Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 05:37 PM   #76
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mikegee
well this is a lil off the topic but i do have a point. in the early 80s there was a comparison between a datsun pick up with a four banger and dodge ram with a v6. the dodge ram had more power then the datsun but the datsun still towed more weight had better fuel economy.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:54 PM   #77
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

Re: There really is no point to this.

And that means what mike? Less displacement makes more tourqe?
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Flowmaster AT 2 Chamber Cat-Back
Eibach Pro-Kit
Tokico Illuminas 5-way Shocks/Struts
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Nitto 275/45 Drag Radials
Bullit Intake

Waiting to Install : NX 100 Wet Shot
Old 02-20-2004, 01:16 PM   #78
Jared_80
Banned

Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrow03GT
Umm, I dont slow down for turns?? And I have awsome braking...and I have no lag on power either.
Sorry the Japs make the best breaking sportscars Evo does 60-0 in 106ft much better than any Stang. And that lag in power that I was talking about is for the turbo imports.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #79
Jared_80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965PontiacGTO
first of all, I know all the cars you are talking about, R390, GT-one, nsx etc.(to be honest the best look I've had at a GT1 is from Gran Turismo 3)
second the GTO is 6.5 not 5.7, the new GTO is 5.7.
third how much hp does your 2.0 make?, I guarantee that the engine on my 69' makes plenty more.
forth I agree with you that the R390 is a beautiful automobile and that japanese cars aren't without, their charms, but you have to admit the GT-one looks a little wierd doesn't it? I'm not like those bloody idiots you are refering to, I have had conversations with them and they don't know what the hell they're talking about. That is funny that they think they have v-4's, isn't it. back to subject no matter how much it seems like I am, I'm not trying to offend you, im sorry if i did.

I used the 5.7 comparison because people usualy caompare the Camaro to the Evo I have never riden in a 60s GTO so I cannot campare with those. Don't worry it takes alot to really offend me, it's all good. I love talking with those ricer idiots, they make me feel smarter every time I write them, "I'm gaanna slap a cld ar intke on mi civk and smok your muzteng". It is like arguing in the retard community just with alot more cussing.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #80
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_80
Sorry the Japs make the best breaking sportscars Evo does 60-0 in 106ft much better than any Stang. And that lag in power that I was talking about is for the turbo imports.
Jared, put the magazines down please. My stang hadled and brakes like a champ, straight from the factory. With a simple spring/shock settup I have now, I can out corner almost anything on the road. Its MORE than enough cornering/braking ability that I will EVER use on the street. I dont autox so I really dont care if there is a jap car somewhere that can slalom, .05 g's better than my car. It makes no difference. Because fact is I have a better all around package, I have all the handling & braking I can possibly use, plus I have mounds of tourque, and a low 13 second car. (easily high 12 sec, with the proper suspension settup). And my car sounds good while doing it. And like I told you in the beggining, go out there and see for yourself, stop reading magazines, their #s are skewed to hell. I get my #s from the track.

I also like how you generalize "jap cars are better in blah blah...", fact is most jap cars are NOT better performance in anything. There is a couple out of the slew of under achievers, that are descent and they cost $30,000+. I paid 21K for my car, find me a Jap car to contend with me on my price level please.
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Eibach Pro-Kit
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Bullit Intake

Old 02-21-2004, 10:57 AM   #81
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

[quote=skrow03GT]And that means what mike? Less displacement makes more tourqe? :eek7

nope my point is there is replacement for displacement
Old 02-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #82
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

[quote=mikegee]
Quote:
And that means what mike? Less displacement makes more tourqe? :eek7

nope my point is there is replacement for displacement
Ok, youre comparing a 4cyl datsun truck, and a 6cyl dodge truck in the 80s??? The only way I see this possible is if the datsun truck was a small light truck, and the dodge was a big heavy truck. That sais nothing about engine displacement, you even stated the v6 made more hp/tq. Plus, where did you get this information?

