Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #1
gadan
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
power doors lock problem

My Chevy Venture 1998 power lock doors will unlock but won't lock. Checked fuse and is ok. Any ideas? Thanks.
gadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:08 PM   #2
broughy84
AF Enthusiast
 
broughy84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bicknell, Indiana
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
will they unlock with the key, hold your key in the unlock position in the door and it should unlock all the doors. How about with the keyless entry button? You could have a bad switch.
__________________
Matthew Brough
1997 Geo Prizm -- 301,000 miles
2000 Honda Accord -- 225,000 miles
2004 GMC Yukon XL -- 223,000 miles

1987 Jeep Comanche -- 116,000 miles


broughy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:38 PM   #3
gadan
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: power doors lock problem

The key works fine, but the switch won't lock. I don't know why the unlock works but won't lock. Do you think I have to replace the switch?
gadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:53 PM   #4
hockeyfan_019
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Clinton Twp, Michigan
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just fixed this problem on my '98 Montana last weekend. The A/C drain tube is probably off from the firewall, and you probably have a bad splice in either the light blue or white (I don't know which is unlock and which is lock) just forward of the door opening on the pass side.

To fix it, pull up the sill plate trim on the pass side (front) door, and lift back the carpeting under the floor. Look in the big bundle of wires in there, and follow the light blue and white wires toward the firewall about 12" until you see several taped splices. These are probably corroded. Untape the wires, cut out the damaged wires, and solder new wire in place, followed by heatshrink. Probably best to do both wires, although one of your seems to work right now, it may be just about gone.

The other problem regards the tube that is probably missing from the A/C drain in front of the firewall. It's nearly impossible to see, but it's about 6" behind the engine, toward the driver side from the gap on the side witht he drive belt, anout 6" up from the bottom of the firewall. The tube is necessary because the a/c water drains FORWARD (Duh, nice design) and when you drive it blows back in, and overflows under the carpet. A new "L fitting" tube only costs $4.30 (dealer price) and it'll fix the "water in the pass footwell area" problem.

Good luck!
hth, Tom
hockeyfan_019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:52 PM   #5
gadan
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: power doors lock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan_019
I just fixed this problem on my '98 Montana last weekend. The A/C drain tube is probably off from the firewall, and you probably have a bad splice in either the light blue or white (I don't know which is unlock and which is lock) just forward of the door opening on the pass side.

To fix it, pull up the sill plate trim on the pass side (front) door, and lift back the carpeting under the floor. Look in the big bundle of wires in there, and follow the light blue and white wires toward the firewall about 12" until you see several taped splices. These are probably corroded. Untape the wires, cut out the damaged wires, and solder new wire in place, followed by heatshrink. Probably best to do both wires, although one of your seems to work right now, it may be just about gone.

The other problem regards the tube that is probably missing from the A/C drain in front of the firewall. It's nearly impossible to see, but it's about 6" behind the engine, toward the driver side from the gap on the side witht he drive belt, anout 6" up from the bottom of the firewall. The tube is necessary because the a/c water drains FORWARD (Duh, nice design) and when you drive it blows back in, and overflows under the carpet. A new "L fitting" tube only costs $4.30 (dealer price) and it'll fix the "water in the pass footwell area" problem.

Good luck!
hth, Tom

Thank you very much for your help. I will check those wires this weekend.
gadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
driver2004
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Etobicoke
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: power doors lock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadan
I will check those wires this weekend.
Hi gardan,

did you check wires? did it help?
I have the same problem this morning...
driver2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:53 PM   #7
gadan
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: chesapeake, Virginia
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: power doors lock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver2004
Hi gardan,

did you check wires? did it help?
I have the same problem this morning...

I found the light blue wires and reattached them and now works fine. Thank you all VERY MUCH for the advice.

Gabe
gadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
ChoochCharlie
AF Newbie
 
ChoochCharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South East, Pennsylvania
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: power doors lock problem

Bump.
My passenger door switch works intermittently. Not predictable.
My drivers side switch does not work.
Do you think the above advice applies? I have not noticed condensate leakage and have not explored the hose fix described.
ChoochCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:37 AM   #9
pastaben
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manalapan, New Jersey
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: power doors lock problem

I have a 99 Venture, and just noticed this:
I can lock/unlock with the remote. I have it programmed to lock when out of park, and unlock when in park, even with engine running.

I just noticed that on the Driver's Door lock switch, inside, I can lock, but the doors will not unlock. This is true whether engine on or not. The passenger side switch will lock and unlock.

Do you think this is a switch thing? OR a programming thing? And if so, what can I do to lock/unlock with the drivers side switch?

Thank you.
pastaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
shogunl
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: power doors lock problem

I would suggest you first look at the door contacts. They are located on sliding door and door piller. I just cleaned them and mine works fine. Just bit of corrosion.
shogunl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:40 PM   #11
pastaben
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manalapan, New Jersey
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: power doors lock problem

shogunl, thank you, but I don't understand. My doors do lock and unlock with switches or remotes, but from the driver's side, when I push unlock, nothing happens. What does that have to do with teh sliding door and door contacts? It's pouring rain here today and tomorrow, so I won't do it, but if you still think its a contacts thing, I'll check when rain lets up.

Thanks,
pastaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #12
GregA
AF Enthusiast
 
GregA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 801
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: power doors lock problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastaben
Do you think this is a switch thing? OR a programming thing? And if so, what can I do to lock/unlock with the drivers side switch?
If it was me, I would go for the driver's side switch first. Easy to get to and test.
__________________
Greg A.
2001 Chevy Venture w/some "enhancements" ~ 105K Miles (Dec. 2010)
1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, Automatic ~ 155K Miles (Dec 2010)
GregA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
pastaben
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Manalapan, New Jersey
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: power doors lock problem

Hi,
It works now...I just hit the "Unlock" real hard, and it now works.
Thanks
pastaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
horphmyre
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Windsor
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: power doors lock problem

I have been having a similar problem with my 2005 Venture. And like you folk, it started with the air conditioning. In my case however, the mat that was soaked was the driver's side. My lock buttons began unlocking but would not relock the doors. The remote worked though.

I took the air conditioning problem to the dealer originally but they didn't have a clue what was wrong. I checked out a forum where I learned about the elbow. I had to tell the dealer what the part number was and how to install it. But happily, no more water. Thanks for the advice about the wires. I will check into that immediately.
horphmyre is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Venture

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts