Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:12 AM   #1
Olympianmind
AF Newbie

1987 Mazda B2200 Need Help Unidentified Part

So my dad and I were working on my Mazda truck which broke down a couple of weeks ago. We pulled it apart and started checking all we knew. We determined all of the electrical was fine, but the starter was bad and so replaced that. The truck died while running and we are pretty sure that something got jammed in the fuel line because it was dry past a point.

I researched my trucks filter and found it very easy and confirmed the part was it and pulled it out to see the filter was pretty much clean. Also there was little fuel getting to it. We filled the tank up partially to make sure. However we came across a part that we do not know what it is. It does look a lot like the in line fuel filter on my dads 2005 Silverado. But we identified my filter and thought it wouldn't make sense to have two in a row.

All we know is that fuel is not getting past this part and we are wondering if its just a fuel filter that clogged with gunk from emptying the gas tank or if its a safety fuel shut off.

Please help, the image is liked on the bottom of this post. The disconnected fuel line was connected to my fuel filter which we pulled. Thanks

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ps6500c117.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140607.jpg (250.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Olympianmind; 06-10-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Olympianmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: 1987 Mazda B2200 Need Help Unidentified Part

your pic of the part doesn't show. to post a pic you have to post it on a different site and link it to here
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crvett69 For This Useful Post:
Olympianmind (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Olympianmind
AF Newbie

Thanks! I added a link!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

It does look like another filter. Are those wires running to it or just running beside it?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Crvett69
AF Moderator

if there are wires to it then its a very crusty fuel pump. if not its just a old filter
Old 06-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Olympianmind
AF Newbie

I am not sure if the wires are running to it but I'll be able to check later today. We thought it might also be a fuel pump but then is it normal for this truck to have two? Cause we found the primary pump up by the carburetor and that part appeared in the chiltons book. Also if it doesn't have wires to it and is just another filter then could it be removed and the one we are sure of placed on so that I can atleast get the truck to run and get it back home?
Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
Olympianmind
AF Newbie

So I did some searching and discovered most auto parts stores have 2 parts for fuel pumps on this truck Electric for "automatic" and mechanical for "manual". However my truck is an automatic and I do have a mechancial fuel pump right by the carburetor. The part that I can't identify by the gas tank does look alot like an electric fuel pump. So it must have both? I don't have the originall manual for this specific vehicle for this is why ita diffiuclt to be sure
Old 06-11-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Pretty sure the owners manual won't address what or how many fuel pumps you have. Let us know if the wires actually go to it.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
Crvett69
AF Moderator

sometimes they have a helper pump by the rear to push the fuel up to the mechanical pump. you can buy a $20 universal pump at the parts store to replace it or stick a filter in place of the old pump and see if the mechanical one will draw the fuel up
Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #10
Olympianmind
AF Newbie

The two wires do go to the same end of the part. So the conclusion is that is a in line helper pump? Yeah? Either its burned out or just dirty because little gas is getting past it. If its just clogged with dirt can it be pulled and cleaned or is it just best to replace?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #11
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

cheap replacement pumps..don't fool with it...replace..
Olympianmind (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #12
Crvett69
AF Moderator

yes, usually the stock ones are crimped together and you can buy internal parts to fix them, just replaceit with a filter or a cheap inline pump, does not need to be a high pressure pump because you have a carb, not fuel injecton
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...FRWVfgodvQYAMA
one like that will do the job and should be able to get one like it at local parts store or online
Old 06-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Olympianmind
AF Newbie

Well yesterday I picked up a Posi-Flo (610-1050) in line universal pump from napa for the truck. I pulled the old one and put it all back together. However the original mounting bolt broke due to age and being almost bonded to the frame through oxidation. I figured that wasn't such a problem because there was a second hole so I used one of the bolts from the pump kit and hooked the negative wire to the frame there slighlty above where the original was. I then spliced the positive with the wire that comes from the front (its how its designed to be done, had a heat shrink casing round the original splice, I only had tape). Despite that bring done with I turn to key the pump doesn't run and all the fuel lines are bone dry. Does the pump only run while the vehicle runs? It said self priming. I figured its do just that with only battery power. Anyways vehicle still isn't firing. Did I connect it bad? Do I need to prime myself? Thanks!
Old 06-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Have you tried starting fluid? Have you confirmed you have spark?(I know you said all electrical good) If you mean just turning the key on, no the pump won't run. You need to check if you have 12v to the pump when cranking. But check for spark first.

Edit: If you don't have a repair manual , suggest you bite the bullet. Also Autozone has repair guides online, all you have to do is signup. They are free.

Last edited by aleekat; 06-13-2014 at 03:48 PM.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
Crvett69
AF Moderator

sounds like you do not have power to the pump. you should hear it when you turn key on. and if its rusty enough and you used the frame to ground it it may need to be sanded to get a good connection. if you have a test light or voltmeter you will need to check and see if you have power when someone turns the key on. not sure if its supposed to have power all the tie when key is on or only for about 2 seconds when you turn key on till it starts up. can always run a wire from battery to it just to test and see if it fixes your problem if you don't have power to it

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter