Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #46
IgotGAME
AF Newbie

Re: LS making front end noise over bumps

Thank you for this thread!!

My struts have been replaced and I am still hearing the noise.

Now I see it's either the sway bar, stabilizer bar links or sway bar brushings thanks to you guys.

I am going to some part stores tonight to see what I can find out about ordering. Hopefully I can just get the stabilizer links and brushings, but we'll see.

BTW, how can you tell if you car has standard suspension or not??? This is what is confusing me.

I don't know which I need...I have a 2002 Lincoln LS - V6 - Chrome package and sunroof...I assume I have the sport, but which suspension is that?

Here is a picture of my car if it helps:

Now do I need:

BUSHINGS, LS6, w/o Standard Suspension
or
BUSHINGS, LS6, w/Standard Suspension

or just buy the whole sway bar set???

My LS Side View
My LS Angled View
My LS Front View
My LS Rear View

Last edited by IgotGAME; 12-26-2006 at 05:18 PM.
IgotGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #47
listenloud
AF Newbie

Check the web site I posted earlier for the parts listing.

You can verify the bushings are the cause of the problem before replacing by using a "shim" between the bushing and the frame of the car to tighten up the bushing. It is unlikely that the bushing wear will be detectable by feel. Loosen the bolts holding the clamp around the bushing, slide a piece of rubber tire patch (or similar material) between the bushing and the frame, tighten the bolts and test drive. If the noise is gone you know you have isolated the source.
listenloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #48
IgotGAME
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by listenloud
Check the web site I posted earlier for the parts listing.

You can verify the bushings are the cause of the problem before replacing by using a "shim" between the bushing and the frame of the car to tighten up the bushing. It is unlikely that the bushing wear will be detectable by feel. Loosen the bolts holding the clamp around the bushing, slide a piece of rubber tire patch (or similar material) between the bushing and the frame, tighten the bolts and test drive. If the noise is gone you know you have isolated the source.

I wish I actually knew how to do that

I have replaced the stabilizer links and I am still hearing a hollow sounding "boom boom" when I go over bumps...espcially if you go over little small bumps back to back to back. I think it's only on the driver's side, but I could be wrong on that.

I have a new sway bar in my trunk with new bushings on it and I think I am just going to have the whole new bar put on....my only worry is what if that doesn't fix the problem?? then I am out about $200. I guess I really don't have much of a choice at this point though.

My LS Side View
My LS Angled View
My LS Front View
My LS Rear View
Old 01-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #49
Joe_theboob
AF Newbie

It appears that you have replaced everything else that is in that neighborhood. At this point, the chances of the Bar bushings solving your problem are pretty good - in fact I'd say it's nearly 100%.
Joe_theboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:32 PM   #50
jerryls
AF Regular

I have a 2000 LS V8 123K hiway miles. I have a rattle when I go over bumps. I brought the car in to the dealer and they said I had worn lower ball joints and worn sway bar links. I paid the $1300 dollars to replace both. When I picked the car up they said I will still hear a slight squeaking noise because the sway bar bushings are worn. They said it's not a safety issue and Ford no longer sells the bushing seperate Therefore I would have to pay about $800 to replace the entire sway bar.
I paid the bill, drove away and heard the same annoying rattle as I heard when I brought it in.
If it is the bushings, can someone tell me what's involved to replace them myself and if I can buy them somewhere without replacing the entire swaybar?
Thanks,
jerryls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM   #51
IgotGAME
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryls
I have a 2000 LS V8 123K hiway miles. I have a rattle when I go over bumps. I brought the car in to the dealer and they said I had worn lower ball joints and worn sway bar links. I paid the $1300 dollars to replace both. When I picked the car up they said I will still hear a slight squeaking noise because the sway bar bushings are worn. They said it's not a safety issue and Ford no longer sells the bushing seperate Therefore I would have to pay about $800 to replace the entire sway bar.
I paid the bill, drove away and heard the same annoying rattle as I heard when I brought it in.
If it is the bushings, can someone tell me what's involved to replace them myself and if I can buy them somewhere without replacing the entire swaybar?
Thanks,
DO NOT let them rip you off like that...you can get the sway bar online at fastpartsnetwork for like $100-$120 and then the labor is like $150. You can no longer buy just the bushings...you have to buy the sway bar with bushings on it. It's no where NEAR $800 to have that replaced.

Just an FYI...I replaced my stabilizer links, struts, and sway bar/bushings before my noise went away. However,, my clunking sound over bumps is gone and everything sounds great now.

My LS Side View
My LS Angled View
My LS Front View
My LS Rear View
Old 03-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #52
jerryls
AF Regular

Thanks very much.
I will do it myself in the spring and try to never go to any dealer if I can avoid it.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #53
md1twal3
AF Newbie

Aftermarket Sway Bar Bushings:

Not sure of quality and fit, but found these combing e-bay. Having the clunk myself in 00 LS V-6, stick.

