Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #61
Mbriggs
AF Newbie

Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

I'd post this as a new thread to get more visibility.
01 Saturn L200 165K

7 previous Caravans/Voyagers
Mbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #62
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbriggs View Post
I'd post this as a new thread to get more visibility.
...and you are in the Caravan forum. Post this on the LHS forum to get more specific info.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #63
Tomturansky
AF Newbie

Has anybody fixed their splice and groud strap + had the car starting to work?
Tomturansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #64
grizlbr
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

2002 Caravan chassis ground wire and ground from battery bolts to intake manifold by thermostat housing. One I repaired was cut and twisted together when transmission was 'rebuilt'.
grizlbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #65
Gold Top
AF Newbie

So I am looking for my third one of these masterpieces. Yes I owned an 88 rebuilt trans once, an 96 rebuilt trans twice. Now i am looking for a used one again from 02 to 06. I had thought that possibly I wouldn't have to worry about this any longer. Am I mistaken?
Gold Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #66
ChryslerCirrus
AF Newbie

I too am having transmission problems with my Chrysler Cirrus. I am also having problems with the throttle and idling as well. I own a 1996 Cirrus 2.5 V6. I have replaced the fuel pump, and filter. Now I am having problems with it going out of 2nd gear. When it shifts from first the RPMs run high and the same when it goes into 2nd. It will not go into Overdrive. It runs at 3500 RPM with the speed at 55. I know this is not normal. I put it on a machine and it told me that there were many sensors bad. I do not know where to start. I need to know where the tranni sensor, oxygen sensor, and any other sensor that may be causeing this issue are located. I am so ready to give up on this car. Thanks for any help you can offer.
ChryslerCirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #67
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerCirrus View Post
I too am having transmission problems with my Chrysler Cirrus. I am also having problems with the throttle and idling as well. I own a 1996 Cirrus 2.5 V6. I have replaced the fuel pump, and filter. Now I am having problems with it going out of 2nd gear. When it shifts from first the RPMs run high and the same when it goes into 2nd. It will not go into Overdrive. It runs at 3500 RPM with the speed at 55. I know this is not normal. I put it on a machine and it told me that there were many sensors bad. I do not know where to start. I need to know where the tranni sensor, oxygen sensor, and any other sensor that may be causeing this issue are located. I am so ready to give up on this car. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Component locations and system info can be far different on a Caravan. Copy and paste your post as a new thread on the Cirrus forum.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
roosternc86
AF Newbie

Smile Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

so i have a 1996 dodge carovan se 3.3 with an A 604 i rebuilt it my self. my sister thought it would be a great idea to shift into reverse from drive at 60 mph. the plantinary gears was pissed. never got that tranny apart. so i got a core and rebuilt it myself. it worked fine for a while. ive since the replaced three solenoid packs. it burns up third gear every time. so i took a couple of them apart and made one work. you guys that are have probloms with whinning and haveing to rev it up to get it to move . you have one of two probloms. torque converter has shelled itself or the filters on the bottom side of the solenoid pack are clogged. the man that tault me about trannys once worked for dodge and knows all the tricks. i bult 46re and 904 ,727,and 46re. they all work fine. my grand father bought a 85 ram slant six with 727 he said it shifted smoother than factory. if yall have a question fell free to ask.. im a mopar goorue. as for the red wires splice i have never heard of that but i will ask my teach..
roosternc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #69
1996ctnc
AF Newbie

I just spent the afternoon looking for the infamous "three wire splice". What I found was in the harness that comes out of the TCM two red wires going into a splice and two red wires coming out of the splice before it went into the main harness. It was very well protected with heat shrink and looked fine I did not mess with it.
1996ctnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #70
ojm37a

Exclamation Re: EveryOne with Transmission problems... A Chrysler Secret...! Read This...!

Our '97 Dodge Grand Caravan has just started doing something similar (155K miles). The difference is that it does not shift at all. Just stays in 1st (or 2nd?) all the time. No going to Neutral. The check engine light comes on, but if I take the battery terminals off, wait a minute and put them back on the trans goes back to shifting normally for a couple of days. Then back to the no-shift situation.

I've yet to climb under and look for the grounding or splices....

Ideas?

Last edited by ojm37a; 02-29-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling error.
ojm37a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #71
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojm37a View Post
Our '97 Dodge Grand Caravan has just started doing something similar (155K miles). The difference is that it does not shift at all. Just stays in 1st (or 2nd?) all the time. No going to Neutral. The check engine light comes on, but if I take the battery terminals off, wait a minute and put them back on the trans goes back to shifting normally for a couple of days. Then back to the no-shift situation.

I've yet to climb under and look for the grounding or splices....

Ideas?
You would have been better off starting your own thread instead of tacking on to this book but you're here so....

You've probably read about "limp mode" since you're posting in this thread. You've probably read you have a few options. (1) Most change the input/output sensors with little success. (2) Dropping the pan/changing the fluid and filter will give you an opportunity to check for debris. If it's there you need a rebuild. (3) a tranny shop or anyone with a transmission specific scanner can check for two digit transmission codes that can reveal clues as to what is wrong.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #72
ojm37a

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try after vacation is over and post any results.
ojm37a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #73
Vanmat17
AF Newbie

I bought a 2005 ram new. I noticed the transmission slipping fairly quickly mainly in reverse. They told me nothing was wrong. I was 38 and had owned enough cars with slipping transmissions to know better. I talked to my friend who sent me to the dealership because his friend was the sales manager. Took it back.and they found a factory bulletin. Something about being double filtered.( B.S?) Has anyone else come across this?
Its 2012 ive got 40k on the truck with alot of towing miles and it has been doingg fine. I am not light on the gas towing or not." Drive it like you stole it."
I have just added about 2k lbs of full time weight to it because I am starting my own hvac business and added a cap tools ladders etc. and will be using it daily. Im new here if someone can give me heads up on air bags or helper springs would greatly be appreciated.
Vanmat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #74
JoMama509th
AF Newbie

Everyone should pay attention: I own a computer module which I plugged into my 1996 Dodge Caravan, and I've been experiencing the same "limp mode" most of you have... but I solved it. My Caravan is working great now - and it only took four hours.

I bought a computer diagnostic module on ebay for about $70 that is supposed to diagnose my caravan's problems - it came up with "Shift Solenoid" 1 of 1, which one diagnosis of one - no other probs detected.

So... I went to the autoparts store: $199. I bought it, in the thin hope it would work. In the 1996 model, the solenoid is external to the tranny, so it's a pretty easy fix. I took it to a toyota mechanic who is a friend of a friend... he said he'd replace it for $100... it would take maybe an hour, in his driveway, on a Sunday evening. He has all the tools, jacks, etc... and he seemed to have some real working knowledge.

It took him three hours... apparently there were sensors mounted above it, and other wiring that had to be disconnected and reconnected... but when he was finished - low and behold I had my Caravan back working perfectly!

Oh BTW, he ALSO used his diagnostic tool to plug into my computer diagnostic panel (located to the lower right of your steering wheel). He got the same diagnosis: Shift Solenoid"

I hope this helps... often successful solutions don't find their way here, just the problems... I have to admit, it was a BITCH to log in and get my password and ID finally accepted... but I felt that if I could help the dozens of you having the same problem, a "Known Good" up to now, anyway, tranny, there's no reason to spend a grand or more when you can get it fixed for about $300. Good luck all.
JoMama509th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoMama509th For This Useful Post:
jamesslcx (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #75
RIP
AF -Advisor

You are a lucky soul. Many times a particular scanner will say this or that but it turns out to be something in left field. A scanner can put you in the ball park but that ballpark can be a monster.