Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
m300zx
AF Newbie

gas fume

i have a 300zx 91 automatic everyday when i start the car smell gas sometimes last all day, i check the fuel lines under the hood and the fuel filter and looks fine. can someone help me?
m300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
probehtr300
AF Enthusiast

Re: gas fume

whats the temp. like in your area, thats been know to happen when cold temps. make lines shrink and leak but not when its warm. thats probably not it but its worth asking.

Past Z Car Crew

-josh
probehtr300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 12:06 AM   #3
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

try looking under your tank , tank straps , lines from and to tank...

i know alot of tanks like to rust underneath the tank straps and leak thats what happened on my z31...

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #4
RB25DETZ
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RB25DETZ

look at your EVAP. look for leaks, holes, ot hoses that are night on it. I know my Z can smell light gas on a hot day because I don't have EVAP on it
Old 07-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
m300zx
AF Newbie

the temperature here is around 70's, m from long island n.y.
m going to check under the tank thanks.

another problem a have is the car start cheking a lot, when i waiting in a traffic light moves like massage chair and the lights from the dash blinks. and the motor sound like is going a die and a soons give gas runs good. any idea. i have one of those aftermarket air filter and the fuel filter is like 4 months old.
m300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by m300zx
the temperature here is around 70's, m from long island n.y.
m going to check under the tank thanks.

another problem a have is the car start cheking a lot, when i waiting in a traffic light moves like massage chair and the lights from the dash blinks. and the motor sound like is going a die and a soons give gas runs good. any idea. i have one of those aftermarket air filter and the fuel filter is like 4 months old.
might be time for a complete tune-up...when were the spark plugs last changed???

as for the fuel smell...you have to have a fuel leak somewhere. follow all fuel lines from the tank to the engine bay. make sure there are no leaks...

do you have testpipes or the stock cats???
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:47 AM   #7
MikeMan
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to MikeMan

You have an injector leak. Do NOT start the car again because there is a real possibility of having an engine fire which is going to cause a great deal of damage. You'll have to either take it to a mechanic to get him to change the injector, or you're going to have to take the intake manifold off and look for yourself. If you want to do it yourself, have a fire extinguisher handy because the last thing you want is an engine fire.

I had the exact same symptoms when i first got my z31 and I just ignored them. Turned it on one day and smoke was coming out of the bonnet. Opened it and by the time i got some water (also a bad idea for a petrol fire) it had burnt through all the injector wires, the ignition wires and several sensors. Cost over $1k to get it all fixed and back on the road again. Don't get complacent about this.

-Mike
MikeMan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)