Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Rilec
AF Newbie

Question Official Pace Car?

The same friend I have mentioned in my other threads also has a relative who has a '79 Mustang Indy/Official Pace Car.

My question is: What were the specs of the '79 Mustang Pace Car? Or just '79 Pace Cars in general.

Thanks.
Rilec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: Official Pace Car?

Rilec,

There was an article in Hot Rod in '79, describing the changes necessary to make the little Pony "cruise" at 120 MPH for the pace laps. Pistons, cam, heads, BIG carb and rear gears... (Roush Racing built the real car's engine) ALL the replicas were 302 2-bbls., mostly the VV-2.

In contrast, the '80 Turbo T/A had to have the tire tread "cut" 50% and remove the A/C belt. No other changes...

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Rilec
AF Newbie

Was there anything special about the Replicas' 302? Anything that would separate it from a regular 302?
Rilec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilec
Was there anything special about the Replicas' 302? Anything that would separate it from a regular 302?
Nothing at all.
I owned a late production '79 Pace Car, which was pretty rare because it was made for the Canadian market....... it had a 120 MPH speedo in place of the 85 mph american unit.

The engines were the same, ordinary 302's as used in the Ford sedans, light trucks etc for that year........ 2 bbl carb and 137 hp.

The PC differed from the regular Mustang in that all came with a unique front end....grille and air dam. All had a pretty decent performance suspension package with aluminum rims and very unusual Michelin TRX tires. All had Recaro front seats which were excellent.

The '79 PC design and features were recycled pretty much untouched 2 years later to make the 1981 - 82 Mustang GT.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Magic Rat,

It certainly appears you and I have had similar experience over the years. Where you from? (he said with his best "billy bob" accent)

Jim
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical