Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Mammal2468
AF Newbie

2002 Ford Windstar P0460

Hello,
I have a 2002 Ford Windstar throwing a P0460 code. The Engine light is on, the fuel gage doesn't work and the fuel light is on. I am trying to track down exactly what it is I need to replace. I failed emissions when I brought it to get it done because the engine light was on. What the OBD II is reading is "Fuel Level Sensor "A" Circuit". I am trying to track down what exactly it is to turn the engine light off, get the gage working again, and pass emissions. I have tried clearing the code multiple times but it always come back so I know it's not just a one time deal.

I also have another issue with the rear hatch. The light on the dash won't go off to show that there is a door open somewhere in the vehicle. I know it's the hatch because every time I open the front or rear doors, the car dings whereas, when I open the back with the engine running there is no sound played. I have tried spraying WD-40 on the lift gate latch, and nothing seems to have worked. I want to get that light to turn off as well.

Any ideas on any of this?
Thanks.
Mammal2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
phil-l
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 Ford Windstar P0460

P0460 means that the engine controller isn't able to see the signal from the fuel tank's level sensor. There's a float sensor attached to the fuel pump assembly in the tank. Either the sensor itself has failed - or there's a problem with the wiring to that sensor.

I recently replace the fuel pump in my '00 Windstar, so I'm familiar with this assembly. The fuel tank must be dropped to get access to the pump assembly - which may be required to solve your problem. If you're familiar with automotive work, dropping the tank isn't an outrageously difficult project - but it is time-consuming. Take a look at this video (which covers replacing the fuel pump assembly) so see what's involved (this video also shows pictures of the fuel pump assembly with the float arm):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlcC9RcsEOM

Note that your problem could also be caused by wiring issues. There's an electrical connector near the tank that handles all of the electrical signals that go to the fuel pump assembly. I'd start by checking it.

Regarding the rear hatch: It's probably an issue with the electrical switch associated with the rear hatch latch. Spraying WD-40 isn't likely to fix this. You'll probably have to take the hatch apart to see what's going on. Once again, start by looking at the wiring that's coming from the hatch. If it's damaged, that can cause this problem even if the latch is working fine.
phil-l is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
fuel , sensor , windstar
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar