Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Fav. sports car?!
'Maro and 'Bird 6 37.50%
Stang 3 18.75%
Evo 5 31.25%
Duh an SUV to run over them ALL!! 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 06:55 AM   #181
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Um...Nameless Dork
Whats my post got to do with waht u said? and does anyone know how to answer a question these days!!!!!!
I'll answer your question.
There is NO such thing as muscle cars anymore. No matter how much HP. There can never be muscle cars again, it will never be the same. If you have ever ridden/drivin a true muscle car, then drove a new camaro/mustang or whatever there is no comparison. And NO 4 banger should be considered a muscle car ever! That is just rediculous. I don't care if it has 600 HP in street trim, it's not a muscle car.
Muscle cars died in the early 70's, and they cannot be remade. The only thing left is to restore them.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:10 AM   #182
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mikegee
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcatkin

The L-88 Corvette ran low 12's in the quarter mile, will your evo run 180 mph all day long like the Vette does in the road circuit, races like the Lamans where in has to keep up, why isen't it there, possibly because it can't keep up, that would be Corvettes and Ferraris that win that race usually. Lets not mention other races like the Indy 500, you don't see your beloved evo there either do you, so tell me other then ralley, where is your junk yard wonder, and as to the BMW M3, I've never been really sold on those things, I used to repair them for a living. I think BMW is just a little over bragged.

Heres a list of things to race you evo against.
#1 ZL1 Camaro 11.30 ET .97G on the slid pad.
#2 ZL1 Corvette 11.25 ET .97G On the skid pad.
#3 GTO Judge 12.50 ET N/A
#4 Buick GS Stage III 12.35 ET
#5 Z06 Vette 12.30 ET.

mitsubishi puts one car in the lemans races it uses its 3000gt. so whats ya point not it cant do 180 all day long but it will do 140 all day long how much can you expect from 278 hp. oh but this car with only 278 hp can and has ran 13.5 in the 1/4
Old 12-14-2003, 09:16 AM   #183
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
Also, the only reason that muscle cars get such bad 1/4 mile times is because there is no possible to get traction off the line, and also 100 FT down the track for that matter. You can only give about 1/4 throttle until you are going atleast 30 MPH or else it will break loose and start spinning.

Don't forget the Hemi cuda, which was rated at 425 HP but actually had 500 to the wheels!

how is this a good excuss how bout doing something bout traction. yea i know racing slick....... the beauty of all wheel drive.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:19 AM   #184
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
It's not all about speed, it's power, it's the sound of a 1969 Camaro rumbeling down the road on a hot summer day. It's looking out the front window of your car and seeing a big 8-71 GM supercharger hanging out the hood, it's knowing that you can't be beat, even if you can. It's feeling like a god when your behind the wheel of your American muscle car, it's the rumpety rump rump of a high performance cam barly ideling @ 2500 RPM. It's lifting the fornt wheels off the gruond when you leave the line, it's scoring a 9.50 in the quarter mile, it's the smell of nitro methane burning in your tank. And this is all without N2O, or NOS

hmmm nitro methane its still not pump gas.... and still whats the point of all that power if ya arnt going anywhere. but then again we can never get away from "to each his own"
Old 12-14-2003, 09:48 AM   #185
mikegee
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Quote:

The L-88 Corvette ran low 12's in the quarter mile, will your evo run 180 mph all day long like the Vette does in the road circuit, races like the Lamans where in has to keep up, why isen't it there, possibly because it can't keep up, that would be Corvettes and Ferraris that win that race usually. Lets not mention other races like the Indy 500, you don't see your beloved evo there either do you, so tell me other then ralley, where is your junk yard wonder, and as to the BMW M3, I've never been really sold on those things, I used to repair them for a living. I think BMW is just a little over bragged.

Heres a list of things to race you evo against.
#1 ZL1 Camaro 11.30 ET .97G on the slid pad.
#2 ZL1 Corvette 11.25 ET .97G On the skid pad.
#3 GTO Judge 12.50 ET N/A
#4 Buick GS Stage III 12.35 ET
#5 Z06 Vette 12.30 ET.

the evo runs mid 13s and the sti can run low 13s oh we a decently close with so less power. see my point is not who will win my point is japs put so much less power in there cars and they come close to a lot and can beat a lot. motortrend june 2003 the evo laid down a 13.08 and the ford mustand svt cobra laid down a 13.01 wow thats close. the even ran the 600 ft slalom better then a vette z06, a viper rt-10, a ferrari and better then a lambo. top speed of the evo is 156 and the svt cobra 159, wow thats close.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:27 AM   #186
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegee
how is this a good excuss how bout doing something bout traction. yea i know racing slick....... the beauty of all wheel drive.
See any AWD top fuel dragster's lately?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:34 AM   #187
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

