Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
lawg8r
AF Newbie

Mustang Transmission part 2001

I opened the trans pan on a 2001 Mustang to change the at fluid and found a part rolling around. The part is plasitic, about 1.5 inch long (total), with a 1 inch stem (approx 0.25 in in diameter) attached to a 0.5 inch hemispherically shaped body with an oring around the body. The is a recess or opening at the far-end of the hemispheric body.
I looked for hours at the underside of the transmission but could not find any place where that part might fit. I also searched the net but could not identify the part. The local ford dealer needed to see the car, so they were no help.
The car has 90K mile and has no detectable transmission problems and has never had the at fluid changed until now. I performed all the service on the car.
Its my daughter's car and she is moving 1400 miles away, so any help would be greatly appreaciated.
Rudy
lawg8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
302steve
AF Newbie

Re: Mustang Transmission part 2001

hi. the object that you found in your auto transmission is a factory dust plug which is put in during assembly and you basically throw it away as its not needed. i found one in my mustang GT 5.0 auto box and threw it away . its purpose was to keep contamination out of the unit during assembly . my manual ( Haynes UK ) explains the above . steve
302steve is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
part from transmission , part in transmission pan , transmission , transmission part
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis