Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
CarCrazyRDM
AF Newbie

Re: Clock Spring Replacement

You guys that have had bad clock springs, the "spring"/wire has not physically been broken correct? I'm assuming the fine wires inside that loom just end up breaking over time. Mine looks OK and I was wondering if I could test the resistance in the cable if someone knew what it should be.

I have also been getting code 32 and I've already checked the plug under the driver's seat. It looks like maybe that had been a problem in the past before me b/c it has already been spliced (and to my surprise properly I might add). So I am fairly certain my problem is the clock spring. Right now all the steering wheel controls seem to work but the up volume button seems to change the station 75% of the time.

Where's the cheapest place to pick one of these puppies up anyway?

Thanks guys,
Ryan
CarCrazyRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #17
tkswan
AF Regular

I got mine at Fast parts network. See an earlier post on this thread from shorod. Your issue sounds like classic clockspring issue. I dont know of any tests that you can do on it but my issue started with the radio controls, then the cruise control, then horn etc.If you decide to replace it then may I suggest that you read all the instructions and tips in this thread. Extremely helpful information compiled here.

Good luck Sir.
big dave (03-01-2015)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #18
nuckolsk
NUCKOLS

got code b1932 but no other radio,criuse,horn etc. problems. just stupid light keeping me from passing state inspection. what else could be cause if not clock spring having this code?
nuckolsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckolsk View Post
got code b1932 but no other radio,criuse,horn etc. problems. just stupid light keeping me from passing state inspection. what else could be cause if not clock spring having this code?
It could be a defective driver's airbag, bad wiring, or a defective RCM (SRS module), but it is almost always the clockspring. Why are you dismissing the most common cause of a code 32? The clockspring has several conductors in it, one for the cruise, one for the airbag, one for the radio controls, one for the backlighting... If only the airbag one breaks, then only the airbag function will fail.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:01 AM   #20
JTsmks
AF Newbie

I've already replaced my clock spring once now my airbag light is flashing then comes on steady....you've got to be kidding me that I may have to replace that thing again. Is there another source of problems simple to check? What the driver seat plug mentioned in this thread pertain to?
JTsmks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #21
joegr
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsmks View Post
I've already replaced my clock spring once now my airbag light is flashing then comes on steady....you've got to be kidding me that I may have to replace that thing again. Is there another source of problems simple to check? What the driver seat plug mentioned in this thread pertain to?
Yes, a broken wire at the connector under the driver's seat can cause the SRS light to flash. This seems to be not uncommon for the Gen I LS. I haven't much heard of it as an issue on the Gen II.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
Lbalex84
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Lbalex84

My 2001 Ls v6 did the exact same thing. I've always tried to figure out what the actual problem was, but I'm sure this will fix it. Started out about a yr ago buttons not functioning properly, the little by little they quit workin. Now I have no horn, no cruise, and can't use any buttons on the steering wheel. I hope this fixes it
Lbalex84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM   #23
34Ford
AF Newbie

Re: Clock Spring Replacement on a 2001

Just replaced the wifes '01 last night. It fixed it.

I was really sweating trying to get the steering wheel loose.
Using a 2 claw puller on cast parts is taking a big risk of breaking.
2010 Taurus Limited
34Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
bitkoinzz
AF Newbie

I followed the detailed step by step instructions at this post http://clockspringremoval.blogspot.com/ and it is spot on.

One note....
Since the steering wheel does not lock it is tough to get the center bolt loose by yourself. I used an electric impact wrench and it zipped right off.

Also you do not need steering wheel puller, just pull from the top, the the bottom , then the sides and the steering wheel will come right off.

Now here is the tricky part.. When you re install the steering wheel you will be using the center bolt to "push" the steering wheel back on.And since the wheel does not lock you will have an issue unless someone holds the wheel for you. I used the impact wrench to reinstall the center bolt but you must use an IMPACT T50 or you will break it.

Also don't over tighten because once the wheel is on as far as it will go the IMPACT T 50 will start to tear up the inside of the center bolt.
bitkoinzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #25
Evdog
AF Newbie

Can't seem to get a code but my clock stays on after I remove key and get out of car cd changer hunts for something to play and and I need a jump every morning does this sound like a clockspring issue?
Evdog is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