Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
msmith69oldz
AF Newbie

ground strap fuel filler tube

Hello! I have a 98 Blazer 4wd about 125000 miles on it and today doing my rear brakes I noticed the ground strap from the fuel filler tube was broken. I have looked everywhere and cant find where the other end bolts to. My question is what is this ground strap for? is it going to cause issues? I believe it has been broken for some time and hasnt caused any issues thus far. Any input is greatly appreciated!
msmith69oldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: ground strap fuel filler tube

That ground strap will help remove any charge forming around the fuel filler tube. If the ground strap is missing, you have a higher chance of a static discharge igniting vapors when filling the vehicle with fuel. I would highly suggest you get the ground reconnected properly.

Additionally, the ground strap could help reduce galvanic corrosion which can be pretty significant if you live near the ocean or in an area where salt is used on the roads in the winter.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #3
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: ground strap fuel filler tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith69oldz View Post
Hello! I have a 98 Blazer 4wd about 125000 miles on it and today doing my rear brakes I noticed the ground strap from the fuel filler tube was broken. I have looked everywhere and cant find where the other end bolts to. My question is what is this ground strap for? is it going to cause issues? I believe it has been broken for some time and hasnt caused any issues thus far. Any input is greatly appreciated!
You can make one using a copper wire and two round terminal ends coat the end connections with axle grease after install.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Blazer