Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
dgrier87
AF Newbie

Could I receive some input?

Hi im new to the site and my name is Devon. I in the U.S. Navy and my ship is on its way back to washington. When I get there I want to start a Chevy project. What my plan is to get a rebuilt LT1 and put it in a car. What I was hoping for is if any of you guys could tell me what are some cheap 2 door chevy there are I can do this to, I know there is the camaro but I was wondering what all my options are. Thanks you for any info.
dgrier87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Could I receive some input?

Devon,

First and foremost, thank you for serving! And, welcome back to the world!

An LT-1. Any particular reason you chose that specific engine? I ask because your money could be much better spent elsewhere, to build a potent small block. Chevrolet is not necessarily the best source for Chevrolet engines... (I know, it doesn't sound "right", but it IS "correct")

But in answer to your specific question, I'm a big "fan" of the G-body. A '78-'87 Monte Carlo or a '78-'80 Malibu would be ideal for a great street performance car at much less money than a Camaro.

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Re: Could I receive some input?

Good advice as usual from Pbody. The Malibu is a good platform for acceleration AND handling. Even in El Camino pickup form, these cars can run way better than most people would expect a big boxy sedan to perform.

You didn't say what you want the car for. If it's primarily straight-line acceleration I'd have to say look for a Vega or Monza. Several hundred pounds lighter than the Malibu, these things scream with an easy V8 transplant, but won't have the balanced handling of the bigger car.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical