Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
dorlow
AF Regular

1999 Dodge Ram battery dying constantly

So, about 6 months ago, I bought a 1999 Dodge Ram just to keep around the house to do odd and ends jobs. Not a daily driver. I might have a need for it every few months. Well, a few months ago, I went to start it and the battery was dead. I have a battery charger that tests the battery. It said the battery was bad. So, I bought a new battery. A few days ago, I went to start it... again with the new battery, it was dead. Put the charger on it and it said again that there was a shorted cell in it. So, I returned that one under warranty. Now went to start it, dead again (a week later.) So, I guess it's obvious it's not a bad battery (or at least the bad batteries are a cause of something else wrong.) I'm guessing there's a slow drain somewhere in the truck. Any ideas how to find it?

Oh, and I don't know if this has anything to do with it... Ever since I've owned it, every once in a while when driving the truck, all the gauges on the dash go to 0. Then it will just randomly start working again. Don't know if that has anything to do with the battery dying problem.
dorlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Chris Stewart
AF - Advisor

Re: 1999 Dodge Ram battery dying constantly

Youtube videos show lots of ways to find what's pulling your battery down.

I like this one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__DqK90IIc

"Cornbread Red", 2001 Dodge 2500,4X4,HO Cummins Diesel,QC,SWB,6spd.,Banks boost&pyro,US Gage fuel press.,Edge Drag Comp,4"exh.,cowl hood, bhaf, black Holley pump, 140gph...13psi WOT, Vulcan Big Line, kevlar/ceramic single disc clutch, cheapo fuel cooler, 8x.010" vco injector nozzles, Cat turbo 62-65-.70A/R, 497hp 1089 tq 8/25/14

Time to turn so's you don't burn.
Chris Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
the61
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 Dodge Ram battery dying constantly

I had to replace my ignition key. it would pull out no matter where it was and I replaced both the ignition switch and the key cylinder. it costs about 30 bucks each. It ended the never knowing if I need the charger for the dead battery crap.
That thing would set for 3 weeks and start right up then some days it would be dead the next morning drove me nuts.
the61 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10