Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
Zephned
AF Newbie

Toyota Camry 1985 running rich, carburetor issues

My Toyota Camry 85 is having trouble idling, i fear that some of the ajustment screws on the carburetor have gone missing. I am not a car expert in any way, so i hope i can reach out to someone who is.

Attached pictures:
Right side of the engine (from the front)
The engine itself
Information about the engine
The 2 screws that i fear are missing, this is on the right side of the carburetor

Should there be 2 screws there to regulate the air/fuel mixture?
and if so, where can i get some..?

Thanks in advance

-Zephned
Zephned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Toyota Camry 1985 running rich, carburetor issues

Your mixture is not controlled by screws, but by non-adjustable jets inside the throat. Only the idle mixture is controlled by a screw. Those holes don't look like holes for an adjustment screw. Are either of the holes threaded?

When you start the car, before you turn the key, you should push the gas pedal to the floor once and then take your foot off to set the choke (flap on top of carburetor). Once the engine is started, the choke should gradually open fully and be fully open when the engine is at operating temperature. Make sure your choke is fully open when the engine is hot.

The fuel level in the carburetor bowl may be too high. This would either be a bad needle valve or a sticking/heavy float. These may be freed by spraying cleaner into the vent tube on the top of the carburetor and putting some fuel system cleaner into the gas tank. A heavy float would need to be replaced with a rebuild. This problem would have a high fuel level in the bowl and the jets would put out too much gas.

You might consider spraying the carburetor all over inside and out as best you can and see if that helps. Sometime sticking floats may be freed by gently tapping the float bowl with a screwdriver. Usually a sticking float or bad needle valve will really flood the engine with a ton of gas.

I bet your choke is not opening or you have a leak inside the carburetor. The choke may be freed by spraying the choke linkage with cleaner and working it back and forth. An internal leak requires a rebuild.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"

Last edited by Brian R.; 01-28-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
Zephned
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply! Alot of new information for me, did some reserach from what you gave me, and have since learned alot.

I do think it is the choke, it may not completely open when the car is at operating temperature, i will check the choke flap tomorrow before i start the car (with the pedal pressed in once), and after it has reached operating temperature.

both holes are threaded(should i make them airtight?)

if all else fails, i'm gonna clean it, and hope for the best.

-Zephned
Old 11-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

They look to me like mounting holes for something. Go to a Toyota dealer part department, give them your VIN, and pull up the schematic for your carburetor. See if there is something to be bolted there in some models, or if there really is an adjustment screw there. There is a good place to start. It is possible that one of those holes is a vacuum port (the one closest to the intake manifold) and is leaking since there is nothing connected to it. If so, plugging it is a good thing and will help your engine run better.

It wouldn't hurt to temporarily plug those holes and see if it helps your problem. Normally an air leak would lean out your mixture, but you never know. The carburetor metal is soft, so don't damage the threads when you plug the holes. Don't get any stuff inside the carburetor through these holes or anywhere else. There are a lot of small passages inside which are critical to keep your engine running smoothly.

Pull your spark plugs and look at the condition of the electrodes. They are a useful tool in diagnosing problems, particularly in a carbureted car. See if they are all the same or one or two are different. Search the internet for reading spark plugs and find out what they are telling you. If you are really running rich, they will all be wet and black. If they are different, you problem may not be the carburetor.

Another thing to check is your intake manifold vacuum. Pull a hose or port cover off the intake manifold under the carburetor (PCV valve line?) and see what vacuum you are getting at idle. You should get 17- 20 inches of vacuum. The needle should be steady and respond smoothly to movement of throttle.

1. Low steady needle usually indicates leaky intake gasket (replace gasket), a leaky vacuum hose, late ignition timing (check timing), or incorrect camshaft timing (check timing belt).
2. If reading is 3-8 inches low and fluctuates at that low reading suspect an intake manifold gasket leak at intake port.
3. If the needle has regular drops of about 2-4 in Hg. at a steady rate the valves are probably leaking. (Perform a compression check).
4. An irregular drop or down flick of the needle can be caused by a sticking valve or an ignition misfire.
5. A rapid vibration of about four in Hg. indicates worn valve guides.
6. Slight fluctuation of one inch Hg or so indicates ignition problems.
7. Large fluctuation perform a compression check (all the plugs removed at operating temperature). One cylinder may be a problem.
8. If needle moves slowly through a wide range check for PCV valve leaking in the line or connections.

BTW, how do you know that you are running rich?

Last edited by Brian R.; 11-20-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
Zephned
AF Newbie

It is not the choke, the choke was fully open before i tapped the gas, and closed fully after.
The holes are now plugged, and I've ordered a vacuum gauge and a compression gauge.

The plugs are all black

I've also recorded of the engine when it manages to idle, but tap the gas and it dies afterwards. The RPM rises, then goes down, but not for long.
https://youtu.be/VG18is9A6Xk

Thanks again!

-Zephned
Old 11-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Replace the plugs and see how it runs. Get NGK or DENSO plugs. Look for open ports or disconnected vacuum lines connected to the intake manifold or carburetor. Plug them or try to figure out where they are supposed to be connected to. Normally there is a vacuum hose routing diagram under and attached to the front of the hood of the car.

Spray some cleaner around the intake manifold and carburetor gaskets when it's idling. If you spray a spot which makes a difference in the sound of the engine, then you may have found the bad gasket.

See if you can get a service manual for your year and model (Library? on-line?).

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1985 , camry , carburetor , rich , toyota
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista