Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Murano | FX45
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
britsterm
AF Newbie

Exclamation Lousy FM radio reception

I just bought a new 2004, fully loaded with the Bose six disk CD player/radio. I love the vehicle, my gas mileage so far is about 20mpg, but I only have 500 miles.

My big disappointment is the FM radio reception...it is bad, and very intermitten...I only live about 25 miles outside of NYC in Warren, NJ. Anyone else have this problem, or any ideas how it can be improved? Thanks.
britsterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Shortbus
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus
Re: Lousy FM radio reception

There is a tech bulletin out for this it is ntb03-059 ask your Nissan dealer about it.
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #3
Bad_Bird'99
AF Newbie

While this may seem obvious, but here's my solution. I'm not sure if you've tryed this yet or not, but my mom just bought one of these last night and the FM reception was awful, but today I was thinking about it, and what I did was flip the antenna up. My parents didn't even notice it flipped straight up. I know it seems obvious but incase you haven't tryed it, try it.... it worked great. Hope this helps ya.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
wildfire13
AF Newbie

I have a 2004 Murano SL AWD with the BOSE stereo. I live about 40 miles west outside Chicago IL. The Radio reception in HORRIBLE. I just had a new radio put in on Wednesday and it is really not any better. I sat in one in the showroom while I was waiting and that radio sounded like CRAP as well. My Honda Civic radio reception is far superior. Tried playing with the antenna as well. Makes it a little better but overall it is very poor.
wildfire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
bkelner
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Lousy FM radio reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus@AF
There is a tech bulletin out for this it is ntb03-059 ask your Nissan dealer about it.
Has anyone check this out yet?

I'm ready to solder a wire from the attena to my roof rack
bkelner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
wildfire13
AF Newbie

I have had the radio replaced the tech bulletin where they tighten the bolt that holds the mast to the roof and the feeder cable replaced. All with minimal success. I spoke to another guy at another Nissan dealer and he said Nissan was working on a recall. The only thing we can do is wait or buy an aftermarket signal boosterwhich may or may not help.

By the way now my center console rattles from being taken apart and put back together multiple times and I CANNOT TURN UP THE RADIO NOT TO HEAR IT BECAUSE IT SOUNDS WORSE THAN THE RATTLE.

Boy this was the last thing I thought would be a problem, it is almost 2005 for goodness sake.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:14 PM   #7
bkelner
AF Newbie

I am taking my 2003 into the dealer next week. Based on what I have read here, it sounds like a hopeless cause.

When is someone at Nissan American, going to stand up and get this broken radio fixed?

A $34,000 car and a radio that is an embarrasment!

Grrrrrrrrrrr
bkelner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #8
wildfire13
AF Newbie

Bad radio reception

I just found this article about car radio tuners. Here is an excerpt about boosters:

As we discussed above, purchasing a tuner by the specs alone is not a good idea. And last week someone asked, "Dave, where have all the FM Boosters gone? We used to see them hanging at auto parts stores, Radio Shacks, and car audio shops everywhere. With a good booster, any tuner will work great. Right?"

Engineers have always squirmed at the idea of adding a radio frequency amplifier between the antenna and the tuner. FM signal boosters typically cause severe "Front-End Overload" in the majority of car audio tuners. If an inexpensive booster could really increase the signal level without increasing the adjacent channel noise, sales might be strong today. So in your search for a tuner, forget about FM Boosters, they won't help. After all, if a booster could really help, wouldn't the tuner manufacturers simply add one to their decks?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #9
wildfire13
AF Newbie

Learn about FM

http://www.carsound.com/columns/navone/nav0004.shtml

Here is the link to the whole article. It will not help our situation but will help us understand it better if that matters to you.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 AM   #10
Wild Hare Ranch
AF Newbie

Our 2005 Murano has the Bose 225 watt system. I would'nt call it horrible reception but it's slightly worse than our 2001 Chrysler T&C we traded. Our 1999 minivan had a very nice Infinity system in it with very good reception. But nothing we owned beats my old 1986 Mazda P/U's reception. The closest to it was an aftermarket am/fm cheapo from Wally World I put in our 1986 Ford 4x4 Heavy Half P/U. I can't recall the brand though.
I've been told that all the remote control frequencies and digital controls of todays cars challenge the radio reception. I need to do more research before I buy that argument.

Jeff
Wild Hare Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #11
startupguyl
AF Newbie

I have a 2005 Murano SL AWD w/Bose and also have been very disappointed with FM reception from day one (18 months ago). For the last 30+ years, I have lived about 35 miles west of Boston (a MAJOR FM market) and the Murano, while my 5th Nissan vehicle in 15 years (with some other makes in between), has the lousiest FM reception I've ever encountered. The dealer has replaced the antenna, the antenna cable, and even the entire Bose (radio/tape/CD) unit (twice) - all to no avail. I've tried different antenna positions, too: vertical, forward, rearward, & in between - also to no avail. On top of that, I play my iPod through a "Monster Cable" FM transmitter (on a truly 'dead' FM station for my area) and even that sometimes experiences "skipping" and noise - and that transmitter, tho' admittedly "low-power", is only about 24 inches from the antenna (in my console)! Does anyone out there have any knowledge of (or experience with) any after-market replacement antennas that will fit the Murano antenna's base?
startupguyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
startupguyl
AF Newbie

I have a 2005 Murano SL AWD w/Bose and also have been very disappointed with FM reception from day one (18 months ago). For the last 30+ years, I have lived about 35 miles west of Boston (a MAJOR FM market) and the Murano, while my 5th Nissan vehicle in 15 years (with some other makes in between), has the lousiest FM reception I've ever encountered. The dealer has replaced the antenna, the antenna cable, and even the entire Bose (radio/tape/CD) unit (twice) - all to no avail. I've tried different antenna positions, too: vertical, forward, rearward, & in between - also to no avail. On top of that, I play my iPod through a "Monster Cable" FM transmitter (on a truly 'dead' FM station for my area) and even that sometimes experiences "skipping" and noise - and that transmitter, tho' admittedly "low-power", is only about 24 inches from the antenna (in my console)! Does anyone out there have any knowledge of (or experience with) any after-market replacement antennas that will fit the Murano antenna's base? I LOVE the Murano (had 3 Maximas and a Pathfinder before this) but this FM problem is turning me off to the whole line!
startupguyl is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Murano | FX45