Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 12:19 AM   #46
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: which Z would you pick z32tt vs 350z

i'm guessing they are using superchargers more because it is easier to slap a s/c on a car than a turbocharger. i much rather have snail's sitting in my car.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:49 AM   #47
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

I dunno...I wonder how much easier it is, really...if any...I'd never opt for an S/C over a turbo...

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 02:38 AM   #48
RX_speed
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to RX_speed
the IS300 is the sportiest thing toyota has

they really should sell the silvia here
Old 08-22-2004, 02:53 AM   #49
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
yeah i agree...i think the silvia would be huge over here. it offers a very sporty package for a very low price...think about it would match up great. u have the maxima vs. 350z, luxury vs. sporty. you have the regular sentra vs. spec v. but then u have nothing to match up with the altima...thats where silvia comes in. thats not even including the luxury that is received with infiniti.

i am also one to think that toyota is going to come back with something...after the success with the supra and the name that it gave toyota, i cant see them giving all that up. in my mind they arent as good a company as they used to be because most of there cars are just ass ugly. corolla, prius, echo, new camrys arent attractive to me. i dont even care for the looks of the new lexus cars. but if they came oout with a very sexy but very powerful new supra or just some sporty car i would like it very much. just keep them in the mix of things.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #50
Broke_as_****
AF Enthusiast

Well I will say that they are selling the hell out of those ugly ass cars. Last time I heard you still couldn't get an Echo or Prius, back ordered to the moon. And sports cars aren't real big money makers for the cost they take to develope and support. Trying to build a sports car from scratch is very expensive and you are heading into a brutally competative market. For the relatively small numbers they sold, I can't imagine Z32s made Nissan much money. The S13s, 14s and to a lesser extent the 15s did, but thats because the Silvias and 180sxs (240SX coupes and fastbacks) were not hard edged sports cars.
Taking your average small sedan and building two or three different cars out of it is a good money maker though.

Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.
Broke_as_**** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:51 AM   #51
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

we have to admit, money is the most important things to car companies. if something isn't going to make them money, they won't sell it. but i still say that quite a few people would buy a sports car from toyota if they offer it.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
Old 08-22-2004, 12:13 PM   #52
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_****
The original Datsun Zs were all about affordable daily driving fun.

The Z33 is more of the daily driver, especially a loaded up base model or touring setup. I know this is going to cause problems, but the "track" tuned Z33 is more cosmetic then performance. Really, go drive one, they handle great and the power is there but its just not up to what a moderately tuned Z32 TT can do.
The Z33 is going back to those 'affordable daily driver' roots. Track model or not, it really shouldn't be compared to the Z32, especially a modded one( ) in such a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivetheZ
Turbos have always been a staple for Z cars...
Not really. We had two iterations of the Z and were midway through the third before turbocharging was even introduced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
that would be awesome. i say like a 380zx. 4.0L is getting too big to be a v-6. that also might be why nissan didn't offer a tt with the 350z. they can't keep on getting higher and higher on displacement, so they have to have some way to keep getting power increases. z cars should only have 6-cylinders.
There will be a VQ40DE soon, in the '05 Frontier and Pathfinder, but it's really tuned for a truck application. By forgoing forced induction, Nissan was trying to keep things simple with the 350Z, returning to its roots in the 240Z.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke_as_****
Well to go back a few posts, I don't think you could use the RB anymore due to emissions and due the fact that I doubt there is any tooling around for them anymore. And let us not forget that the RB block was originally a 2.0 liter. I'm sure Nissan would have made the GT-Rs a full 3.0 liters to fit in with the rest of the top running crowd but I doubt the block could be bored any more and still have its bullet proof reputation, if it could be bored at all.
Quote:
I didn't mean LITERALLY use a 3.0 RB...I mean a "new" RB or something to that effect. I just don't understand how they could completely shelve one of the best engines ever developed for no evident reason other than they want to try something new. Don't fix it if it's not broken, right?
Quote:
The "V6 vs. I6 vs. V8" debate pertaining to the GT-R and future Z cars can go on for ever. The V8 wouldn't add that much more weight, so you can't really say that. *I* would like to see some form of the RB26DETT in the next GT-R...maybe an RB30DETT or something like that, but I've heard it's going to get an 8. I prefer 6 cylinders...inline, over all.
As was mentioned earlier, the RB-series I6 was discontinued due to tightening emissions regulations. It would have cost Nissan quite a bit to clean that engine family up. It would cost even more to develop and build a new engine. That's why Nissan's planning on using the VQ in place of the RB.

The VQ is really superior to the RB in most areas, possibly with the exception of being inherently balanced. It can be used effectively in NA or FI form, and can be expanded to much larger displacements. Those larger displacements also mean more torque, and higher output levels with less stress on the engine. Being an aluminum block motor, the VQ is also lighter by up to 200lbs.

The VK V8 is't that bad, either. At only 520lbs or so, it might actually weigh less than the RBs, too. Since the VK is related to the VQ, the same benfits apply, but with even greater engine capacity and power potential.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #53
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Listen to the man, boys....

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #54
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Oh, I almost forgot. I'd prefer a Z33 for the balanced chassis. The exhaust note is nice, too. I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but you'd get a warranty with the Z33 as well.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:30 PM   #55
JCCR
AF Enthusiast

how about some of the new cars that have two engines electric and fuel. the car market is shooting to revolutionize the hole car industry. whats gonna happend to cars with all that horse power
JCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:46 AM   #56
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQuick
Not really. We had two iterations of the Z and were midway through the third before turbocharging was even introduced.
What I mean by saying that turbos were the staple was that never has a Z been made with a S/C. It was always N/A or Turbo.

My parents used to nag me to get a new car with a warranty. A warranty isn't a very good reason to buy a car. I'd rather buy a good, quality car that I know how to work on than buy a Kia with a warranty or something...cuz...in all honesty...I'd rather not let anyone else mess with my car(s). The only reason I have a shop work on my car for what I do is because I simply don't have the means to do some things.

As far as I'm concerned, new cars are far too expensive. There are only a couple that I would willingly pay for...and definately NOT for the warranty.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:53 AM   #57
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: which Z would you pick z32tt vs 350z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCR
how about some of the new cars that have two engines electric and fuel. the car market is shooting to revolutionize the hole car industry. whats gonna happend to cars with all that horse power
The GT-R will be something like that. Rather than the ATTESA-ETS/PRO awd system used in the past, it is supposed to have Nissan's newer E-4wd system. This system uses motors placed on the drive wheels rather than a driveshaft, and has already been used in other Nissan vehicles such as the Cube. The E-4wd will save some weight, and is supposed to be even more precise than ATTESA.

The GT-R's E-4wd will also have it's own power source in the form of a lithium battery, which will also provide the assistance for the turbos.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #58
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
so they are using turbos on the new GT-R instead of keeping it N/A? or was that just a hunch?
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:00 PM   #59
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

No... The Japanese will most likely get a TT V6 while we Gai-Jin get an NA V8... that's probaly how it's gonna go. Nissan is weird about which motors we Americans get... You would be surprised by Nissan's Japanese motor choices! They get all the cool options!

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:52 PM   #60
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

i don't know, i have heard that a usdm vg30de(tt) is better than the jdm vg30de(tt).

ZedEx Crew Member #2

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)