Both from same vendor:

Pair of Bar Bushings: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AVRI&viewitem=

Pair of Links: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-L...Q5fAccessories

If I try them soon, will report back. Anyone else, please do the same.
md1twal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #54
jerryls
AF Regular

Re: Aftermarket Sway Bar Bushings:

Thanks very much, they must be new. i now have trans problem, a big delay when put in reverse, then it jolts in like it's a stick car.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #55
md1twal3
AF Newbie

Re: Aftermarket Sway Bar Bushings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryls
Thanks very much, they must be new. i now have trans problem, a big delay when put in reverse, then it jolts in like it's a stick car.
I'm foturnate there, 5 spd manual, 6 cylinder. I've spent several hours reading up and researching the "common" LS issues.

good luck with the trans, sounds like there was a durability issue in the autos requiring rebuild or replace.

for me, it's the little things adding up. Fortunately, I am able to do the work myself or I don't know that I would own an LS at this point. Really like the car, just like the rest...little things add up and become big.

Great thread and all input has been valuable for me!
md1twal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #56
tkswan
AF Regular

Re: total Junk is the LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveortake
I bought a 2000 LS V8 Sport with 64,000 miles.. I now have 79k miles. Since then I have had the following issues:

1. Total Climate Control Module Failure: $850
2. Heated Seats: Crazy. Burn my butt sometimes othert timers don't work at all. Never looked into having them fixed.
3. Crazy engine/trans issue. Both check engine and trans light would come on periodically while excellerating at which time the car was puking. Answer: Dealership said 7 of 8 "coils" bad. Wanted $700 to replace them all. Upon further conversations and computer record reviews, they determined 3 of the 8 coils were actually mis firing. Had those three replaced 2 weeks ago for $400. Seems to be O.K. now, but I am leary that it isn't as smooth as it used to be. Not sure if that is perception or reality. Dealership coil tester apparently reads either good or bad under stress testing. Apparently 7 of mine were reading bad. What a fricken joke. Give me a good ole distributer........
4. Rear Brake Caliper needed to be replaced due to malfunction that burned through pad and router. Thus total brake job for $350 including caliper.
5. Damn car locks the doors randomly. No rhyme or reason. This is not user error. This is a car electrical issue. Thus after being locked out of the car twice at gas stations, I no longer EVER leave the keys in the car.
6. Leaky valve gaskets. $400 to fix. Leaving it alone.
7. Leaky headlights. Leaving it alone.
8. Random beeps peridoically while driving God knows from what. Beeps once then nothing. No idea.
9. Blows cold while idling. Dealer now says "thermostat" and is happy to replace the $13 part for $400 of labor.

Probably several other items I have forgotten at the moment that irk me.

So lets see other than not having any type of climate control in the cabin, the fact that I don't trust the engine & transmission, and with half of the lousy "luxary" items non working I don't see any reason why anyone would buy this car ever........... Especially with a 40k plus price tag. Who are they kidding? But hey I could continue to spend $500 a month in repairs/maintenance to the local dealership or I can throw this thing away and put a turnequte on to stop the hemmorenging.

Plus side. Car is dang fast and has nice radio. Oops forgot to mention that when I use the up/down volume controls on the steering wheel it will often times randomly change the station to the next preset...

End result. I got hosed. This car is junk. I sure wish I had my 1997 sable with 130k miles back........

yep, the LS is the second woman and just as high maintenance as the first. But the LS is a different kind of love. both wives are frustrating as hell sometimes. But they both look and drive nicely. Luckily im a good wrench and have a career to keep them both happy.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #57
jerryls
AF Regular

Re: total Junk is the LS

I have the same car, 2000LSV8, I bought it new. It was Motor trend's "car of the year". I had most of the problems you mentioned. They fixed them and after 2002 the LS was a pretty good car.
The coil/plug problems need to be fixed. It's caused by the inside valve gasket leaking oil into the plug hole eventually causing failure. They fixed the gasket and they don't leak any longer. I'm convinced the missing, destroyed my transmission at 60K miles. From 60K to $160K miles, I had little problems and the engine still runs great. There are alot of electrical issues though, but if you can live with them I'd keep it as the resale value is nill. You can get another 100k miles out of it, by just changing the oil regularly. Turn up the 11 speaker sound system so you don't hear the problems.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #58
kcobra
AF Newbie

I've got an 04 LS V-8 sport. Love the car. Goes perfect. I just started to get the clunk in front and thought it might be a strut mount but will look at the stabilizer deal first. Thanks.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #59
jerryls
AF Regular

It's hard to diagnose if they are bad. There will not be any loseness or rattling visible by crawling under the car and shaking things. If nothing else is bad, it's probably the sway bar bushings. I never did fix it. I just put some pipe insulation on the bar to deaden the noise a bit. The good news is that it does no harm to the tires, alignment, ride etc. The strut bar still performs, its jsut an annoying metal to metal noise.
Good Luck with yours.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #60
kcobra
AF Newbie

My noise is funny. It sounds like it's coming from right under the hood yet I can feel something in my foot.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