nobuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuddie
Hello
I'm 62. pretty much through except for fun projects. I worked in a power plant. I was a certified welder. All metals. Have this stuff at home. welders, 3' lathe, presses. I paint. Used to run a body shop. I have a vast knowledge of industrial and home projects. A lot of knowledge and nothing to use it for. Oh, yeah, have 2 valve grinding machines. Sand blaster. I'd be glad to help anyone. I have resources and enjoy sharing knowledge. No, I'm not a genius. Just worked all my life.
nobuddie. cdmiller@netride.net
Ok nobuddie looks like you still becoming our buddy Welcome here! I'm more than sure that you'll help a lot. I didn't understand if you are also a modeler: but don't mean about if you aren't: an "external" viewpoint is ever precious and often give news. Welcome!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #19
nobuddie
AF Newbie

no, I'm not a modeler. But I've made parts from the bathroom lockset to steam turbines. I have a variety of interests. I'm interested about anything, and if I don't know how, I'll learn or find resourses that can help.
c
Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #20
nobuddie
AF Newbie

a chinese lathe/ mill from harbor freight[chinese] costs about $350-$1200 American. Just different size .all work fine. If you don't have access, let me know, I'll scan and e mail you some pix and address. C
nobuddie cdmiller@netride.net
Old 11-10-2007, 04:15 AM   #21
Jamme
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Jamme

Hello,
I just found the Machine Tools section.
I'm already active in the Car Modelling Section.(Jamme)
I already have a Proxxon MF70 Mill. (didn't do so much with it........)

I remade the nuts for the wheels of a 512S coda Longa from MFH. The kit's ones are in White Metal, and no really correct.
The turning job was made with the stuff attached in my Proxxon drill and made with files.......(Really long job....)
Anyway, I now have ordered a Proxxon PD230/E lathe with the accessories.
I can't wait to receive it.
Thank you guys for starting this section.
I'm quite shure it will learn me so much about machining.

Cheers,

Jamme
Old 11-10-2007, 05:47 AM   #22
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Hi JM, welcome aboard. I think you done a great choice for the lathe, I know few guys that own or use those (one is our Capi76) and they're happy. It seems more accurate than my chinese stuff.

I own too the MF70, didn't used so much since the little proxxon rotating table is a piece of sh#t, I purchased one much better but is a bit tall for the little Z run the mill have..
Now I'm switching the MF70 to a little CNC mill: it's seems a cheap way to do little stuff, I'll say something more soon
Old 11-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #23
Torontos10man
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Torontos10man

I'm Bill, and I've recently taken the plunge and bought a small metal lathe. I've never used one before, so my learing curve is pretty much straight up at the moment!

Most of what I've done so far is small stuff, getting the feel for the tool and what it can do. Here are a couple of things I've managed to make.

Magneto:

Coil-over shock unit:

I'm really looking forward to learning a lot from the extremely talented individuals here. Bill

Last edited by Torontos10man; 11-16-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Torontos10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #24
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Hi Bill, welcome to AF! Looks like you've come to the right place.

For just starting off, you certainly look like you're picking it up.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
metalmaniac
AF Newbie

Hi too you all, my name is Mats and i live in a small town in Sweden.
Born in the mid-50:s and builds mostly trad. custom-hot rods-musclecarkits.

Been building modelcars since early 70:s and also worked a lot with milling machines and lathes.
Bought a Emco Unimat 3 in the early 90:s equipped with milling column and at the same time I got hold of an older Emco with lots of accessories.
Kept what I believed could be useful and sold the old one.

Here's some pic's of the things I've done, all in 1/25 scale.
(click on pic's to get them bigger)

Thoug I worked many years with machining you'll never get fully learned and I already got some useful tips on the forum and if I can help someone,
thats just a bonus.
I read and understand english rather good(technical terms can sometimes be a small problem) but its much more difficult to write in a foreign language, hope you understood most of it.
metalmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #26
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Welcome aboard Mats. You've done some really nice work there and I'd love to see some more! opcorn:

Will pick your brains soon over some pieces that I've got to make if that's OK?!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #27
nobuddie
AF Newbie

good to see you guys making parts. I usually make replacement parts for what ever I can't find. Car, lawnmower. Any project. nobuddie
Old 12-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #28
metalmaniac
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinqster
Welcome aboard Mats. You've done some really nice work there and I'd love to see some more! opcorn:

Will pick your brains soon over some pieces that I've got to make if that's OK?!
Thank's for the welcome and pick as much as you want, I dont guarantee that
I can answer but I'll certainly give it a try.
metalmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #29
DarrenGR
AF Newbie

Hi All,

My name is Darren, and I'm pretty much a lurker here - or at least will be until I can get to finish a project a get pics taken. I've been modelling on and off ever way way back, when I built mostly armour and aeroplanes, which got hung from the ceiling with thread. I spent some time later with the Citadel metal figures and more recently the Warhammer figures and machines.

However, all through that time I've played and built kits, though not to the degree of you guys on here - you're all a real inspiration and something to shoot for! The only machining work I did was at school (20 years ago!) when I bit a bit of lathe work.

I bought a secondhand Unimat DB lathe and Milling attachment, but I have yet to have a good do on it.

I have started a build of the Airfix 1/12 Blower Bentley. which I will be improving (or rather I hope so!) with lots of bits and pieces.

Looking forward to increasing my knowledge and skill with the help of you guys!

Cheers

Darren
DarrenGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:41 AM   #30
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

Great to "see" some new guys on board, WELCOME!!!
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Machine Tools