The only thing that can help smaller displacement is a power adder, which can also be added to the higher displacement, so in essence, no...there is no replacement for displacement.
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Eibach Pro-Kit
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Bullit Intake

Old 02-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #83
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

Quote:
Ok, youre comparing a 4cyl datsun truck, and a 6cyl dodge truck in the 80s??? The only way I see this possible is if the datsun truck was a small light truck, and the dodge was a big heavy truck. That sais nothing about engine displacement, you even stated the v6 made more hp/tq. Plus, where did you get this information?

The only thing that can help smaller displacement is a power adder, which can also be added to the higher displacement, so in essence, no...there is no replacement for displacement.

y not go read something before you assume someone is lieing. there was a documentary about japanese production there where motorcycles ans generators. what does size of the truck have to do with towing amount?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:51 PM   #84
skrow03GT
AF Newbie

What do you mean? Use some common sense, It has to tow its own weight first, if it weighs 4000lb compared to a lightweight 2800lb thats a big difference. Why are you comparing 2 odd trucks from the 80s? Are you trying to tell me a 4banger has better towing capacity, stop being a moron.
MAC Prochamber 2.5" HTS
Eibach Pro-Kit
X2C v2.0 UCA/LCA's
FRPP 4.10 Gears
Aluminum d/s
Steeda Tri-Ax
Steeda T/A 14*
Bullit Intake

Old 02-22-2004, 10:12 PM   #85
gigglesnirt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gigglesnirt
you guys need to get a life, your fighting over cars, i like cars a lot too, but fighting like you guys do is pathetic, its so stupid and pointless, muscle cars are fast, but they cant do shit on a circuit like japanese cars can do, so each cars have their ups and downs
Old 02-23-2004, 07:02 AM   #86
cowtnadv
AF Regular

Cool american vs jap

It all depends on how you take care of your auto! However, here's spme of my experiences since everyone is stating their opinion . . .

I had a 1984 Jeep Cherokee with a Chrysler, cast iron 4 that put 469,000 miles on it before I sold it to my dad and he put on another 89,000 before he sold it.

My Ford Explorer V8 all wheel drive has 89,000 miles on it and I have not done anything but maintanance on it and still get 19 mpg on trips and nobody passes me - I ordered the same engine that went into the Mustang Cobra that year!

I have to agree that some jap cars are better but look at their price tags and still . . . still no one makes the power cars Americans do and the sound is not the same coming out of a jap so called muscle car . . . we invented - we still claim it - go American!

Listen to American muscle car sounds at www.flowmastermufflers.com and tell me which sounds better - American or Jap?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:50 PM   #87
gigglesnirt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gigglesnirt
first thing is please dont say 'jap' why can't you just use import, or asian import, or japanese import, but jap, seems kinda racist, and comparing to sounds i like japanese cars better who would want their car to be loud as hell and give out no power like many muscle cars i've seen
Old 02-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #88
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

i like both imports and domestics. Just like the title "There really is no point to this." there really is no point to my answer, but normal ppl dont know a dang bout performance so i think joe noone will buy a $25000 05 300hp mustang gt over a 05 $30000 Lancer Evo cause of more hp for less no matter that the evo will prolly perform better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:53 AM   #89
cowtnadv
AF Regular

Oh I'm sorry I'll say Japanese like you did in the reply above me, big difference! IMPORTS have tried for years to imitate what we invented and if it was about noise then the Japanese would not have come over here in the mid 90s and paid outlandish prices for US Muscle cars!

They actually drove the prices up for a few years and many of the hot ones still retain those prices.

You want power & noise (that's a Muscle car) then you go with the good ol USA!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:12 PM   #90
acrackintheice
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to acrackintheice Send a message via Yahoo to acrackintheice
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: There really is no point to this.

I amonly making the post because I see you guys arguing about the corolla and grand prix and which is better. I have owned both. While the Grand Prix GTP had a lot more power and was more fun to drive, the reliability sucked. something was always wrong. My corolla was an '87. I never put a dime into repairs, just gas and oil. I was really sad when I wrecked the grand prix, but I really dont think it would have lasted anywhere close to the 17(and counting) years my corolla has. the grand prix was a '95. I am also going to have to agree with the people know american cars aren't as good as. Love my country and all, but I would buy a nissan or a toyota.