Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
schri00
AF Newbie

transmission fluid change interval

How often do you need to change the automatic transmission oil in a 2000 Dodge Neon?
schri00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

Send a message via AIM to das2123 Send a message via Yahoo to das2123
Re: transmission fluid change interval

I do believe its every 100,000 miles.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
schri00
AF Newbie

Great. Thanks das...
schri00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
vXv_crucial_vXv
AF Newbie

How often do you need to change manual tranny fluid?
Would it be the same?
vXv_crucial_vXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

The manual fluid doesn't require the change but rather as needed. As long as it shifts fine, no need to change it.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
vXv_crucial_vXv
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by das2123 View Post
The manual fluid doesn't require the change but rather as needed. As long as it shifts fine, no need to change it.
okay, was just making sure. I mean I know how to check it but have only owned one manual tranny before this soooo...figured I would ask.

Last edited by vXv_crucial_vXv; 08-09-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: italics
vXv_crucial_vXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
XWrench3
AF Newbie

i own a 97 neon, and i certainly wouldn't wait till 100,000 miles to service the tranny! i have been changing the fluid / filter every 40,000. this is the first time we ever bought a brand new car, and i wanted it to last. it has gone better than 200,000 miles so far, and we recently had a horrific incident with the transmission. its survival i have to believe was due to the maintenance keeping the transmission in good condition. on the 97, the kick down shaft is siameesed inside of the gear selector shaft. the kickdown shaft had gotten rusted to the point where it froze inside the gear selector. when i tried to pass another vehicle, pressing on the accelerator moved the gear selector into reverse (becuase the pressure broke the end off the gear selector cable) at 50 mph! the car stalled, and we were stranded, as it would not restart. i had it towed home, expecting that the transmission would probably be junk. longer story shortened, i made the repairs, put it back together, and everything survived! what a relief! we have driven it roughly 3,000 miles since, and not even so much as a hiccup from the transmission. moral of the story, keep the transmission in great condition, and it will give you a long and happy service life. ignore it, and you will be facing a very expensive rebuild.
XWrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWrench3 View Post
i own a 97 neon, and i certainly wouldn't wait till 100,000 miles to service the tranny! i have been changing the fluid / filter every 40,000. this is the first time we ever bought a brand new car, and i wanted it to last. it has gone better than 200,000 miles so far, and we recently had a horrific incident with the transmission. its survival i have to believe was due to the maintenance keeping the transmission in good condition. on the 97, the kick down shaft is siameesed inside of the gear selector shaft. the kickdown shaft had gotten rusted to the point where it froze inside the gear selector. when i tried to pass another vehicle, pressing on the accelerator moved the gear selector into reverse (becuase the pressure broke the end off the gear selector cable) at 50 mph! the car stalled, and we were stranded, as it would not restart. i had it towed home, expecting that the transmission would probably be junk. longer story shortened, i made the repairs, put it back together, and everything survived! what a relief! we have driven it roughly 3,000 miles since, and not even so much as a hiccup from the transmission. moral of the story, keep the transmission in great condition, and it will give you a long and happy service life. ignore it, and you will be facing a very expensive rebuild.
I put over 150,000 miles on an auto tranny on a 99 sport and only changed the fluid and filter at 100,000 miles. Shifted smooth with no problems at all. Even if it had broke down on me, you don't pay to rebuild the tranny, you buy a used one and throw it in there for about $100-$200

The neon's auto tranny was extremely well built from the factory and putting the correct fluid in there is more critical than changing fluid every 40,000 miles. I am not saying not to keep doing what you are doing, you just may be overdoing it. But, if it gives you peace of mind...that is hard to beat.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
XWrench3
AF Newbie

well,i have had transmission trouble in the past, and for me, it is way to much work to do myself. and having "professionals" rebuild them twice, has resulted in nothing but problems with their rebuilds. now, at the first sign of transmission trouble, i get rid of the vehicle. it simply is not worth the hassle of having the transmission rebuilt, and rebuilt, and rebuilt. actually the best "fix" for an automatic transmission is what i did the last time i bought a vehicle. BUY A MANUAL TRANSMISSION MODEL!
XWrench3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

The problem with having a auto tranny rebuilt is they are outsourced to a company that will do it cheap, thus creating more issues. That's why I say to get a used one that hasn't been touched.