AWD is worthless once you get into REAL HP levels, the front tires lift off the ground.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:45 PM   #188
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
I'll answer your question.
There is NO such thing as muscle cars anymore. No matter how much HP. There can never be muscle cars again, it will never be the same. If you have ever ridden/drivin a true muscle car, then drove a new camaro/mustang or whatever there is no comparison. And NO 4 banger should be considered a muscle car ever! That is just rediculous. I don't care if it has 600 HP in street trim, it's not a muscle car.
Muscle cars died in the early 70's, and they cannot be remade. The only thing left is to restore them.
Quote:
He speaks the truth
You obvously know and study what your talking about, the real muscle cars are a thing of the past, never to be reborn again. This is a very sad thing that it's gotting this bad, but with political and the leagal system it can never happen again, it's been blamed on a lot of different things, but the truth of the matter is the old days have just gone by.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:48 PM   #189
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Quote:
mitsubishi puts one car in the lemans races it uses its 3000gt. so whats ya point not it cant do 180 all day long but it will do 140 all day long how much can you expect from 278 hp. oh but this car with only 278 hp can and has ran 13.5 in the 1/4
Quote:
I won't bash the 3000 GT
That in opinion is the closest that the Japanese have come to creating a real sports/muscle type car, and I was speaking of the EVO.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:53 PM   #190
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
hmmm nitro methane its still not pump gas.... and still whats the point of all that power if ya arnt going anywhere. but then again we can never get away from "to each his own"
Quote:
No it's not
But I diden't say I ran a street car on nitro methane either, and the point of having all the power is basically just the right of any muscle car owner to modify his car to any extent he desires, and have a lot of fun out doing the next guy, it's mostly about having fun with your car. Obvously you've never looked under the hood of a car and just had to know the the owner has done to the engine and chassis of the car to make it do that.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:02 PM   #191
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Quote:
AWD is worthless once you get into REAL HP levels, the front tires lift off the ground.
Quote:
Not to mention
If you've ever owned a 4x4 with any real power, when you get all four tires spining and burning rubber the car will pull hard to the right, much the same as a full posi rear end always pulled to the right, and a single tracker went straight.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:21 PM   #192
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_80
OK lets get one thing streight, you are comparing a purpose built dragster aginst a high proformance street car. Even at that for the price of a ZL-1 Camaro you could put a WRX or an Evo into the low 11s or high 10s on streetable tires. I am not a muscle car basher like some "ricers" but I do give credit where credit is due, the Evo rocks. And consider more than just the 1/4 mile look at breaking 60-0 in 106ft! That is faster than the 360 Modena! Cornering at .97G that is a match for most supercars! 600ft slolom at over 71.6mph, that is the fastest production car that the world has ever seen! 0-30mph in .7 seconds! I don't care how you look at it that is one amazing car and you will not find a musclecar that will match it in overall proformance except for maby the new Viper (only a few even consider that a musclecar) I am not dissing anybody but you would have to be blind not to call that impressive for the amount that it costs.
Quote:
It may look like a rose
Your beloved EVO may look like a rose, but it smells like a turd. When it's had the time to prove it's self against all the good old American muscle then you can come back, and if I'm still alive we can talk. But at this time being the armchair drag racer that you are does not make you an expert on American muscle, so learn about it before you spout it. Nobody believes a word you say, because you have no real passion for the car, it all come straight out a magazine, grow some balls boy.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:30 PM   #193
PSI2HI
AF Newbie

Quote:
You set up your suspension correctly you don't have any trouble with that. Mine stay on the ground fine. And it goes straight.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:38 PM   #194
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
OK I finaly got your link to work (it took a few tries) I hate to rain on your parade but they built so few of those things that I would hardly consider them a production car. Lets try to find a muscle car that is mass produced that can take an Evo or an STi. But I would still like to see a lagit source for the 11 second times, because that would be truly impressive.
Quote:
That has no bearing
The Yenko camaro was a production car, you could buy one off the showroom floor. The fact that thay diden't build millions of them doesn't matter, the factory will do test runs of different things all the time. This doesn't mean that it's not a production car, it was produced by the factory, for sale to the public. That would make it a production car.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:58 PM   #195
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
OK I finaly got your link to work (it took a few tries) I hate to rain on your parade but they built so few of those things that I would hardly consider them a production car. Lets try to find a muscle car that is mass produced that can take an Evo or an STi. But I would still like to see a lagit source for the 11 second times, because that would be truly impressive.
Quote:
I don't know what legit means but.
http://www.cccvette.com/1969musclecars.htm

http://www.camaros.org/copo.shtml

If you actually read some of this stuff, you could be just a bit more informed on these cars.

Fortunately for Fred, all 50 of his cars were approved for production. But unlike the Nova, other Chevy dealers were watching and wanted a piece of the action. One of those dealers was Berger Chevrolet out of Grand Rapids, MI. In the end, 69 of the ZL1 Camaro's were built, with 50 going to Fred Gibb and one going to Berger Chevrolet - the #3 car. Others found a home in other dealerships like Yenko Chevrolet. Ironically, the car was a sales dud. Originally targeted at $4,900 for the sticker price, Chevrolet was determined to charge for actual production costs. In this case, the "high performance" option chosen by Gibb added a whopping $4160 to the sticker and brought the total to some $7300. This was more expensive than even the 1969 Corvette and was equivalent to paying $50,000 for a Camaro in today's dollars. Oh, and these cars ran an 11.64 @ 122 MPH

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical