Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Aston Martin > DB Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
993cc
AF Regular

Vanquish made obsolete by DB9

OK with the new DB9 available why would anyone want to spend the extra amount of cash on a Vanquish

They both use the same engine and have more or less the same performance. Or maybe it's all about snob-value with the Vanquish being more scarce
993cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #2
atticusfinch
AF Regular

Re: Vanquish made obsolete by DB9

Is the Ferrari 575 obsolete because the 612 came out?
atticusfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
LovinSL600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993cc
OK with the new DB9 available why would anyone want to spend the extra amount of cash on a Vanquish

They both use the same engine and have more or less the same performance. Or maybe it's all about snob-value with the Vanquish being more scarce
The new Vanquish S does not have the same performance as the DB9. The horsepower is raised up to 520 and the body style of the Vanquish is far superior to that of the DB9.

With the new DB9, the Ford Mustang may be the only car to become instinct, thats about it.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:58 PM   #4
993cc
AF Regular

What are you talking about? In the 575 and 612 case we have two completely different designs one a 2-seater the other a 2+2 that also COST ABOUT THE SAME!
Have you put a DB9 and a Vanquish next to each other? The only visible difference is the extra pair of lights on the Vanquish! The S? I'm not talking about the Vanquish S... that model can be justified but last time I checked the standard Vanquish was still available. The standard Vanquish and the DB9 look almost identical and have the same V12 6.0Lt 460hp engine and the same performance except for top speed (thats because of different gearing on the Vanquish). Yet the Vanquish costs almost 50% MORE! Can anyone give me a decent explanation?

...and I don't get that last comment about the Mustang (of all things) If I got this straight somebody just said that the DB9 is pitched against the $25000 Mustang? hilarious stuff

But don't get me wrong I love all Astons I'm just curious for an explanation.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #5
MITSU-EVO
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to MITSU-EVO
Re: Re: Vanquish made obsolete by DB9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
The new Vanquish S does not have the same performance as the DB9. The horsepower is raised up to 520 and the body style of the Vanquish is far superior to that of the DB9.

With the new DB9, the Ford Mustang may be the only car to become instinct, thats about it.
I disagree with the looks of the Vanq being superior to that of the DB); both are gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous looking cars.

And I could not really get ur point when you compared the DB) to the MUSTANG...

I DIG EXOTICS!!!
MITSU-EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #6
LovinSL600

Quote:
What are you talking about? In the 575 and 612 case we have two completely different designs one a 2-seater the other a 2+2 that also COST ABOUT THE SAME!
Have you put a DB9 and a Vanquish next to each other? The only visible difference is the extra pair of lights on the Vanquish! The S? I'm not talking about the Vanquish S... that model can be justified but last time I checked the standard Vanquish was still available. The standard Vanquish and the DB9 look almost identical and have the same V12 6.0Lt 460hp engine and the same performance except for top speed (thats because of different gearing on the Vanquish). Yet the Vanquish costs almost 50% MORE! Can anyone give me a decent explanation?

...and I don't get that last comment about the Mustang (of all things) If I got this straight somebody just said that the DB9 is pitched against the $25000 Mustang? hilarious stuff

But don't get me wrong I love all Astons I'm just curious for an explanation.
First of all if you ordered a new Vanquish today you could only get the S.

Secondly, with all due repect to you, if you put the Vanquish and the DB9 next to each other and you think they look the same, then it is time for you to visit your eye doctor.

They are not even close. The Vanquish is far superior to the DB9 and looks nothing like the DB9. The DB9 is full of straight lines and has very little curves. The Vanquish is full of curves. Just look at and compare the lines on the hood and over the wheel wells and the doors.

I am blown away that you coud think these two cars look alike.

Finally, my statment about the Mustang had no reality here. I was just trying to make a sarcastic and funny remark.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:32 PM   #7
993cc
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinSL600
First of all if you ordered a new Vanquish today you could only get the S.

Secondly, with all due repect to you, if you put the Vanquish and the DB9 next to each other and you think they look the same, then it is time for you to visit your eye doctor.

They are not even close. The Vanquish is far superior to the DB9 and looks nothing like the DB9. The DB9 is full of straight lines and has very little curves. The Vanquish is full of curves. Just look at and compare the lines on the hood and over the wheel wells and the doors.

I am blown away that you coud think these two cars look alike.

Finally, my statment about the Mustang had no reality here. I was just trying to make a sarcastic and funny remark.
They're not even close? Are you kidding me or something?? The Vanquish S stands out because of the body-kit yes! But not the standard Vanquish! And if as you say Aston Martin discontinued it, they seem to agree with my argument that it became obsolete!
Old 12-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #8
LovinSL600

Re: Re: Re: Vanquish made obsolete by DB9

Quote:
They're not even close? Are you kidding me or something?? The Vanquish S stands out because of the body-kit yes! But not the standard Vanquish! And if as you say Aston Martin discontinued it, they seem to agree with my argument that it became obsolete!
I am really sorry here but you have no idea what you are talking about. The Vanquish and the Vanquish S which replaced the Vanquish have the exact same body with one slight exception. That exception is the little fin they put on the back of the end to ensure that the car stays on the ground at the higher speeds due to the increased horsepower and top end speed. Other than that there is only one difference between the Vanquish and the Vanquish S and that is the engine.

You have no idea of what you are talking about. The reason they kicked up the horsepower on the Vanquish S is because they wanted to make sure that it outperformed the DB9 which had a very strong engine. They increased the horspower to 520 and increased the top speed. As a result it was necessary to put the little fin on the back of the car to keep the car on the road at the top end speeds.

But, the body styles of the Vanquish and the Vanquish S, I repeat, are exactly alike with the small exception of the fin which was necessary as a result of the increased top end speed.

Please get your facts straight. If you think the DB9 has any chance of making the Vanquish S obsolete you are sadly mistaken and just wrong.

Side by side, the Vanquish S is far superior to the DB9 and if you can't see that let me recommend an eye doctor for you.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #9
993cc
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Vanquish made obsolete by DB9

I don't know how can someone miss the deep front spoiler under the front bumper on the ''S''

To end this argument
go here: http://www.astonmartin.com/thecars

there's a pic with the DB9 and the Vanquish running side by side. Please everyone check out how these two cars look ''completely different''!!!!!!! (not!)

The DB9 looks like a facelifted Vanquish as is common practice of Aston Martin for decades (see DB4/5/6: only big changes *appearance- wise* were headlights and rear window treatment) .... and where do I say the ''S'' is obsolete! Huh? Excuse me? READ AGAIN !

And anyway, since Aston Martin **themselves** agreed with my original post and the title of this thread by replacing the standard car with the Vanquish S I don't see the point in continuing this!
Old 12-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #10
LovinSL600

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vanquish made obsolete by DB9

Quote:
I don't know how can someone miss the deep front spoiler under the front bumper on the ''S''

To end this argument
go here: http://www.astonmartin.com/thecars

there's a pic with the DB9 and the Vanquish running side by side. Please everyone check out how these two cars look ''completely different''!!!!!!! (not!)

The DB9 looks like a facelifted Vanquish as is common practice of Aston Martin for decades (see DB4/5/6: only big changes *appearance- wise* were headlights and rear window treatment) .... and where do I say the ''S'' is obsolete! Huh? Excuse me? READ AGAIN !

And anyway, since Aston Martin **themselves** agreed with my original post and the title of this thread by replacing the standard car with the Vanquish S I don't see the point in continuing this!
I agree there is no sense in continuing this but I just need to tell you, pictures aside, I have seen in person the two cars, side by side and while there may be some similarities, the things like the curves over the wheel wells, the door and the hood, in person, make the car completely different looking.

I can't argue that they do have some similarities.

Thanks for the positive response to my post. I probably didn't deserve it.

Again, thanks.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:42 PM   #11
993cc
AF Regular

Well thank YOU!

The point I was trying to make was that if I had just recently bought a Vanquish (itself a new model less than 2 years in production!) I would be going like this that I just paid a massive 60% more to get basically the same engine and performance in what is essentially the same basic shape even if I take your word that pictures don't show the differences!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:44 PM   #12
atticusfinch
AF Regular

The Vanquish and the DB9 are very different cars. If you can't see the difference from the outside then that's your problem. DRIVE ONE! You will see how very different they are instantly and why the Vanquish is the superior machine.
atticusfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:00 AM   #13
993cc
AF Regular

Well, since you've driven both cars and I haven't I would be interested in hearing your opinion on how they rate.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:22 AM   #14
MITSU-EVO
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to MITSU-EVO

[quote=LovinSL600]First of all if you ordered a new Vanquish today you could only get the S.QUOTE]

Just a minor correction, you can still order the standard V12 Vanquish, as well as the S. So he has a point over there.

I DIG EXOTICS!!!
MITSU-EVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #15
Sloopy
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well, since you've driven both cars and I haven't I would be interested in hearing your opinion on how they rate.
I have driven both and can tell you there is little difference. I have not driven S or a Vanquish with handling upgrade.

The deference in looks is a taste issue. The Vanquish S does have a different front end from standard Vanquish (I can’t tell the difference) the front lip, and increased spoiler in the back. Side-by-Side standard and S is hard to tell apart. The S is also lower, has stiffer springs and shocks, better brakes, and greatly revised steering.

The Vanquish looks meaner due to increased bulges on fenders. I kind of prefer the DB9, which I own.

From a driving point I prefer the DB9 transmission, as it is user friendly in traffic and parking. On the road the DB9 feels more agile than the standard Vanquish. I have heard that the S feels more agile than the DB9.

The Vanquish has a nicer sound when your listening to the engine, but the DB9 has two distinct characters, which I really like. Slow to the speed of traffic in the DB9, turn on the optional 900W surround sound and you can loose yourself in the luxury.

At this point I wouldn’t personally pay the difference for the Vanquish S for I feel the DB9 is a better car. I also wouldn’t fault anyone who went with the S.

I will be interested when they upgrade the Vanquish on the new VH platform. Then I might have some interest. I also think that the new double clutch transmissions will be the way of the future for high performance cars and wouldn’t be surprised if this will be on the revised Vanquish when it comes out.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Aston Martin > DB Series